SACD: Officially dead

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I found a whole ****ing two SACD's from that list that I am ordering. Stones Hot Rocks and Depeche Mode Violator, which is in the top 10 albums for me of all time. Thank you.

Last edited:
Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I can't seem to find anywhere in Canada to get Depeche Mode Violator on SACD. Can anyone help me? I am very excited to hear this is available. Thanks.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Further researching Depeche Mode SACD, USA release is not until June 8. The versions out now are PAL, available in the UK.

Either way, I am excited to see one of my favorites soon to be available on SACD and it gives some hope that more popular titles will be released in the future, and SACD is not dead as I so thought! Pink Floyd is also working on Wish You Were Here.

JC

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'll have to look into Violator- it was the best 80's album of the 90's!:D

M

My Rantz

Banned
Johnny Canuck said:
Further researching Depeche Mode SACD, USA release is not until June 8. The versions out now are PAL, available in the UK.

Either way, I am excited to see one of my favorites soon to be available on SACD and it gives some hope that more popular titles will be released in the future, and SACD is not dead as I so thought! Pink Floyd is also working on Wish You Were Here.

JC

I don't know how PAL (or any other video format) is connected with SACD's. Are you thinking of DVD-A where the video content may not be compatible?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Clearly SACD is alive. Let's hope this new "faster and cheaper" way of making them won't result in lower quality , like using digital compression like they do on most new CD's.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Fortunately SACD maintains one bit rate, unlike DVD-Audio which has a variety, so by the looks of that article the technology behind the listening of the SACD will not change, merely the manufacturing.
PS3 supporting SACD is a huge move in the right direction for SACD.

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
DSD captures the 1 bit pulse train from the delta-sigma A/D converter, with no decimation. :)

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
HTHOLIC said:
In any case DVD-audio has been more of a success that SACD, even cheap oppo player supports dvd-audio
The new Oppo supports SACD as well. :D

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Buying a cheap player that is supposed to output an analogue signal worthy of a higher end DVD-Audio or SACD recording seems a little incongrous doesn't it?
I believe they've both been equally as successful as each other.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
dvda-sacd said:
I don't think so. There are over 3,800 SACD titles. :rolleyes:

http://www.sa-cd.net
Yes that's true, but if you don't count the classical releases you cut that number in half.
When it comes to popular music, I should have said, I believe they're pretty much even.

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
sry for bumping this thread but i dono if anyone has said this but the reason that site is closed down is mostly likely because it was owned and operated by sony who incase you didnt hear quit backing sacd even tho it was their creation mostly likely to focus on blu-ray which will most like fail like every other format they try (cough beta, minidisc, umd cough) why cant sony quit being an *** and go along with everyone else?

G

genesis471

Audioholic
I guess I wouldn't understand why you say Sony quit backing SACD, but yet is supporting playback of SACD's in the PS3, which is surely to be an excellent seller. Was this in print somewhere that they quit backing it, or an assumption?

Mike

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
I think Sony wants Blu-ray Disc to kill off DVD-Audio with 5.1-channel PCM up to 192kHz sampling rate and 24-bit resolution. Then Super Audio CD will remain as a pure audio format with an exclusive audio encoding (Direct Stream Digital).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis