Salk Silk Monitors vs Philharmonic Philharmonitor?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And looks like i am going to have to turn the Denon x2400H back in. It is a very under powered receiver compared to the lower priced Yamaha RX 670, I like the sound of the Yamaha better to it seems looks like i will upgrade to a better Yamaha next year arc doesn't seem to work on this one.

Will have to figure out how to tune the sub in right with the 670
Wait, what? The specs on the 2300 show it to have a (very) slight power advantage, and all things being equal should have the same sound quality. It uses Audyssey MultEQ XT for room correction and works very well ime.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I am playing the 2300 at a very much higher volume level and even then I am having a much more difficult time listening to the movie. No pre outs the Yamy has none either.
I could get a X3300 for much less than the 2300 and it has pre-outs but not the new cod3ec's (may never get more than 5.1 though).
I will mess when the cross overs more the HVl-1 are not easy to drive.
initial thoughts it looks like the 2300 is way over inflated. and yes the Audyessey MultiEQ is what i was looking forward to to help control the bass in a small room.
Both AVR's have a option to in-cress the dialogue by 3 this is a nice feature the 2300 lets you adjust the trebel and bass.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Where are you located?
If you happen to be in my area, I'd be happy to help you check things and make sure it is tuned properly.
If you can get 3300 for less than 2300, that is a no-brainer!

Most of us prefer Audyssey Dynamic Volume (decreases the dynamic range of your music) turned Off and Dynamic EQ (adjusts the EQ for low level listening to compensate for our non-linear perception of loudness at different volumes) turned On.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Savannah GA, I am still working on this some more will wait till. may through the sony core speaker back up i have them boxed up for return. been in and out of the house working on the yard it is a nice day outside.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I just find it odd that they sound so much better on the Yamaha other than the sub

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am playing the 2300 at a very much higher volume level and even then I am having a much more difficult time listening to the movie. No pre outs the Yamy has none either.
I could get a X3300 for much less than the 2300 and it has pre-outs but not the new cod3ec's (may never get more than 5.1 though).
I will mess when the cross overs more the HVl-1 are not easy to drive.
initial thoughts it looks like the 2300 is way over inflated. and yes the Audyessey MultiEQ is what i was looking forward to to help control the bass in a small room.
Both AVR's have a option to in-cress the dialogue by 3 this is a nice feature the 2300 lets you adjust the trebel and bass.
I'm having trouble understanding your posts The 3300 has everything the 2300 has and more, including MultEQ XT32, which will put more focus on your subs. I don't know what you mean by "not the new codecs". If you can get the 3300 cheaper than the 2300 it's a no brainer. Get the 3300.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Sorry if it is hard to under stand was rather quick post. running in and out of the house doing yard work.

The Yamy 670 sounds better as far as the speakers go and it seems to have much more power than the Denon 2400 sorry my bad not the 2300. This has nice features all the new codecs for everything. But auro 3d. Bass management is far better on the Denon, it blends with the speakers instead of booming with like the yamaha dose.

For many years companies seem to have overstated or what there power rating was. or skimped out on the power and added features.

The last AVR that I rember that had a lot of power was the SONY 1014 something like 110 watts a channel with dedicated amps.

This seems to have lead to folks going to Horn sparkes that are easy to drive like 1 watt per 98 decb.
Ther are some none horn speakers that are easy to drive Ascend 340, Ascend Rall and dome tweeter towers and there are lot of ones i have missed I am sure.

So in turn that leads us to buy a AVR with pre outs like the 3300 ot the 2060. then there is the added cost of the amp.
I am in a 14 x 14 room it should not take much to drive my speakers though just harder to adjust the acustics in a room like the with many other objects in it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "I am playing the 2300 at a very much higher volume level"....is this the number on the volume scale or you are just pushing the Denon to higher levels of volume than you did with the Yamaha?

Knowing more about how you set things up with Audyssey (and resultant settings after doing so) and what you have enabled/not enabled (like DynVol and DynEQ mentioned) might help....

S

strat_80

Audiophyte
Hello,
I am new here. Have a pair of Ascend Sierra-2s and the RAALs sound crystal clear. I am somewhat dissatisfied with the lows. I know they don't go low so thinking of the BMR Philharmonitor as I prefer not to have to use towers. These are in our eat-in kitchen area. The Ascends look fantastic too. Other speakers are Golden Ear Triton 7s and older Triangle Celius Towers.

Anybody have thoughts on the Philharmonitor vs Salk Veracity HT1? the HT1's specs don't go as low as the Philharmonitor. Frankly I was surprised by the frequency range of the Philharmonitors. Anyplace near St Louis where I can hear them?

Not sure if this thread is dead or I should try some other thread.

Thank you

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello,
I am new here. Have a pair of Ascend Sierra-2s and the RAALs sound crystal clear. I am somewhat dissatisfied with the lows. I know they don't go low so thinking of the BMR Philharmonitor as I prefer not to have to use towers. These are in our eat-in kitchen area. The Ascends look fantastic too. Other speakers are Golden Ear Triton 7s and older Triangle Celius Towers.

Anybody have thoughts on the Philharmonitor vs Salk Veracity HT1? the HT1's specs don't go as low as the Philharmonitor. Frankly I was surprised by the frequency range of the Philharmonitors. Anyplace near St Louis where I can hear them?

Thank you
Dennis has lowered the price of the BMR's using the PE cabinets. As such, opting for the BMR's over the Philharmonitor is easily a no-brainer inmho. But hey, it is your money. ;););) Sounds like to me you have some rather impressive speakers already. Just saying..........

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis has lowered the price of the BMR's using the PE cabinets. As such, opting for the BMR's over the Philharmonitor is easily a no-brainer inmho. But hey, it is your money. ;););) Sounds like to me you have some rather impressive speakers already. Just saying..........
Cheers,

Phil
I think we're confusing two speakers, probably because the names are confusing. Strat_80 was referring to the BMR, not the New Philharmonitor. Just about everyone calls the BMR the BMR Philharmonitor, so I guess I'll have to do something to make things clearer.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think we're confusing two speakers, probably because the names are confusing. Strat_80 was referring to the BMR, not the New Philharmonitor. Just about everyone calls the BMR the BMR Philharmonitor, so I guess I'll have to do something to make things clearer.
Thanks for the clarification Dennis. You are correct in that I thought that the OP was considering the Philharmonitors instead of the BMR's. Now that you have lowered the price of the BMR's w/Pre-Fab cabinets, it is easily a no brainer inmho. BTW, the Pre-Fab BMR's are not available in Maple? I love the Maple myself. Just curious is all Dennis. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis I see that the PE Pre-Fab cabinets are no longer available in Maple. Was not aware of that until now. Personally, I am very fond of Maple. As such, I am sure that Jim would have an option for Maple should others like me that prefer it. However, the Cherry looks very good as well. I could easily live with Cherry myself. Perhaps, the Maple did not sell too well for PE and that is why it is no longer available.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis I see that the PE Pre-Fab cabinets are no longer available in Maple. Was not aware of that until now. Personally, I am very fond of Maple. As such, I am sure that Jim would have an option for Maple should others like me that prefer it. However, the Cherry looks very good as well. I could easily live with Cherry myself. Perhaps, the Maple did not sell too well for PE and that is why it is no longer available.

Cheers,

Phil
Lighter veneers are definitely out of favor now. Dark walnut seems to have staged a comeback. It's really tough judging he market. I have to make the final decision on the finish for the Chinese BMR's. We tried a rose-tinted cherry with piano gloss finish, and the test cabinet does look stunning. But it wouldn't go with a lot of decors, and we can only order one finish. So it looks like I'm going to have to go with piano black. I was hoping for something more interesting, but I'm not sure it's possible. Any ideas anyone?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Lighter veneers are definitely out of favor now. Dark walnut seems to have staged a comeback. It's really tough judging he market. I have to make the final decision on the finish for the Chinese BMR's. We tried a rose-tinted cherry with piano gloss finish, and the test cabinet does look stunning. But it wouldn't go with a lot of decors, and we can only order one finish. So it looks like I'm going to have to go with piano black. I was hoping for something more interesting, but I'm not sure it's possible. Any ideas anyone?
Have noticed that Maple is not readily available nowadays. As you mention, Walnut seems to be everywhere. The Cherry PE cabinets look very good to me. But, I am not dealing with a WAF either. I agree in that going with Piano Black may be the safest way to go. Perhaps, adding a Cherry later down the road? Would love to see the Rose-tinted Cherry cabinets. Can you post a pic if you still have them? It is a tough decision no doubt.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I like the finish on those Alexis-branded Philharmonitors.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Hello,

Thank you
If you can’t get a good listening session and compare these speakers, would put my money on the BMRs. While different tweeters get a lot of attention, good midrange and low distortion bass are just as likely (maybe more) to affect your sound system accuracy and listening experience.

Many speaker manufacturers tend to avoid discussing speaker harmonic distortion. If you consider the system perspective, why would you worry about amplifier THD getting much below .1% when your speakers are likely to be .5% THD or higher for parts of the frequency response where our ears are most sensitive?

Even if your drivers are low distortion, poor crossover design or mediocre cabinetry can make matters much worse. Some suppliers have started to supply THD specs, but need more to do so to have greater objectivity in speaker comparisons. This said, more than just THD measurements are needed...

Anyway, in my mind, the BMRs stand out both from the perspective of design and value amongst the speakers you mention. A dedicated midrange and crossover designer with a known reputation are key differentiators. The fact that you can do a 2 week home trial helps with the issue that you may not be able to hear them before you buy...

Ww

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis