Rythmik FV18 Servo Subwoofer Sound Demo Report

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Renowned sub manufacturer Rythmik Audio recently released an 18" triple ported subwoofer, the FV18. This subwoofer sports a newly developed black anodized aluminum driver that is driven by an also newly developed 900 watt Hypex class D amplifier. This beast of a sub is made for those who require more ultra low end output. The FV18 does not behave like a typical ported sub. It has the output in spades, but also the articulation Rythmik is known for. Check out the sound demo report on how this sub performs with a variety of source material in an in-home audition.

rythmik.jpg

Read: Rythmik FV18 Servo Subwoofer Sound Demo Report

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the update. I can't wait for the full review.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The sub was very impressive a few months back. Didn't seem any more or less special than any other highly capable subwoofers :D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
It's one heckuva subwoofer. When I evaluated one in the fall part of my conclusion was...

Capable of remarkable output and depth - all while maintaining the accuracy this company is known for - Rythmik has created a very impressive subwoofer in the FV18. This is no 'jack of all trades, master of none' product as it hits every target, and it does so with relative ease.

It's essentially more of everything the FV15HP is, which itself is a benchmark product.

A

Aaromon

Audiophyte
agree with everything in this review. i formerly owned a pair of fv15hp's, and recently upgraded to a pair of fv25hp's. rythmik makes amazing products. hands down the best sounding subwoofers i have ever heard. clean, deep, fast bass.

do an fv25hp review in the future! :D

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's one heckuva subwoofer. When I evaluated one in the fall part of my conclusion was...

Capable of remarkable output and depth - all while maintaining the accuracy this company is known for - Rythmik has created a very impressive subwoofer in the FV18. This is no 'jack of all trades, master of none' product as it hits every target, and it does so with relative ease.

It's essentially more of everything the FV15HP is, which itself is a benchmark product.
Thanks for the heads up.
I figure many reading this would probably want to read your review as well:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/171498-rythmik-fv18-subwoofer-review.html

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Would I be crazy to add this to my KEF LS50 speakers in a 12x15 room for 2.1 channel MUSIC ONLY SYSTEM??? I'm serious. :D

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Crazy is a relative term - at least as it relates to audio - so the answer is... maybe. ;)

Take a look at the link KEW posted to my review and make a call. The room I use is slightly larger than yours, so that will give you an idea of what it's capable of in a similar sized space. Bottom line is it may be overkill, but that's another relative term in audio. It could be just what you're looking for.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Would I be crazy to add this to my KEF LS50 speakers in a 12x15 room for 2.1 channel MUSIC ONLY SYSTEM??? I'm serious. :D
The advice I got was to cross the ls50's as high as possible, I plan to put my subs near the ls50 so location of the subs is not a problem and will start with cross around 140-150hz. so talk to the guys at Rythmik first!

Unless you listen to some synthesized heavy bass or pipe organ, I got a feeling that if you got this, it would end up in your HT.

Typical music just won't use the low extension and you could probably do well in that room with a pair of F12's (I'd go with the paper woofer version that Rythmik recommends for high frequencies)!
The FV18 may do a great job with the higher frequencies, but $1700 is a lot of coin if you are not planning to use the expensive part of it!

Last edited:
J

Javan

Audiophyte
Man of Steel? Jurassic Park? If you were impressed by those, just wait till you try some movies with real bass. Man of Steel drops off like a rock below 30hz. It's one of the worst big-budget action movies for deep bass that there is.

Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
I upgraded from a PSA V1801 fart box to an FV15HP, and planned to get another one. Once this monster came out I purchased it and use it in conjunction with the FV15. Really liked the upper bass slam of the V1801, but deep bass was terrible. Nothing but port noise which doesn't affect the Rythmiks at all. The deep, clean bass these put out is unmatched. I cannot imagine a better home theater sub, no matter the cost.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I upgraded from a PSA V1801 fart box to an FV15HP, and planned to get another one. Once this monster came out I purchased it and use it in conjunction with the FV18. Really liked the upper bass slam of the V1801, but deep bass was terrible. Nothing but port noise which doesn't affect the Rythmiks at all. The deep, clean bass these put out is unmatched. I cannot imagine a better home theater sub, no matter the cost.
Interesting. I thought the V1800s might be underported. You can't put an 18 into a small cabinet and try to tune it to any deep frequency at all. Cabinet size is critical for deep bass performance. Most 18"s are for live sound reinforcement and have smaller cabs but they are tuned to the mid 30s to 40 Hz. For the FV15HP, have you tried 1 port open mode? I would have guessed that does not give you enough port volume for the 12 Hz tuning frequency and may get into chuffing if you push it in those deep frequencies. It shouldn't be that much of a problem though, since there just isn't that much content with frequencies that deep.

Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
Interesting. I thought the V1800s might be underported. You can't put an 18 into a small cabinet and try to tune it to any deep frequency at all. Cabinet size is critical for deep bass performance. Most 18"s are for live sound reinforcement and have smaller cabs but they are tuned to the mid 30s to 40 Hz. For the FV15HP, have you tried 1 port open mode? I would have guessed that does not give you enough port volume for the 12 Hz tuning frequency and may get into chuffing if you push it in those deep frequencies. It shouldn't be that much of a problem though, since there just isn't that much content with frequencies that deep.
I have tried 1 port mode on the FV15, and if pushed really hard at reference level it does have a little port noise. Nothing like the PSA sub though which starts farting at 30hz. Granted there is very little material that requires 12hz tuning, but it also reduces your maximum output as well. The native tuning frequency of both the FV15 and FV18 are perfect for both movies and music.

D

Dean1219

Audiophyte
I am saving up to get the L22 which I think is a "sleeper" in the Rythmik lineup.

S

Slickman

Audiophyte
Those numbers are from revision 1 of the FV18. The new FV18 revision 2 has 4"' ports instead of 3.5" and you can also get a paper cone version which adds even more output.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those numbers are from revision 1 of the FV18. The new FV18 revision 2 has 4"' ports instead of 3.5" and you can also get a paper cone version which adds even more output.
These types of design changes always involve a trade-off. You can give the ports a larger diameter that will give them somewhat more output but that raises their tuning frequency and so reduces extension. You can give the cones a lighter material that will make them more sensitive, but it raises their resonant frequency and again lessens extension.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis