SACD Player choice; Yamaha CD-S1000 or Denon DCD-1600NE

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Don't know particularly, but they do have this page https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx so I'd at least contact them to see what options you have in that regard.

My 203 hasn't had any issues so haven't had a reason to contact them myself, tho. We'll see what they're providing if/when that day comes but at my age the Oppo may outlast me :). I also use several Sony bluray players for my SACDs. I don't need analog output, tho.
Well my BPD-83 broke three times, and it was fixed each time with a reasonable fee, and that is a good thing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Plus I heard that Oppo's chip does not deliver native DSD, am I correct? Whereas the above machine I listed, both Yamaha and Denon machine deliver native DSD (D/A conversion).
I get dsd from each of my players, what's the source of that info? You have electronics that can handle dsd directly? If it weren't for the multich discs I wouldn't even bother with SACD personally.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Plus I heard that Oppo's chip does not deliver native DSD, am I correct? Whereas the above machine I listed, both Yamaha and Denon machine deliver native DSD (D/A conversion).
Nope, go read the manual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Both machine I listed above has analog out.
[/QUOTE]

Do you need analog out is more the question, I'm happy (and the Oppo does have analog out should I want to use it).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My Oppo is pretty old, BDP-83
I also have an Oppo BDP-83. It seems to have some video flicker issues lately but still handles audio discs perfectly. I contacted Oppo and was informed that they could service the unit for around one hundred dollars. They also informed me that they have certain policies in place concerning COVID-19 and any units shipped to them sit for a couple of days before being serviced. They are very quick to answer any questions when contacted via email. I was sent what was supposed to be a firmware update that deals with the older HDMI spec of the BDP-83 and compatibility issues with newer AVRs and TVs. It seemed to be the same firmware I already had and did not work and that is when I was given the cost and time for repair.

Not wanting to spend quite as much money when going to a 4K capable player, I purchased a Sony UBP-800. It is a fine SACD and DVD-AUDIO capable player. The replacement UBP-X800M2 added Dolby Vision support and can be had for about two hundred fifty dollars on sale. It does not, however, have multi channel analog outputs. I've used the Oppo's HDMI output and analog outputs on more than one receiver and cannot say there was an audible difference. I also used it with a receiver that forced the DSD>PCM conversion from the player when connected via HDMI. There still was not an audible difference. I purchased a DSD bitsream capable receiver when I purchased the Sony and enjoy it as much as I ever did using the Oppo's analog connections with other receivers. The HDMI connection also allows for tinkering with the audio if one wants apply DSP. But, to each their own. Buy exactly what you want at the end of the day and enjoy.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
I also have an Oppo BDP-83. It seems to have some video flicker issues lately but still handles audio discs perfectly. I contacted Oppo and was informed that they could service the unit for around one hundred dollars. They also informed me that they have certain policies in place concerning COVID-19 and any units shipped to them sit for a couple of days before being serviced. They are very quick to answer any questions when contacted via email. I was sent what was supposed to be a firmware update that deals with the older HDMI spec of the BDP-83 and compatibility issues with newer AVRs and TVs. It seemed to be the same firmware I already had and did not work and that is when I was given the cost and time for repair.

Not wanting to spend quite as much money when going to a 4K capable player, I purchased a Sony UBP-800. It is a fine SACD and DVD-AUDIO capable player. The replacement UBP-X800M2 added Dolby Vision support and can be had for about two hundred fifty dollars on sale. It does not, however, have multi channel analog outputs. I've used the Oppo's HDMI output and analog outputs on more than one receiver and cannot say there was an audible difference. I also used it with a receiver that forced the DSD>PCM conversion from the player when connected via HDMI. There still was not an audible difference. I purchased a DSD bitsream capable receiver when I purchased the Sony and enjoy it as much as I ever did using the Oppo's analog connections with other receivers. The HDMI connection also allows for tinkering with the audio if one wants apply DSP. But, to each their own. Buy exactly what you want at the end of the day and enjoy.
Yes I am thinking about purchasing Sony UBP-800 or 800M with multiple region for watching 4K movies. Plus I could use it for listening to SACD as well, in case other machine is out of order:)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes I am thinking about purchasing Sony UBP-800 or 800M with multiple region for watching 4K movies. Plus I could use it for listening to SACD as well, in case other machine is out of order:)
I chipped my Oppo for all regions. Now, UHD discs are region free. So, it may be cheaper to chip your Oppo for other region DVDs and blu-rays than pay a premium for an all region Sony UHD player. It’scjust another option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I chipped my Oppo for all regions. Now, UHD discs are region free. So, it may be cheaper to chip your Oppo for other region DVDs and blu-rays than pay a premium for an all region Sony UHD player. It’scjust another option.
Does Oppo provide such a chip on request?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I never inquired about a chip from Oppo as they could not deal in them for obvious reasons. It was purchased from a third party and I installed it. It was an easy swap it out and plug it in affair. I thought about a region free Sony as well, but I already had the Oppo set up and UHD discs aren't region coded so any other region DVD or blu-ray discs could be played on the Oppo and everything else could be played on the Sony.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What he said here is absolutely true
In fact, couldn't be further from.

I cannot believe this is Audioholics forum by reading comments from some of the participants:cool:
The parts you find the hardest to believe are most likely the ones that make the forum cut through all the fantasy. Anyway, I hope you didn't come here to believe! ;) You have Synergistic BS for that.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Continue insulting people and you will be banned from this site.
Huh? If that is considered an insult, i wouldn't give a ratsass if i got banned. Got plenty of other fun things to do in life.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You should turn those golden ears into some actual coin instead of trying to impress us poor slobs who can't hear worth a damn.
Aren't you the guy who says every dac besides the one in your phone or something is snake oil lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aren't you the guy who says every dac besides the one in your phone or something is snake oil lol
No, nothing I said. DACs are pretty much a non-issue in general, tho. Some phones have great dacs from what I've read. Then I never use a phone dac either.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
What releases have been "done right from scratch," ie, were SACD recorded?

As for comparing SACDs to their CD version and concluding the SACD sounds better, that could be from any number of reasons not having to do with the format. You're talking about two different masters. One may be louder than the other, or one may be EQ'd more to your preference. Preferring the SACD version over the CD version doesn't mean that SACD is an audibly superior format.
Well, in case you didn't know many new artists from around the world tend to release new albums in SACD. In fact, it's a big thing in China these days. It isn't all that one ancient blacksabbath album that got a SACD.

Also please quit that dynamic range, EQ and level matching deadhorse (save that for the rookies or save that for ASR). So, i suppose every mastering engineer working with SACD was inevitably brighter than the dummy mastering a CD on the albums i examined? Nothing to do with higher quality equipment used? Nothing to do with the non-apodized brickwall filters used in a CD ..etc....I suppose all the engineers who came up with the SACD format at Sony & Philips were all dumb as a rock too...they did it for no good reason..You simply know a whole lot better with your CD! Okie dokie

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis