Saving Private Ryan DTS

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Hi all, I'm new to these forums and I'm looking for a dvd to really show off my new sound system, and I heard Saving Private Ryan DTS is the best. Now, where can I find it? All of them I've seen are DD, which really pisses me off. Where would you look if you were in my position, and, am I right to say that saving private ryan DTS is one of the best sounding dvds? Is there anything else that comes close or bests it? Thanks for any help.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Master and Commander in DTS. You hear the wooden ship creak its way over the waves. And when canons come into play, you could use seat belts for your seats in the HT room.

Flight of the Phoenix in DTS. Imagine a big aircraft flying a few feet above your head, coming straight at you, and you hear and feel the rumbling sound of engines over you, beside you and in the back of you.

Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
mfabien said:
Master and Commander in DTS. You hear the wooden ship creak its way over the waves. And when canons come into play, you could use seat belts for your seats in the HT room.

Flight of the Phoenix in DTS. Imagine a big aircraft flying a few feet above your head, coming straight at you, and you hear and feel the rumbling sound of engines over you, beside you and in the back of you.

I gotta second Master and Commander... it's absolutely awesome. The first 10 minutes would make a great demo for your system :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do a search, this sort of thing gets discussed all the time.

I'd add: War of the Worlds DTS.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to buy saving private ryan dts used, I don't think I wanna come up with 40 bucks for a big box set. Ya all of these movies listed are great, I just watched master and commander and it blew me away. I wish I could get a hold on a demo disk DTS uses..

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Search Ebay for 'DTS Demo DVD'.
In #9 the audio track SWEDISH RADIO / THE RUN is awesome, I nearly sh*t myself at the start of it:D

I use this dvd and 'THE THX ULTIMATE DEMO DISC' for my demo's there are some great clip in both of them

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Saving Private Ryan is a good demo, albeit a bit "long in the tooth." I think it's been eclipsed by some better discs. However, the movie itself is terrific- so many "demo discs" are worthless for actually watching.

I'll also say the demo thing has sort of played itself out for me. I've rattled all the windows with every F/X spectular out there, now I'm more into subtlety. I second Master and Commander, much more complexity and detail than most. There's bombast in the battle scenes where the cannonballs crash thru the planks and you can hear the splinters rain around you, but you get great sounds of the sails creaking, etc too. Likewise, The Red Violin is a great demo due to the skillfully played and recorded music (mostly by Joshua Bell). It helps that both of these are really fine movies.

If an F/X bonanza is what you want, Final Fantasy is very impressive too. Add to that list Titan AE for some incredible LFE (especially in the Ice Field scenes and the beginning where Earth is blown to bits). And of course the DVD set of the original Star Wars trilogy.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
Search Ebay for 'DTS Demo DVD'.
In #9 the audio track SWEDISH RADIO / THE RUN is awesome, I nearly sh*t myself at the start of it:D

I use this dvd and 'THE THX ULTIMATE DEMO DISC' for my demo's there are some great clip in both of them
Concerning the Swedish DTS radio demo,

go to:

http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm

Scroll down to "The Banff Demo" and follow instructions to copy and burn to an audio CD. Then play it using your DVD player.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I love the Banff demo, and I got a copy of the DTS demo disc as well that is pretty good, lots of nice demo stuff on there.

Blackhawk Down in DTS (Superbit) is also a good movie as well.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
I tried playing the banff demo and my receiver didn't recognize it and all I heard was hissing... what did I do wrong and do you guys think this could of damaged my equipment?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
5.1 DTS guy said:
I tried playing the banff demo and my receiver didn't recognize it and all I heard was hissing... what did I do wrong and do you guys think this could of damaged my equipment?
In your DVD player, did you enable "DTS Bitstream"?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
5.1 DTS guy said:
Ya thats always on.
...and your receiver is on "Auto" or "DTS"? Connected to your DVD player via a digital connection (optical or coaxial)?

annunaki

annunaki

Toy story 2 was always an excellent demo. The new one is available today with a DTS soundtrack. The Incredibles, Jurrasic Park and U-571 also come to mind.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
mfabien said:
...and your receiver is on "Auto" or "DTS"? Connected to your DVD player via a digital connection (optical or coaxial)?
Yeah, all my dvds work and activate dd or dts when I insert them. Its just when I inserted that cd all I heard was buzzing and no audio format appeared on my receiver. Thats not my main concern, i'm just wondering whether that could of messed up my equipment.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
5.1 DTS guy said:
Yeah, all my dvds work and activate dd or dts when I insert them. Its just when I inserted that cd all I heard was buzzing and no audio format appeared on my receiver. Thats not my main concern, i'm just wondering whether that could of messed up my equipment.
If your speakers still sound the same as they did after you played the banff demo, then you didn't mess anything up. I had a similar experience with a dts/THX demo disc, all the audio worked fine except for Jurrasic Park, I had the same noise as you descibe. I told the guy that I got the disc from about it and he said that it works on some dvd players and not others, so I guess your dvd player just doesn't like that particular track for some reason, try another dvd player and I bet it will work fine.

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
There are tons out there..personally I like..

U-571 - depth charges are amazing
I, Robot - some serious low end bass there
Matrix - The lobby shootout is a great way to test your highs and mids, plus its short and sweet

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis