Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I started listening to Amazon music through my HT system. Sounds great, but I am afraid of burn in on my tv. They don’t show videos they project a static image that last the duration of each video.

Do I have a real concern?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I started listening to Amazon music through my HT system. Sounds great, but I am afraid of burn in on my tv. They don’t show videos they project a static image that last the duration of each video.

If you have an OLED tv it might be a problem. LCD tvs are not subject to burn int.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Turn the TV off once it is playing...

Plasma, OLED, CRT would be potentially at risk, but you'd have to leave it on for LONG periods of time in most cases.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Turn the TV off once it is playing...

Plasma, OLED, CRT would be potentially at risk, but you'd have to leave it on for LONG periods of time in most cases.
Yeah turn the tv off since your not watching any video. No sense taking a chance of burn in however unlikely it might be.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
If I turrn the tv off no signal will go to the stereo.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well FWIW any display can be subject to burn in, but as others have mentioned most modern displays wont. It's a non issue unless pure neglect is achieved.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Well FWIW any display can be subject to burn in, but as others have mentioned most modern displays wont. It's a non issue unless pure neglect is achieved.
I have never seen or heard of anyone who complained of burn in when using an LCD tv.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not common but can happen
I've seen it with OLD LCD TVs but it was a display unit that was rotating the same content for a few years. It isn't the same as burn in, where the image is literally burned into the screen, it is an alteration to the color where the image was, but the effect is similar. Newer LCDs this is even less likely.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've seen it with OLD LCD TVs but it was a display unit that was rotating the same content for a few years. It isn't the same as burn in, where the image is literally burned into the screen, it is an alteration to the color where the image was, but the effect is similar. Newer LCDs this is even less likely.
More retention. Rear projection LCD and DLPs had some issues but as you stated , it was mostly with specific content like CNBC ticker types. Not common but has happened.

Last edited:
Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
We are all entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.
I worked in a facility that had several hundred LCD computer screens running 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, most of them had static images on them for many hours at a time. I worked there for years. There was never even one screen that had burn in. Incidentally, that is a fact, not an opinion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I worked in a facility that had several hundred LCD computer screens running 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, most of them had static images on them for many hours at a time. I worked there for years. There was never even one screen that had burn in. Incidentally, that is a fact, not an opinion.
There are a number of different types of LCD panels and some it pretty much won't happen on. More or less, in the last 5-7 years, maybe 10 years, it is very unlikely to happen on any of them. It was more of a color drift than what is known as burn-in, but today's panels are fairly immune to it. We have one in our lobby right now that has been running the same thing for maybe 1 1/2-2yrs and it does not have this issue.

brettski

brettski

Audiophyte

What brand TV?

Some modern TV's have an option to disable the display but keep everything else running. Presumably in anticipation of the exact use case you are describing; wanting to output audio from your TV and not wanting to keep the screen on the whole time.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic

I have my pc connected to my home theater for gaming and have one of the last “dumb” Samsung plasma TVs. I occasionally get some residual image if I leave something up for more than hour but even after a solid day of game UIs being on the screen it all clears up after a couple minutes running the scroller.

It took 10 minutes of scrolling to get rid of the pillar box image after a TNG binge though lol

J

Jon Eilers

Audiophyte
I'm confused, as to Why QLED needs screen burn in and not LED, is that actually true?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis