SACD and multi-channel questions

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I watched the Blu-Ray last night. It had a good sound, but the stereo version had better effects.

I also listened to Mark Knopfler- Shangri-La, which was really good, and the Allman Brothers-Beginnings, which didn't sound special, but was good.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
But you only have to do it once, and storage space are quite affordable now.
I'm talking about the number of clicks it takes. As I recall, about 16 to enjoy 5.1 FLAC from foobar.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm talking about the number of clicks it takes. As I recall, about 16 to enjoy 5.1 FLAC from foobar.
Why so many clicks? I just select something and play it using foobar2000 with my 5.1 files. Maybe an extra click or two if I am playing it on a different device from the last time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A couple. I think there are 4 or 5 of us that I know of now.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
A local get together to share ideas and lessons learned could be fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Bucknekked lives here in Mesa and we got together at his place, then mine. That was a while ago tho and I've made some big improvements since then. I know he made a significant sub upgrade since I heard his system too. I need to get him back over here one of these days...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Been awhile since I had this 5.1 SACD/DVD-A setup and just wanted to make sure i have it setup correctly??? Thanks!
123F9AA4-3F7D-4B69-A1CE-55A0D0B2FA53.jpeg
1D26AB41-B495-4E08-BCC1-80F6B53C8B8C.jpeg
CA6A0784-B48E-4E50-A77B-F263B3C0B0FB.jpeg
57FF7877-C38E-4D73-87D0-8735B8F67E2E.jpeg

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
It appears there is some confusion about the meaning of "Multichannel". Many SACDs were produced from 3-channel analog tapes and some (all?) dealers list them as multichannel.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have an "off" choice for dynamic range control (assume that's some sort of dynamic range compression routine)?
Yes i do. Turn it off?
Do you need secondary audio enabled?
No. I turn it off.
You like to enable HDMI CEC?
Don’t matter to me turn it off?

Everything else ok?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It appears there is some confusion about the meaning of "Multichannel". Many SACDs were produced from 3-channel analog tapes and some (all?) dealers list them as multichannel.
Sounds like the RCA Living Stereo series of recordings. Mine are generally either based on quad or specifically mixed....but I don't have any of the RCA series either.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Been awhile since I had this 5.1 SACD/DVD-A setup and just wanted to make sure i have it setup correctly??? Thanks!
View attachment 41680View attachment 41679View attachment 41678View attachment 41677
Your player is set to output PCM and not DSD. Also it does not say of this is 2 or more channels. In order to tell you if your set up is correct we need details of what you are sending this output to.

In other words does you player mix multichannel SACD so 2 or multichannel PCM

Can you player send DSD over HDMI? If it can, can your receiver process multichannel DSD over HDMI. Optimal is to have the sending device send 5.1 DSD over HDMI and the receiver be able to decode 5.1 DSD from HDMI.

This whole area is a nightmare as the industry has now moved away from DSD and I regard it as obsolete now, with less and less support for it in players receivers and especially recording companies.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A multichannel SACD means 5.1 as opposed to 2.0. Some discs contain two versions. Setting the player to multi channel will allow 5.1 playback for 5.1 discs. It will not affect 2.0. Setting it for 2 channel will ignore the 5.1 signal on discs that contain both of them. Turn Dynamic Range Control off. Turn Secondary Audio off as well. SACD audio set to PCM is fine. Your Denon does not support raw DSD over HDMI and the player would make the switch to PCM even if you set it to DSD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your player is set to output PCM and not DSD. Also it does not say of this is 2 or more channels. In order to tell you if your set up is correct we need details of what you are sending this output to.

In other words does you player mix multichannel SACD so 2 or multichannel PCM

Can you player send DSD over HDMI? If it can, can your receiver process multichannel DSD over HDMI. Optimal is to have the sending device send 5.1 DSD over HDMI and the receiver be able to decode 5.1 DSD from HDMI.

This whole area is a nightmare as the industry has now moved away from DSD and I regard it as obsolete now, with less and less support for it in players receivers and especially recording companies.
He had hdmi setup for auto (for hdmi), assume that can bitstream but good point as to what's at the other end to handle it, too. I generally use the bitstream setting myself, all my avrs can handle it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis