Same room different listening spots for music and movies.

S

Skijack03

Audiophyte
Hello, I have an open floor plan with the kitchen on one side and my couch and tv on the other. I set my 5.1 across the room. Way too wide to be proper. It fills the room with sound and movies sound good. My problem is when I listen to music I’m on the opposite side of the room at the kitchen island. In stereo or multi channel stereo you only hear the right side. The left side speakers are close to my tv area and only trying to reach 4-6’. The right side is trying to reach the couch at 25’. This works for sitting on the couch but when playing music the right side is a lot louder. You see my problem? My question is will a better AVR let me set individual speaker power for different sources?

I have a Denon S-750H under $500. Sounds good lakes bells and whistles.
Tank you!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I have an open floor plan with the kitchen on one side and my couch and tv on the other. I set my 5.1 across the room. Way too wide to be proper. It fills the room with sound and movies sound good. My problem is when I listen to music I’m on the opposite side of the room at the kitchen island. In stereo or multi channel stereo you only hear the right side. The left side speakers are close to my tv area and only trying to reach 4-6’. The right side is trying to reach the couch at 25’. This works for sitting on the couch but when playing music the right side is a lot louder. You see my problem? My question is will a better AVR let me set individual speaker power for different sources?

Tank you!
NO.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would install a second pair of speakers in the kitchen and use zone 2.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would install a second pair of speakers in the kitchen and use zone 2.
If not this, than it is a perfect opportunity to assemble a secondary, high performing portable system that can be stowed away between use.

Someone I know, recently approached me to build them a subwoofer on wheels that two satellite speakers and a small amp will fit atop of, that he can stow next to his sofa or in a closet when not in use. He wants furniture grade finish, and a sunbrella dust cover to keep it contained and clean. He wants the satellites to be able to be separated for stereo.

I'm thinking of making him (or me, for that matter) a slick looking portable system based on the Carmody Speedsters.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Tank you!
This is the reason speakers for general audio distribution often have dual voice coils or the setting for the distributed audio is set to Mono. A better AVR could do it if you set those to Mono, but I would look in the manual for the one you have and see if it's possible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why the different seating positions for one vs the other particularly? Got a diagram of the room/seating?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis