Salk Song3A...1st Impression

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just came across this, great PDF and write up! After living with the speakers for a year have your impression changed at all? Any upgrade feeling or you 100% content where your at?
In a word...no.

The Salks have nice bass 2.0. If that (2.0) was the long term intent in a room this size, I could see me wanting to upgrade to something with more ummph on the low end. But after playing them in a 2.1 mode imo they rival speakers that were over $15k. I have no desire to upgrade.

2channel lover

Great write up. Does Salk include the foam pads with the these speakers? AFAIK they increase vertical dispersion significantly and almost bring it up to the level of a typical 1" dome tweeter.
Maybe a question for Murphy or Jim.

In my experience not all ribbons are the same. The RAAL ribbon is an incredibly detailed driver...dispersion seemingly would come into play more if one is moving about vs sitting in the sweet spot.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In a word...no.

The Salks have nice bass 2.0. If that (2.0) was the long term intent in a room this size, I could see me wanting to upgrade to something with more ummph on the low end. But after playing them in a 2.1 mode imo they rival speakers that were over $15k. I have no desire to upgrade.
I ended up ordering subs for the 3e. At the MLP there is no issues without subs, just wanted the added low end for when I have company and the music isnt critical

2channel lover

I ended up ordering subs for the 3e. At the MLP there is no issues without subs, just wanted the added low end for when I have company and the music isnt critical
I remember that.

If my set up was in one of the extra bedrooms and I'm sitting 6-8' away, for most of my music I would probably be content with the S3A 2.0.

Even though I'm a music guy 1st and foremost, this was always going to be a dual purpose space, so subs were part of the plan from the beginning.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does Salk include the foam pads with the these speakers? AFAIK they increase vertical dispersion significantly and almost bring it up to the level of a typical 1" dome tweeter.
The ribbon tweeters on the various versions of Song3 models, do not require those foam pads to limit their vertical dispersion. The RAAL ribbon tweeters that came with those foam pads are different.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I ended up ordering subs for the 3e.
Sry if I missed it on another thread but what subs did you end up ordering?

Yeah it seems like unless you buy in insanely expensive pair of speakers subwoofers are generally needed. All the more reason I’m keeping my HSU for when I do the 2.1 system one day. Perhaps I’ll be joing the Salk club. ;) Both of you guys have some very sexy speakers.

Doses Salk have a show room? I would love to take a listen on day.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah it seems like unless you buy in insanely expensive pair of speakers subwoofers are generally needed.
Right. You can get speakers that can produce bass down to the ~35 Hz range for roughly $1500 and up, but bass down to 25 or 20 Hz in a loud speaker (not a sub woofer) is going to cost a lot more.
Jim Salk sells only by Internet Direct and has no show room. He does keep a list of owners who are willing to demo their speakers. I've done it several times. If & when you're interested, contact Jim Salk.

Some people, I'm told, actually go to visit Jim Salk in Pontiac, MI (Detroit area) to see his shop and hear what models he has at his home.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Guys...I put some thoughts together after listening to these speakers for the last 7 weeks. I'm not a reviewer by trade so the technical data I've left for the manufacturer, but I have been listening to pretty good SQ the last 35+ yrs so take what you will from my experience.
I've just seen this thread with your very good review of the Song 3A speakers. Receive my belated congrats for this interesting info and the photo of your system and listening space.
I'm sure that the equipment you now have will keep you happy for a long time. Enjoy!

2channel lover

Yeah it seems like unless you buy in insanely expensive pair of speakers subwoofers are generally needed. All the more reason I’m keeping my HSU for when I do the 2.1 system one day. Perhaps I’ll be joing the Salk club. ;) Both of you guys have some very sexy speakers.

Thanks.

Not aware of a listening showroom but if you make the trip to MICH, I'm sure they will be able to make some arrangements. I just recently hosted a perspective Salk buyer for a demo. I think he left very impressed, not sure what he ended up buying. If you think you want to hear a pair, I'd contact Jim Salk and see if there are some Salk owners near you.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Salk Rythmik 15s with PRs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If not for the Phil 3s...
The 3As were my lower cost favorite... Then if I had no other gear, the Veracity HT3s... then the SS8s if money were no object.

But hey... just stopped by his site: This is new...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Salk Rythmik 15s with PRs.
I'm pretty sure Salk consulted heavily with Brian Ding (the designer/owner of Rythmik) in the design of the Salk subs, so they are going to be great subs! However, I think Salk primarily sells them for someone that wants a matching finish with their other Salk speakers. I don't know, the Salk may be a little more compact for its output - not sure what objective Salk had for them other than being able to offer a matching sub to customers.
For sound quality value, you are better off to buy Rythmik, but if you want your speakers and subs to be visually stunning showpieces, Salk is the way to go!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure Salk consulted heavily with Brian Ding (the designer/owner of Rythmik) in the design of the Salk subs, so they are going to be great subs! However, I think Salk primarily sells them for someone that wants a matching finish with their other Salk speakers. I don't know, the Salk may be a little more compact for its output - not sure what objective Salk had for them other than being able to offer a matching sub to customers.
For sound quality value, you are better off to buy Rythmik, but if you want your speakers and subs to be visually stunning showpieces, Salk is the way to go!
Oh definitely I made the purchase to match the speakers. For 4k, I could get a whole lot more for the $..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thinking back to my conversation with him, I got the impression that Jim’s offering a little more than a nice box. Yes, a large part is that, but proper tuning goes a long way, too. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thinking back to my conversation with him, I got the impression that Jim’s offering a little more than a nice box. Yes, a large part is that, but proper tuning goes a long way, too. :)
I am saying that I suspect it to be of similar quality to Rythmik's offerings, plus a wonderful finish.
Do you think it is tuned to provide a true step above Rythik's own offerings in sound quality?
I don't think you are saying that Brian doesn't properly tune the subs he sells!?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am saying that I suspect it to be of similar quality to Rythmik's offerings, plus a wonderful finish.
Do you think it is tuned to provide a true step above Rythik's own offerings in sound quality?
I don't think you are saying that Brian doesn't properly tune the subs he sells!?
Absolutely not suggesting there is anything wrong with their subs. Hell, I wanted them. The Outlaw sale is the only reason I didn’t! ;)
Before that and the Phil 3s, I was talking to Jim about him building a sub for me... Which he said he would adjust for tuning to the lower extension I wanted for pipe organ. That’s all I’m suggesting! ;) The customization of an already good product!!!

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
The ribbon tweeters on the various versions of Song3 models, do not require those foam pads to limit their vertical dispersion. The RAAL ribbon tweeters that came with those foam pads are different.
I thought the foam pads improve vertical dispersion, not limit it? (with the tradeoff being some on-axis output).

70-10 No Foam Pads

70-10 Foam Pads

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I thought the foam pads improve vertical dispersion, not limit it? (with the tradeoff being some on-axis output).
My point was that those Song3 models do not come with any foam pads for their tweeters. They are the RAAL 64-10, not the 70-10. This tweeter works well in a 3-way design that doesn't require such low frequency performance as would be needed in a 2-way.

It's difficult to tell from those two graphs of the 70-10 with & without foam pads what the effect of the foam pads is. What do the various colors in the graphs represent? Depending on which color is what off-axis measurement, one could argue "limit" or "improve". But none of that is relevant.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Oh definitely I made the purchase to match the speakers. For 4k, I could get a whole lot more for the $..
And FWIW, the Salks wont be a slouch, especially for music and I expect decent mid teens output for the occasional movie and organs. Without measuring I'd assume a well designed PR will behave very well thru the upper bass range where I expect it to for the occasional gathering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis