Saving Private Ryan DTS

D

DJ Scotty

Banned
Let's set the record straight here:

DreamWorks' Saving Private Ryan in DTS used to be the demo disc to have -- playing that Omaha Beach sequence in DTS at loud levels yielded ear bleeding audio that put the listener right in the middle of that war....

That said, now, the demo disc to have is DreamWorks' War of the Worlds remake in DTS (does not have to be purchased separately as SPR did) -- the sequence where the machines are stomping and breaking through the streets is downright spine-tingling in DTS...that's the absolute demo DTS disc right now. I'll try to get my review up if have not already done so in here...

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I just watched Saving Private Ryan on my system for the first time... I only have the DD version and I thought the sound was poorly mixed... I just felt like I was sitting in front of the movie and not in it, I just didn't feel it.

I guess I'll just have to find the DTS one!

~Chuck

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I've heard some say that that is one of the best Dolby Digital mixes out there, if you didn't like it, I don't think you will find the DTS version to be that much better, although it is somewhat better.

D

DJ Scotty

Banned
Yes, the DTS version is THE version to own on this title...DO NOT "settle" for the Dolby variant, please.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
GlocksRock said:
I've heard some say that that is one of the best Dolby Digital mixes out there, if you didn't like it, I don't think you will find the DTS version to be that much better, although it is somewhat better.
Perhaps. I just felt that there wasn't much in the LFE department and the use of surrounds was sparse for a war movie. All is relative though because this movie is more important to me for its message, not in the surround mix (which is a close second :D).

~Chuck

D

DJ Scotty

Banned
CaliHwyPatrol said:
Perhaps. I just felt that there wasn't much in the LFE department and the use of surrounds was sparse for a war movie. All is relative though because this movie is more important to me for its message, not in the surround mix (which is a close second :D).

~Chuck
Chuck,

While I have only sampled the Dolby track on rare occasions (because of my absolute affection for the DTS mix) I can say that the DTS track is far from sparse in the surround usage and LFE, while not like War of the Worlds or The Haunting, was ever present especially during the Omaha Beach sequence. In fact, that sequence in particular provides a non stop barrage and absolute bombardment of surround effects as bullets ping by your head, mines explode and the cries from injured soldiers fill the soundstage. Before I heard War of the Worlds from DreamWorks also, I thought Saving Private Ryan possessed just about the best sound mix in DTS flavor.

While I respect your stance that you watch this piece of cinema for the message, I for one take it off the shelf strictly for the audio treats; its a hard film to sit through when taken for what it is as sometimes Spielberg slows the pace to an almost painful crawl.

But the DTS version of this title has NON STOP usage of the surrounds and healthy wallops of LFE. It is definitely the one to have.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
DJ Scotty said:
Yes, the DTS version is THE version to own on this title...DO NOT "settle" for the Dolby variant, please.
I second that! I have both the DD and DTS version (I purchased the DTS version last week). I put them both in my Integra DVD changer and played the Omaha beach scene in both DD and DTS. This is what I have to say about the comparison between the two:

THE DTS VERSION BLOWS DD COMPLETELY OUT OF THE PICTURE!!!:D Everything about the DTS soundtrack is far, far, far better then the DD version.

Now for the bad news... Good luck finding a new copy of the DTS version. I think it's been out of print since 1999.:(

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Mitch57, where did you get your dts copy? I just watched the Dolby Digital version for the first time on my system, and I was disappointed. Like other people said, I felt that I wasn't really "in" the action. When there were big explosions caused by tank fire I expected the Bass to explode to the roof. Instead, the sound was comparable to a pistol with a silencer and the LFE was contained/restrained. The surrounds were not used as much as they needed to be during intense battle scenes. But besides that, I do agree that Speilberg takes way too long to convey a message (this movie, Scindler's List, etc.), but by the end, you feel emotionally attached and the result is a great movie. Sometimes the longer the movie, the more profound an effect it has on you.

On another note, if you guys are looking for a great example of a DD mix, "Magnolia" by PT Anderson had a scene at the end that put my faith back into DD (its when the frogs fall from the sky)(don't ask). Anyways, what other movies do you guys think are great examples of DD mixes?

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
DJ Scotty said:
Chuck,

While I respect your stance that you watch this piece of cinema for the message, I for one take it off the shelf strictly for the audio treats; its a hard film to sit through when taken for what it is as sometimes Spielberg slows the pace to an almost painful crawl.
Oh, when I meant that the audio mix was a close second, I meant <i>really</i> close. Most of the movies I watch are because of the sound... That is one of the main reasons I still have a a tv that isn't even as wide as my center channel. However, I am a huge WWII buff so this one filled my fancy just right in that respect!

~Chuck

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DJ Scotty said:
That said, now, the demo disc to have is DreamWorks' War of the Worlds remake in DTS (does not have to be purchased separately as SPR did) -- the sequence where the machines are stomping and breaking through the streets is downright spine-tingling in DTS...that's the absolute demo DTS disc right now. I'll try to get my review up if have not already done so in here...
That movie is loud and has a lot of bass, but it is by no means one of the best mixed DVDs, nor is it THE demo disc. There are any number of discs with better mixes.

I don't think we need another review of WOW '05, there were already 2 full discussions on it.

SPR DTS is very well mixed. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's lost any of it's impact.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
j_garcia said:
That movie is loud and has a lot of bass, but it is by no means one of the best mixed DVDs, nor is it THE demo disc. There are any number of discs with better mixes.

I don't think we need another review of WOW '05, there were already 2 full discussions on it.

SPR DTS is very well mixed. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's lost any of it's impact.
You're arguing with a guy who's been banned. Save your keyboard the extra key strokes, it will last longer :D :D .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't mention that we didn't need another plagiarized review :rolleyes: I saw that he had been banned, but I though he was back already.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis