Scotch & 7 on the rocks

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Just one of them days where a scotch and 7 on the rocks sounds really, really good.

Anyone else?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well its only noon here but prefer my scotch neat or with a touch of water but never 7up or other mixers....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
many a Scot adds a wee bit of spring water to their dram of Whisky, as do I.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. Few drops of water is as genuine as the beverage itself.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Spent 2 weeks in Scotland earlier this year, 5 distillery tours, incredible time, only had rain 2 days !

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Spent 2 weeks in Scotland earlier this year, 5 distillery tours, incredible time, only had rain 2 days !
Which ones did you see? I spent 17 days over there with my wife's brother sister and her husband. I missed Islay which is the home of Bowmore, a peated Scotch which I really like. The ones that spring to mind as of this post is Talisker, Glendronnoch ( I snagged a 21 yr old Scotch) and Glenlivvet. There were more but I have to think about it :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Which ones did you see? I spent 17 days over there with my wife's brother sister and her husband. I missed Islay which is the home of Bowmore, a peated Scotch which I really like. The ones that spring to mind as of this post is Talisker, Glendronnoch ( I snagged a 21 yr old Scotch) and Glenlivvet. There were more but I have to think about it :)
We toured..........Oban, Tomatin, Glenlivet, Aberlour and Glenfarclas. Brought home two bottles that could not be purchased here...... a special bottling of Oban (limited to 6000 bottles) available only at the distillery and an 18 old Aberlour.

I too love the Islay region of Whisky's , Lagavulin 16 being my favorite. Hopefully I'll get back there.

The Isle of Sky and St Andrews (stood the Swilken bridge) were two of my other highlights on the trip.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I like to taste the Scotch before the water and then use an eye dropper to add the water....do a before/after taste type of thing .:)
Yeah, I usually do 1 or 2 cubes of ice. Then, you get the neat flavor at first, and just a little chill + water as the drink progresses.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Jealous of you guys that got to tour the distilleries in Scotland. Some friends and I were going to do a mountain bike tour of distilleries, using one of our crew's grandparents' house as our base but unfortunately we had to cancel the first year due conflicting schedules on our side, but the next year the grandparents passed and we scrapped the plans altogether (and schedules on our side got worse anyways).

Islay would be where I'd head first if I do get over there. Lagavulin is my favorite, but love Laphroaig, Bowmore, etc. Love smoky peaty scotches. That special Oban sounds awesome, too. Ever get a chance to pick up this book, it's a nice basic guide to Whisk(e)y :)

I spoke with a master blender for Johnnie Walker at a scotch event about the water/ice thing and he said basically whatever floats your boat...he did both a bit of water or on the rocks as to what pleased him at the moment....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Since we're on the Scotland thing ..........here are a couple of pics of interest, the oldest cask of Tomatin (50 years), valued @ 3 million pounds and the rarest of the Glenlevit, also 50 years old, one of only 4 bottles left. It can be yours for a mere 30,000 pounds !

IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
exactly and that was talked about quite a bit, especially with regards to the Tomatin cask.

Also of note, 20% of all the distilleries in Scotland are owned by the Japanese and there is more gin distilled in Scotland than in England.
Seems most of the distilleries are now owned by conglomerates, increasingly outside the UK (let alone Scotland) like India, Japan, France and even the US. Kinda like what will eventually happen to our craft beer industry in the US....

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I like to taste the Scotch before the water and then use an eye dropper to add the water....do a before/after taste type of thing .:)
I agree. I don't like water in my drinks at all, I was just saying it is common and nothing wrong with adding some. I usually chill the drink itself and as it warms up to room temp I enjoy different scents in it.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Seems most of the distilleries are now owned by conglomerates, increasingly outside the UK (let alone Scotland) like India, Japan, France and even the US. Kinda like what will eventually happen to our craft beer industry in the US....
I enjoy heavily peated Scotch and when I want something unpeated I reach for Cognac rather than unpeated whisky.

These products are dependent on recipes, I'm not so worried about distilleries changing hands. It is easily detectable when it's bad and it's too risky to make it bad. I expect after some time it will change hands again.

Besides, Japanese make some otherworldly whiskies.

Perhaps it's not even bad to change hands because it is mainly a losing business. It needs fresh investments after some time. Rich people buy these brands out of prestige and sell when loses are too great. Walker can make money exporting hundreds of millions into China, but some mid size distilleries have it somewhat harder.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Since we're on the Scotland thing ..........here are a couple of pics of interest, the oldest cask of Tomatin (50 years), valued @ 3 million pounds and the rarest of the Glenlevit, also 50 years old, one of only 4 bottles left. It can be yours for a mere 30,000 pounds !

View attachment 22900 View attachment 22901
I saw that.. I should have snapped a photo when I was there. I must say that being teh last tour for teh day, they were rather generous with their samples. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis