D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
So if you don't get 50% and have a runoff, what if that second election doesn't produce 50%?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Or why not petition a recount if it's close?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
My bad. The second election means one would get 50%, but than why not the presidential election too??? You have one vote, count, and that's it.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It just seems like a lot of extra time and resources used. You get say two recounts tops and that's it (depending upon how long the recounts take). Depended upon recount margins of course.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
The runoff election only includes the top two vote getters on the ballot. So one of them will receive more than 50% and another less than 50%.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Presidential general election usually has two on the ballot, no?
Georgia may be the only state that has such a requirement?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The runoff election only includes the top two vote getters on the ballot. So one of them will receive more than 50% and another less than 50%.
Unless they get the same number of votes, of course. What happens then I guess depends on where you are in the world.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The run-off vote in Georgia is for the US Senate. For last Tuesday's election, there were more than 2 candidates:
Raphael Warnock (Dem) 49.4%​
Herschel Walker (GOP) 48.5%​
Chase Oliver (Libertarian) 2.1%​
The run-off election will be between the top 2 finishers, Warnock and Walker – in January December. This is one good reason why Ranked Choice elections would be better. No need for a run-off election.

In Ranked Choice, voters choose their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices, etc., all in one election ballot. If no one gets more than 50% in the first vote tally, the last finisher is eliminated, and a new tally is added up. Votes for an eliminated candidate get added to the tally of the remaining candidates as each voter had previously instructed. For example, in Georgia, 2.1% of the votes went for Oliver in the 1st tally. In the 2nd tally, those 2.1% of the votes get distributed among Warnock and Walker as those Oliver voters had chosen for their 2nd choices. Warnock wins if he gets more than 0.6% of those Oliver votes, and Walker wins if he gets more than 1.5% to win. It wouldn't take long to know the results.

One of the major problems we now have with primary elections where each party selects a single nominee for the November election, is that it tends to favor candidates from the extremes of a party. Lately, the GOP has suffered losses in November because they choose extreme right-wing candidates in the primary election. If Ranked Choice gets used in primary elections, it would tend to favor centrist candidates over those from the extremes. Personally, I'd like to see more of that.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The run-off vote in Georgia is for the US Senate. For last Tuesday's election, there were more than 2 candidates:
Raphael Warnock (Dem) 49.4%​
Herschel Walker (GOP) 48.5%​
Chase Oliver (Libertarian) 2.1%​
The run-off election will be between the top 2 finishers, Warnock and Walker – in January. This is one good reason why Ranked Choice elections would be better. No need for a run-off election.

In Ranked Choice, voters choose their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices, etc., all in one election. If no one gets more than 50% in the first vote tally, the last finisher is eliminated, and a new tally is added up. Votes for an eliminated candidate get added to the tally of the remaining candidates as the voter had previously instructed. For example, in Georgia, 2.1% of the votes went for Oliver in the 1st tally. In the 2nd tally, those 2.1% of the votes get distributed among Warnock and Walker as those Oliver voters had chosen for their 2nd choice. Warnock wins if he gets more than 0.6% of those Oliver votes, and Walker wins if he gets more than 1.5% to win. It wouldn't take long to know the results.

One of the major problems we now have with primary elections where each party selects a single nominee for the November election, is that it tends to favor candidates from the extremes of a party. Lately, the GOP has suffered losses in November because they choose extreme right-wing candidates in the primary election. If Ranked Choice gets used in primary elections, it would tend to favor centrist candidates over those from the extremes. Personally, I'd like to see more of that.
I thought it was Dec 6th not January? Anyway, a lot of resources and time used.

BTW, it should be said there are MAGA candidates the Dems funded. What's left I can't remember. JD Vance if he qualifies won. Lake for AZ gov is behind. I'm not sure if Walker is MAGA?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure the 'runoff' is next month as well

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty sure the 'runoff' is next month as well
You're both right. The runoff election is in December. I must have been thinking of a previous runoff election from January 2021.

I voted early in October by mail-in ballot. That very same day, I wished this cursed off-year election was over. If there's one thing I despise, it's the never ending election campaign. Only the consultants and fund raisers benefit.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

BTW, it should be said there are MAGA candidates the Dems funded. What's left I can't remember. JD Vance if he qualifies won. Lake for AZ gov is behind. I'm not sure if Walker is MAGA?
It's on Dec 6th because, if Japan mounts a commemorative sneak attack on the 7th, the election might be disrupted.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It amazes me the stupidity of the 'Trumper Republicans' for they are so myopic they can't see (nor comprehend) the poison that man is to the party. The sooner that fat orange haired blob disappears the better !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It amazes me the stupidity of the 'Trumper Republicans' for they are so myopic they can't see (nor comprehend) the poison that man is to the party. The sooner that fat orange haired blob disappears the better !
Because that fat orange haired blob had so thoroughly and easily dominated the GOP, Democratic or independent voters in the USA believe that the GOP in general is not capable of governing responsibly and cannot be trusted in any national office.

As a Democratic voter, I agree with you that the sooner the GOP rejects the Orange Peril, the better for the entire country. However, it won't be easy. Trump won't volunteer to disappear quietly or soon. I think legal action – criminal prosecution – will be required.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis