SACD Player choice; Yamaha CD-S1000 or Denon DCD-1600NE

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
And that is precisely why SACD got a bad rap and ya shouldn't buy any dumass sacd album out there. However, SACD done right from scratch seems to beat the redbook cd. I am el cheapo, hate paying more for sacds and would have loved to be a non believer of the format. But, no, i have compared numerous CDs vs SACD of the same album through the same transport and DAC, SACD just sounds better. Not sure why dudes beat the dynamic range dead horse, but, better clarity and detail is perceived when sacd is done right..
What releases have been "done right from scratch," ie, were SACD recorded?

As for comparing SACDs to their CD version and concluding the SACD sounds better, that could be from any number of reasons not having to do with the format. You're talking about two different masters. One may be louder than the other, or one may be EQ'd more to your preference. Preferring the SACD version over the CD version doesn't mean that SACD is an audibly superior format.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
What about the Pioneer UDP-LX500? I know it's a universal player but it has very good reviews for the audio implementation

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You have nailed it. This thread is a classic example of Audiophilia. You will not hear the difference between CD and SACD unless the material has an enormous dynamic range. The Sony player will be fine. There is no reason to avoid a universal player. It will be the receiver or pre/pro that will do the conversion anyway.

SACD needs to go away. No recording engineer works with DSD anymore anyway, as it an absolute PAS. So they work in PCM and convert to DSD after mastering to placate Audiophools. So DSD needs to die, and be replaced by BD audio, which is much superior, and allows for more channels. SACD and it's crazy DSD is a barrier to progress and the sooner it dies the better.
Most of my SACD's are multi-channel and that is what I like about the format compared to CD.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@lovinthehd .....if you guys scroll above, i was pointing the dude to a 500 dollar universal first (cost subsidized by the larger customer base of dudes watching movies on blu ray wink wink). I personally have that BD-A1060 and i know what phenomenal value it is. But, it looks like the dude doesn't want universal and wants to spend 1500. I figured if he has 1500 to spend, he probably has 3k to spend. That 3k Technics does sound like it has a 3k transport+dac in it. I have heard a 10k cd player which sounded like a 600 dollar cd player as well. That can happen too in this grand snake temple.

Now, if you fellas can't hear the difference between a $1 DAC in a windows 95 pc and a 3k DAC...well, you're in a god like class of your own..lol...i got a pair of radioshack 20 dollar speakers and a pyle for ya. It should sound better than a Revel and your luxman or whatever! When the beat hits, it sounds like a God like fart Pffft frrr frrr frr frrr....Ya really don't need a better speaker and your $1 dac. Bwaaahahahaha
You already got a few answers and I'm not trying to dog-pile on you. I'd just want to draw your attention to these few details:
having 1.5k = having 3k, well, not really, it's 100% increase on the budget
hearing a difference = performing better, again, this is not what people here are saying, differences in sound can be imagined, and let's not waste time on those and can be real in which case it's the same story about sound signature and the question should it be there.
3k Technics = sounds like it has 3k transport and DAC, this can be exactly because it costs that much, also how does 3k sounds, right?
DAC difference = speakers difference, not even in the same class, these shouldn't be in the same sentence and the difference in one of those says nothing about the difference in the other
SACD > CD, hardly ever is the SACD merely a transfer from a CD, almost always there has been some remaster done, it is quite possible you heard the audio engineers work rather than SACD's superiority.

As much as I have read on the pages of the AH forums, the point is that once you get a well performing, neutral transparent piece of gear, you can even tweak it to sound like 3k Technics. Other way around much harder if at all possible. So neutral takes the cake every time.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
And that is precisely why SACD got a bad rap and ya shouldn't buy any dumass sacd album out there. However, SACD done right from scratch seems to beat the redbook cd. I am el cheapo, hate paying more for sacds and would have loved to be a non believer of the format. But, no, i have compared numerous CDs vs SACD of the same album through the same transport and DAC, SACD just sounds better. Not sure why dudes beat the dynamic range dead horse, but, better clarity and detail is perceived when sacd is done right..
What he said here is absolutely true, and that is why I just wanted to try stand alone CD/SACD player instead of universal player. I own mostly Jazz & Classical SACDs, and obviously they make a big difference in terms of tonality and sound stage

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
What makes this one particularly great?
Technics one is out of my budget and it is more expensive because it can play MQA-CD, which is a new invention of another high resolution CD

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Why worry about that now? Which model do you have? That's already an excellent player. Oppo here in the US was still doing some service last I checked but covid could have gotten in the way....

What is the rest of the gear involved?
My Oppo is pretty old, BDP-83

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
I cannot believe this is Audioholics forum by reading comments from some of the participants:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd .....if you guys scroll above, i was pointing the dude to a 500 dollar universal first (cost subsidized by the larger customer base of dudes watching movies on blu ray wink wink). I personally have that BD-A1060 and i know what phenomenal value it is. But, it looks like the dude doesn't want universal and wants to spend 1500. I figured if he has 1500 to spend, he probably has 3k to spend. That 3k Technics does sound like it has a 3k transport+dac in it. I have heard a 10k cd player which sounded like a 600 dollar cd player as well. That can happen too in this grand snake temple.

Now, if you fellas can't hear the difference between a $1 DAC in a windows 95 pc and a 3k DAC...well, you're in a god like class of your own..lol...i got a pair of radioshack 20 dollar speakers and a pyle for ya. It should sound better than a Revel and your luxman or whatever! When the beat hits, it sounds like a God like fart Pffft frrr frrr frr frrr....Ya really don't need a better speaker and your $1 dac. Bwaaahahahaha
You should turn those golden ears into some actual coin instead of trying to impress us poor slobs who can't hear worth a damn.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Technics one is out of my budget and it is more expensive because it can play MQA-CD, which is a new invention of another high resolution CD
MQA is simply a bullshit lossy codec in my book. Technics can make nice stuff, tho. I'd still use that Oppo until it stops working and then I'd see about repairing it; maybe give it some maintenance if it needs it, tho.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
By the way MQA-CD format can be explained here; MQA-CD | Experience MQA Music and Video | MQA

I am not sure if this format is doomed as SACD from the start (as far as player goes), but I did purchased some of those already, but I just listened to with a regular CD/Oppo player (with regular CD player only play UHQCD). But files can be more flexible to be applied to various types.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
MQA is simply a bullshit lossy codec in my book. Technics can make nice stuff, tho. I'd still use that Oppo until it stops working and then I'd see about repairing it; maybe give it some maintenance if it needs it, tho.
You don't expect them to do it forever, do you?

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Some people who tried both SACD and MQACD and they said both sound quality is almost equal, and far better than regular cds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant Oppo is fixing your machine when it is broke
Don't know particularly, but they do have this page https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx so I'd at least contact them to see what options you have in that regard.

My 203 hasn't had any issues so haven't had a reason to contact them myself, tho. We'll see what they're providing if/when that day comes but at my age the Oppo may outlast me :). I also use several Sony bluray players for my SACDs. I don't need analog output, tho.

H

henry001

Audioholic Intern
Plus I heard that Oppo's chip does not deliver native DSD, am I correct? Whereas the above machine I listed, both Yamaha and Denon machine deliver native DSD (D/A conversion).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis