RX-V6A Lost Video Signal to TV (LG C1)

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
Hi guys

I've had an RX-V6A into an LG C1 for about six weeks now. It has an NZ My Sky connected to HDMI 4 and a Blueray player into HDMI 5.
HDMI 4 on the V6A (the Sky box) is set to 1.4 and Mode 2. I can't check that now because I am unable to display the V6A setup menu on the TV
The signal to the TV is from eARC on the receiver to HDMI 2 on the TV. It has been working fine until two days ago when I was unable to view the My Sky box or Blueray player. I also use MP4 files into the TV USB port and they play fine as does the audio via the V6A. Same with other apps on the TV like YouTube.

When I turn on the TV the receiver starts as usual, but it detects the Blueray (but does not play it. The TV constantly show 'No Signal'
I am also unable to get the V6A Setup to display on the TV.
Simplink is turned on on the TV.
Sound source on TV is set to ARC and to wired speaker
The TV input is set to the correct HDMI port which it is currently seeing as BD. It has previously seen it as Yamaha Sound Bar
TV Inputs.jpg

The Sky box plays OK if connected directly to the TV
One possible clue is that if I disconnect the HDMI from V6A eARC to TV input the sky box audio starts to play via the V6A
I've tried a different HDMI cable from V6A to the TV
If I turn everything off and turn on first the sky box and then the TV, the V6A will turn on automatically but the TV will always show no signal.

I've been at this for two days now and I'm pulling my hair out. Thankfully my wife is away looking after her mum at the moment, because she would have lost patience long since. So any ideas where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
I've been trying to make things as simple as possible, so I now only have the one HDMI cable from V6A eARC out to the TV HDMI 2 (eARC). As before, and source from within the TV (YouTube app, MP4 files via the USB input) play fine and I am getting full ATMOS audio via the V6A. But I still can't view the V6A's setup menu on the TV.
The TV is now seeing its HDMI 2 input as a Yamaha sound bar. TV and V6A firmware are both up to date.

I can at least view the Sky box by connecting it directly to the TV, and still get audio from the V6A, but that loses the auto start features of the receiver, and I still can't view the setup menu.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys

I've had an RX-V6A into an LG C1 for about six weeks now. It has an NZ My Sky connected to HDMI 4 and a Blueray player into HDMI 5.
HDMI 4 on the V6A (the Sky box) is set to 1.4 and Mode 2. I can't check that now because I am unable to display the V6A setup menu on the TV
The signal to the TV is from eARC on the receiver to HDMI 2 on the TV. It has been working fine until two days ago when I was unable to view the My Sky box or Blueray player. I also use MP4 files into the TV USB port and they play fine as does the audio via the V6A. Same with other apps on the TV like YouTube.

When I turn on the TV the receiver starts as usual, but it detects the Blueray (but does not play it. The TV constantly show 'No Signal'
I am also unable to get the V6A Setup to display on the TV.
Simplink is turned on on the TV.
Sound source on TV is set to ARC and to wired speaker
The TV input is set to the correct HDMI port which it is currently seeing as BD. It has previously seen it as Yamaha Sound Bar
View attachment 51663
The Sky box plays OK if connected directly to the TV
One possible clue is that if I disconnect the HDMI from V6A eARC to TV input the sky box audio starts to play via the V6A
I've tried a different HDMI cable from V6A to the TV
If I turn everything off and turn on first the sky box and then the TV, the V6A will turn on automatically but the TV will always show no signal.

I've been at this for two days now and I'm pulling my hair out. Thankfully my wife is away looking after her mum at the moment, because she would have lost patience long since. So any ideas where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I would do a hard reset of the receiver. It sounds as if the problem is with the receiver. I would try up to three hard resets of the receiver. If after three resets you can't get the receiver to pass a signal to the TV, then the receiver needs to go in for repair or be replaced. Is the receiver still under warrant? Did you buy it new, or as a refurb?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I've been trying to make things as simple as possible, so I now only have the one HDMI cable from V6A eARC out to the TV HDMI 2 (eARC). As before, and source from within the TV (YouTube app, MP4 files via the USB input) play fine and I am getting full ATMOS audio via the V6A. But I still can't view the V6A's setup menu on the TV.
The TV is now seeing its HDMI 2 input as a Yamaha sound bar. TV and V6A firmware are both up to date.
You cannot view the receiver’s setup menu while using internal apps on the television. Is HDMI Control enabled in the receiver and other devices?

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
The receiver is only a couple of months old, so no problem there.
I think I have seen the setup menu over the LG WEB OS screen. At the moment I feel like I have tried every conceivable combination so should have hit on an option that worked. I can here the relay click inside the receiver when I press setup on the receiver.

I now have the Sky box working by connecting it directly the the TV via HDMI 1. This still gives me full audio via the V6A via the eARC connection from V6A out to TV HDMI 2

I've tried a different TV that has an ARC input (but not eARC) and still get no setup displayed. I've also tried connecting a blueray to the receiver and that does not display on the other TV

HDMI control was enabled on the receiver but I can't check that while I can't view setup. The receiver was auto selecting the skybox and blueray before the issue started . On the LG C1 I have Simplink HDMI-CEC enabled.

I'm in NZ and it's getting late here, so I'll try a reset tomorrow. I feel it is more likely I have set something wrong than the receiver is faulting already. You never know though.

Thanks for your help guys.

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
I don't know if this is relevant or any sort of a clue, but when I disconnected the HDMI from the TV just now, I was getting audio from the blueray via the receiver. I remember the same thing happens with the LG. Sound on the LG is set to wired external.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You shouldn't hear the clicking of anything when simply pressing the setup button. Try unplugging the receiver and TV for a bit. This can sometimes clear up HDMI issues. If it is still not working, try the hard reset as was suggested. Press the MENU/CONNECT button just below the select knob on the front panel. Then, turn the knob until you see Settings and press it. Turn the knob again until you see Initialization and press it. You will see All Initialization. Press the knob again and you will see Cancel. Turn the knob to Execute and then press it. You will see Reconfirmation and Cancel. Turn the knob to Execute and press it. The receiver will power off and turn back on in factory reset mode.

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
Trebdp83, you are officially a genius. I powered it down from the wall socket for about 45 minutes, and when I turned it back on I could tell straight away that things were different. For a start, thee TV now had a fully black screen when the Receiver was set to TV, and there was no longer a relay click when I hit the set up button, and the setup menu came right up on the TV!

OK I've now powered up the blueray and the receiver switched over and I have picture and sound. I've reconnected the original, plumbed in HDMI cables and connected the Sky box to the receiver, and that all works properly as well! This will have been my third day of banging my head against the wall. It has been a frustrating experience, but on the positive side I now have a better understanding of how the receiver (and TV) work from hours reading their user guides.

Thanks again Trebdp83 for what turned out to be an easy fix, and thank you TLS Guy for your help. I can now get back to more useful projects.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Trebdp83, you are officially a genius. I powered it down from the wall socket for about 45 minutes, and when I turned it back on I could tell straight away that things were different. For a start, thee TV now had a fully black screen when the Receiver was set to TV, and there was no longer a relay click when I hit the set up button, and the setup menu came right up on the TV!

OK I've now powered up the blueray and the receiver switched over and I have picture and sound. I've reconnected the original, plumbed in HDMI cables and connected the Sky box to the receiver, and that all works properly as well! This will have been my third day of banging my head against the wall. It has been a frustrating experience, but on the positive side I now have a better understanding of how the receiver (and TV) work from hours reading their user guides.

Thanks again Trebdp83 for what turned out to be an easy fix, and thank you TLS Guy for your help. I can now get back to more useful projects.
Soft reset like that is always a good first step when encountering glitches. A full reset if it doesn't do anything, but nice if you can avoid that. Congrats!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Joy! HDMI-CEC issues are common and infuriating. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve unplugged the TV because it acted up.

S

StreamingTVPioneer

Audiophyte
OK so you all do not have to reset everything every time this issue pops up. Run setup on the AVR, go to functions and select Initialize, press enter to confirm, this function re-initializes the HDMI ports. Re-run YAPO and your all set.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I stopped counting the number of times I've reset my entire system because of the nightmare of HDMI-CEC. No standard for implementation among manufacturers means no really reliable compatibility. My RX-V6A sits in another room now. Buggy little f#%ker.

G

Gian

Audiophyte
Hi all, I had the same problem: I was oblige to reset continuously the RX-V6A. After the reset the system was working for a while, but when I turned it off or put it in standby the problem was happening again. Just when I was going to send the amplifier to Yamaha support, I connected other devices (Chomecast, Blu-Ray Player) to the RX-V6A HDMI ports, leaving no HDMI port unconnected. After that RX-V6A started to work fine. I haven't had any problem in the last two months. I don’t know the reason; my guess is that on unconnected HDMI ports remains a sort of “memory” of the devices that were previously connected, and this causes the glitches. Connecting other devices reset in some way this memory. I hope this can help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all, I had the same problem: I was oblige to reset continuously the RX-V6A. After the reset the system was working for a while, but when I turned it off or put it in standby the problem was happening again. Just when I was going to send the amplifier to Yamaha support, I connected other devices (Chomecast, Blu-Ray Player) to the RX-V6A HDMI ports, leaving no HDMI port unconnected. After that RX-V6A started to work fine. I haven't had any problem in the last two months. I don’t know the reason; my guess is that on unconnected HDMI ports remains a sort of “memory” of the devices that were previously connected, and this causes the glitches. Connecting other devices reset in some way this memory. I hope this can help.
Sometimes running a full reset to get rid of previous settings can be helpful.

D

dogthe

Audiophyte
I had the same issue with no video output from the RX-V6A to a newer Samsung TV. I tried everything mentioned above, and also took the unit in for warranty (they replaced HDMI board). Still no luck.

However today.....I went into the Samsung TV Settings into the General>External Device Manager> Input Signal Plus>HDMI2. Now it works perfectly. So I think the issue relates to the Samsung settings.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis