Salk Ascend better the Big ones

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Comon ca va is Cajun for How are you. Probably spelt it wrong.lol
Kind of similar to Comeaux’s all alone? ;):) most of the AH members wouldn’t get our Cajun Humor. Man when I first opened up my profile on AH. I Used a Lot and I mean a lot of Cajun slang, lol as you would Imagine didn’t go over too well. Some of them Swore I was talking about their wife or I slept with their wife. lolo oh one more thing, don’t ever postup any Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes for sure some AH members will get mad! They gonna want you to postup Specs and graphs just prove you didn’t Google that. And for sure Don’t mention Claudette! You may get “ bunch”whacked!! yeah that’s right I didn’t post bush whacked cause a bunch of them highly Education guys that have them BS papers, dey jump you in “bunches” on AH. ;) Guess dey don’t want noboddy thinking anyone else smarter than them. After all CajunB how much one of them BS papers cost anyways? Didn’t we use to call paper like that when someone in the outhouse needed some to wide dey butt? Hey go get me some “Big Sh$t” paper.;):)

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Kind of similar to Comeaux’s all alone? ;):) most of the AH members wouldn’t get our Cajun Humor. Man when I first opened up my profile on AH. I Used a Lot and I mean a lot of Cajun slang, lol as you would Imagine didn’t go over too well. Some of them Swore I was talking about their wife or I slept with their wife. lolo oh one more thing, don’t ever postup any Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes for sure some AH members will get mad! They gonna want you to postup Specs and graphs just prove you didn’t Google that. And for sure Don’t mention Claudette! You may get bunch whacked!!
Lol. You warned me about the Boudreaux and Thib jokes when we figured out we live 10 minutes from each other.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Lol. You warned me about the Boudreaux and Thib jokes when we figured out we live 10 minutes from each other.
My friend, I had like 3 profiles on here at one time or another. One I posted up about Breaux Bridge crawfish festival. With every kind of Cajun that goes to their World Famous festival. Not One member on AH had any idea! A few would post up maybe he is Cajun cause he did say he’s from Louisiana. A few went as far as telling each other that the post I posted up could be a Bot! A Bot CajunB! Now please tell me one of them BS papers Dey got from dat school of high Education don’t cost lot’s of money? cause if they paid more than what a pack of 4 Toilet paper cost they need to go get some of dey money back!! I tell you no!! Claudette wouldn’t even look at their post cause she would have Ugly them to death with her mean looking face post!! :D :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@CajunB, I already getting in some mess on a other thread, all because I mentioned “bottom feeder” now if I said that to you, you’d know I was saying that the Sack of crawfish I just came over to your house to boil didn’t cost me a lot of money. We both know crawfish feeds at the bottom of the food chain. And them people who sell them bottom fe.. let me change that to, low cost amps, there I fixed it. Sell to people who can’t or just don’t want to spend a lot of money on something dey can’t eat! ;)

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
@CajunB, I already getting in some mess on a other thread, all because I mentioned “bottom feeder” now if I said that to you, you’d know I was saying that the Sack of crawfish I just came over to your house to boil didn’t cost me a lot of money. We both know crawfish feeds at the bottom of the food chain. And them people who sell them bottom fe.. let me change that to, low cost amps, there I fixed it. Sell to people who can’t or just don’t want to spend a lot of money on something dey can’t eat! ;)
I read that and totally understood what you meant. I’m sure he knows what you meant too. It seems he’s just stirring the pot as usual.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, at least in my area, you don't see Salk or Ascend's top tier speakers for sale ever. I've been scouring craigslist for a long time now and have found 1 pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s. Which I bought... lol.

Now that could just be a scale thing too. The bigger companies are able to produce a lot more, sell a lot more, which leads to more chances for someone to not be happy for one reason or another.
@Pogre
Pogre and I live in the same general area, within 20 minutes of each other. I would echo his observation: you just don't see Salks or Ascends up for sale used out here in the West. We are a long ways from where Salk is headquartered and that may have something to do with it. You also just won't see many folks give a bad review either.

The original thread started with a question about why Salk and companies like Ascend make a speaker that is so much better than the commercial brands. That was the essence of it. My first thought on the original topic is that they may not, but, we perceive they do. I believe several posters point this out. Several factors contribute to that.

The target market and actual coverage by Salk (I am a Salk owner) is fairly limited just because he is a small business and has a fixed production capacity. Salk makes its reputation on a super high quality set of cabinets and a very well engineered and superb sounding speaker. The wait time can be excrutiating: 4 to 6 months. Who wants to wait 4 to 6 months in this culture of instant gratification?

Your choices are also limited and well defined. Lots of people don't like that either. Add those things up and you find the customer set that sticks it out and buys a set of Salks is pretty convinced its a great speaker. If you are willing to live with the wait time and all the vagaries of getting your hands on a set, you must be pretty convinced about the speaker.

I think that mindset contributes a whole lot to why you don't see people dumping them used or writing anything but positive reviews. I know I love mine. They make me happy every single time I sit down to listen. I go up and take a close look at those beautiful cabinets and I just marvel at them. Are they actually better than anything from the big box companies? I can't tell you ! Don't know ! I would guess that there are products within each of the really great speaker brands that could hold their own against them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed 'Buck', they represent some of the nicest cabinetry on the market. I've only ever heard a pair once and thoroughly enjoyed them. Are they better than the best 'big names' ? Like you, don't know, can't tell you and like most of us on here we know that speakers are subjective components.

W

wrunow

Enthusiast
Don't post here often, but I'm watching this thread. I have both Ascend RAAL Towers (theater) and Salk Song 3A (2 channel). If I were to keep one based on performance it would be the Ascends. But they are different in very different rooms. My wife wouldn't have the Ascends in the living room, but the Salks are furniture. The performance is close, and really, anyone would be happy with either.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't post here often, but I'm watching this thread. I have both Ascend RAAL Towers (theater) and Salk Song 3A (2 channel). If I were to keep one based on performance it would be the Ascends. But they are different in very different rooms. My wife wouldn't have the Ascends in the living room, but the Salks are furniture. The performance is close, and really, anyone would be happy with either.
I ordered a pair of Ascend towers with the Raal tweets last week and was also looking at Salk so I'm happy to read you would choose the Sierras based on performance. I'd love a furniture grade finish, but the larger midrange, higher sensitivity, and upgraded Raal (Song3 uses 64-10 and the Sierra uses the more robust 70-20xram) is what swayed me. Well that, $400 less and the pair of Sierra 2s in my living room that I found on Craigslist at a price that couldn't be passed up.

W

wrunow

Enthusiast
Probably a wise choice, although the midrange in the 3a's with the Accuton is on at least the same level as the Ascends. I find the bass on the Ascends to be quicker and play just as low as the Salks.
My theater has a full Ascend system with the Horizon center and 4 Luna surrounds. The room is heavily treated and professionally calibrated so to compare them is hard. My room was calibrated by Gregg Loewn of Lion A/V who is also from Maine, and he loves the Ascends and always asks what the deal is with these. My theater is modest compared to what he is used to working in I would venture.

That being said, my days of lugging 75-100lb speakers around for listening tests are over, and I am very happy with both systems

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably a wise choice, although the midrange in the 3a's with the Accuton is on at least the same level as the Ascends. I find the bass on the Ascends to be quicker and play just as low as the Salks.
My theater has a full Ascend system with the Horizon center and 4 Luna surrounds. The room is heavily treated and professionally calibrated so to compare them is hard. My room was calibrated by Gregg Loewn of Lion A/V who is also from Maine, and he loves the Ascends and always asks what the deal is with these. My theater is modest compared to what he is used to working in I would venture.

That being said, my days of lugging 75-100lb speakers around for listening tests are over, and I am very happy with both systems
Thanks, and yes I've read up and know the Accuton is an excellent midrange driver too, but it is smaller and less sensitive. What even got me looking at Ascend are the Sierra 2s. I found a pair like new on CL for $650 and couldn't resist. I have my subs calibrated with them now, using a 80 hz crossover and listening to a lot of very familiar music with them. It's been a while since I've "heard things I didn't know were there" in my music and these are doing that for me so I pulled the trigger on the towers.

I'm in a big room and sit pretty far from my front stage so the higher sensitivity and power handling are pretty big pluses for me.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Damn I thought I was going to have to come in and defend the Genelec's "The Ones" against some new Salk or Ascend speaker. Disappointed :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis