SACD 5.1 from Sony UBP-X700

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
hello all,
I am having trouble getting sound on my Denon AVR X3100 from Sony Blu Ray player. I've read manuals and I obviously cant fathom where its going wrong. I only have one HDMI running from player to amp. It only comes through as DSD 2 Channel???? I cant change it to 5.1??? Normal Blu Rays and DVD''s play fine in 5.1......???

Any help would be appreciated and thank you.....

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
Thank you.... what a dimwit....... All working now ...again thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Sony BR players have this setting and always wondered why there isn't an automatic setting to play the multich layer if available.....but my Oppo 203 also requires the manual setting.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am sure it is manual because people usually want it to default to the same setting. I go back and forth, like yesterday, I switched to the 2ch track because I wasn't in the room while listening.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also wonder if it's just a limit of the technology involved. Maybe there's no way to have it pick the multich track over the 2ch dsd track? I sure wouldn't mind if it automatically played the multich track on the SACDs that have 'em....suppose if I had a 2ch system that wouldn't be an issue and it could start from that concept?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My OPPO 205 is set to a preference for multi-channel layer and it's an awesome feature. I simply insert hybrid SACD, display then shows MCH, and automatically begins to play. For 2 channel SACD, I just use my 19 year old Sony DVD/CD/SACD Player, which still works. This procedure keeps it simple enough for me to actually push the right buttons to listen to media which I do not play enough to know what sequence of buttons need to be pushed to make things work without referring back to the manuals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I got the 203 and it used that term preference in the setup menu I thought great it'll play the multich layer I prefer if it's there....no, it just plays the multich layer (I have a disc that has both only 2ch and some multich on the same disc and it only plays the multich "preference" when set that way).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One of my older players had a button on the remote to swap CD/2ch/Multi. That was nice, but it would restart the disc since they were different tracks.

My old Sony SCD-222ES was 2ch only :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Stato, how do you like the 700? been trying to decide between that and the 800. (Might also wait for any new toys to come out in Jan/Feb.) One is Dolby Vision, one is HiRes audio... I've seen some people ding the 700 on build quality...

Please share your experience.

Thanks!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
T'would appear Sony updated the website to now include HiRes Audio. Used to not. Color me happy! Would still appreciate hearing your thoughts on it, Stato.

Best

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
My OPPO 205 is set to a preference for multi-channel layer and it's an awesome feature. I simply insert hybrid SACD, display then shows MCH, and automatically begins to play. For 2 channel SACD, I just use my 19 year old Sony DVD/CD/SACD Player, which still works. This procedure keeps it simple enough for me to actually push the right buttons to listen to media which I do not play enough to know what sequence of buttons need to be pushed to make things work without referring back to the manuals.
If you have your 205 set for Multi-Channel (default), it will play the 2 channel dsd layer on an SACD that isn't multi-channel encoded. Why use your 19 year old Sony when the 205 will play it back without doing anything more than hitting the play button (?).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you have your 205 set for Multi-Channel (default), it will play the 2 channel dsd layer on an SACD that isn't multi-channel encoded. Why use your 19 year old Sony when the 205 will play it back without doing anything more than hitting the play button (?).
Thanks for mentioning that. I was thinking my 203 wouldn't do that because of the one sampler album I have that has a mixture of multi-ch and 2ch (and I have to set the "preference" up accordingly)....just threw one of my 2ch only SACDs (only have two of those) and confirmed even when set for multi it will play the 2ch just fine.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you have your 205 set for Multi-Channel (default),it will play the 2 channel dsd layer on an SACD that isn't multi-channel encoded. Why use your 19 year old Sony when the 205 will play it back without doing anything more than hitting the play button (?).
Well, I'll tell you why. The OPPOs stereo output, which is higher quality than multi-channel is sent to my Sony TA-E9000ES rather than the TA-P9000ES, so I do not need to use the multi-channel outputs for stereo although I could. In fact, I could use the high quality unbalanced output as LF and RF in the multi-channel scheme. However, instead, I just choose between using the OPPO for stereo SACD or the Sony DVP-S9000ES; but, since I like the sound of the Sony better than the OPPO I usually use the Sony. In other words, it's like going to Burger King, I can have it my way. At any rate, the way I've got the OPPO configured for audio and video suits my style as well as all of my needs, primarily to listen to multi-channel SACDs and enjoy Ultra blu-rays, with need to only power-up the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog preamplifier as all other components are always in On condition. It's good I can get stuff to play without much thought since it's easy for me to forget sequences unless it's something I do every day. Here's a picture of one of my Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorders. Since I do not use these units daily anymore I sometimes need to pull out the manual just to get them to play much less record.
24641850610_4da97510b2_z.jpg

Last edited:
S

stato

Junior Audioholic
T'would appear Sony updated the website to now include HiRes Audio. Used to not. Color me happy! Would still appreciate hearing your thoughts on it, Stato.

Best
sorry for delayed response..... all I can say is its worth every cent i paid.... sounds great and is a great player for Blu ray too.... upscales DVD and has a great little remote... a friend has the the 800 and we cant really pick between them... either way I think you would be happy

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
sorry for delayed response..... all I can say is its worth every cent i paid.... sounds great and is a great player for Blu ray too.... upscales DVD and has a great little remote... a friend has the the 800 and we cant really pick between them... either way I think you would be happy
Thanks Stato!
I appreciate the reply! I'm eager to snag one... gonna wait maybe and see if there are any bigger sales than the standard $50 off i've been looking at for the past couple months. Maybe they announce a 2019 upgrade to the line; I'd be willing to go all-in on a new model since the previous ones were obviously done right... just cant go deep for the likes of the Oppo. ;) But native dolby vision + hi res audio is what I want. (even if DV isn't supported everywhere just yet).

Cheers!

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, if you don’t mind me resurrecting this thread I am looking to replace the Yamaha DVD/CD/SACD player (no hdmi outs) and the Samsung Blu-ray player listed in my signature with one universal disc player and I came across your posts here.

I am a bit perplexed, the UBP x700 is rather inexpensive but seems to be one of the few models that supports 4K WITH Dolby Vision. I’m willing to spend a bit more to get something higher quality but the other models (x800 and x1000) don’t have Dolby Vision and I am planning to get a new TV at some point in the near future so I want to make sure I have everything I need to support the most recent technologies. I also looked at the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 but it’s not even a 4K player and the Samsung UBD M9500 doesn’t have Dolby Vision either.

Other than DVD-A and an optical out (neither of which I need) is the x700 missing something the more expensive models have? Build quality? Anything else? Are there other units $500 and under I should be looking at?

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer?

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=0&compareItems=01|158X700&compareItems=01|158X800&compareItems=01|158X1000ES

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-launches-ubp-x700-4k-blu-ray-player-and-str-dh790-av-receiver

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve been happy with my 700 so far. I’m not a power user, but it works well, is small, was easy to set up... I’m more interested in it for audio, though the DolbyVision was a big part of my choice.
Maybe with new gear that might drop in spring, there will be more options, but if you want something now, I’d say pick one up!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey guys, if you don’t mind me resurrecting this thread I am looking to replace the Yamaha DVD/CD/SACD player (no hdmi outs) and the Samsung Blu-ray player listed in my signature with one universal disc player and I came across your posts here.

I am a bit perplexed, the UBP x700 is rather inexpensive but seems to be one of the few models that supports 4K WITH Dolby Vision. I’m willing to spend a bit more to get something higher quality but the other models (x800 and x1000) don’t have Dolby Vision and I am planning to get a new TV at some point in the near future so I want to make sure I have everything I need to support the most recent technologies. I also looked at the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 but it’s not even a 4K player and the Samsung UBD M9500 doesn’t have Dolby Vision either.

Other than DVD-A and an optical out (neither of which I need) is the x700 missing something the more expensive models have? Build quality? Anything else? Are there other units $500 and under I should be looking at?

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer?

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=0&compareItems=01|158X700&compareItems=01|158X800&compareItems=01|158X1000ES

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-launches-ubp-x700-4k-blu-ray-player-and-str-dh790-av-receiver
x800 lacks Dolby Vision but it has DVD Audio, which the x700 is missing. I have one of each, but in different rooms. I watch a lot of 4K UHD movies.

For streaming I use my Apple TV 4K for Netflix and AMZN etc. The Apple supports Atmos.

H

hootie01

Enthusiast
I have the 700 and unable to access the 5.1 surround sound but can access the 2 channel. I have changed the settings in the Music Menu to SACD 5.1 and the TV displays this and the disc plays but no sound is heard. Any advice?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis