SACD 5.1 from Sony UBP-X700

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just put it there as I believed it to be the right connection!
I think connecting it to the avr will resolve your issues, while a tv might work fine for audio generally, it has limits compared to an avr.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I just put it there as I believed it to be the right connection!
It was the right connection for the video. Connecting the HDMI 2 cable to the Onkyo will be the right connection for the audio and you will be all set. Remember to go into the Sony’s settings and set the audio output to HDMI 2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It was the right connection for the video. Connecting the HDMI 2 cable to the Onkyo will be the right connection for the audio and you will be all set. Remember to go into the Sony’s settings and set the audio output to HDMI 2.
Then again you could just run the hdmi to the avr and pass thru to the tv for video....altho I wonder a bit about audio sync issues with the dual connections?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Onkyo is not able to pass 4K HDR to the TV from the Sony as it is only HD(1080p) capable and the TV cannot send lossless audio to the Onkyo over ARC. So, HDMI 1 needs to send 4K HDR video directly to TV and HDMI 2 will send lossless audio directly to the Onkyo. I had my X800 set up this way at one point with my Samsung TV and Onkyo AVR. Audio sync wasn’t an issue with my setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Onkyo is not able to pass 4K HDR to the TV from the Sony as it is only HD(1080p) capable and the TV cannot send lossless audio to the Onkyo over ARC. So, HDMI 1 needs to send 4K HDR video directly to TV and HDMI 2 will send lossless audio directly to the Onkyo. I had my X800 set up this way at one point with my Samsung TV and Onkyo AVR. Audio sync wasn’t an issue with my setup.
D'oh! Forgot about the 4k thing :)

H

hootie01

Enthusiast
D'oh! Forgot about the 4k thing :)
Hi. The HDMI 2 on the TV is connected to the Onkyo HDMI out. Is this correct?

Hi.
The HDMI 2 on the TV is connected to the Onkyo HDMI out. Is this correct?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, Onkyo’s HDMI OUT to TV’s HDMI 2(ARC). Sony’s HDMI 1 to TV’s HDMI 1 and Sony’s HDMI 2 to Onkyo’s IN 1(BD/DVD.) Turn TV’s ANYNET+ to OFF. Turn Onkyo’s HDMI Control OFF. To see the on screen display of the Onkyo, the TV must be on its HDMI 2 source. You will not be able to see it while streaming from TV apps, using the TV tuner or playing a disc on the Sony. While on HDMI 2(ARC), press the RECEIVER button on the Onkyo remote control and then press display repeatedly and see if the GUI comes up. You can rename the TV’s source tiles by selecting them in the TV menus and select EDIT. Change HDMI 1 to Sony or BD/DVD and change HDMI 2 to Onkyo. Once an optical cable is connected to the TV, go into TV’s sound output setting and change it from TV Speakers to Optical Output. Connect the optical cable’s other end to the Optical 2(TV/CD) input on the Onkyo.

Oh, almost forgot to mention Signal Input Plus. You want this feature in the TV on for best HDR picture from the Sony. Go into your TV’s Settings>General>External Device Manager>Input Signal Plus. Turn it on for HDMI 1. Do NOT turn it on for HDMI 2 as you may have glitches from the Onkyo as it is an older device and is not 4K or HDR capable. The TV does not support Dolby Vision and the Sony does not support HDR10+ but they both support HDR10 as that is the standard for UHD blu-ray. If everything works properly with the new hookup and adjustments, press the info button on the TV remote control while watching a 4K movie disc. You should see info at the top of the screen such as “3840x2160 / 24p UHD Color” and “UHD HDR.” A 4K movie disc with an atmos track should display something like “4K/24p HDR” and “Dolby TrueHD” when pressing the display button on the Sony’s remote control.

Last edited:
H

hootie01

Enthusiast
Hi. I've applied the changes suggested and the SACD plays! Thank you so.much. You've been a tremendous help. Apologies for not catching on to your instructions sooner!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Joy! Does the Onkyo front panel display DSD when pressing the RECEIVER button and then the DISPLAY button repeatedly on the Onkyo remote control?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DSD relates only to SACD (or downloaded dsd files perhaps). The bluray if using bitstream would display on the avr which codec it used (Dolby TrueHD/Atmos or DTS HD-MA or DTS:X, etc)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You just want to make sure the appropriate codec is coming over to the Onkyo via bitstream rather than PCM conversion. DSD for SACD and the designated codec on Blu-ray Discs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis