RSL C34E In-ceiling Speaker Review

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
So, I do not write many product reviews but when I do it typically means the product has impressed me to the point of wanting to share it with others. In this case that product is the RSL C34E in-ceiling speakers.

I recently upgraded all of my audio/video to 4K. For me this means a new 65" TV, 4K DVD player and an AV receiver to use with my existing external amp. I have been running GoldenEar speakers in a 5.1 configuration but wanted to add two (2) height speakers.

Since I had GoldenEar speakers already I was inclined to go with that brand to keep everything matching. I called my local dealer and found out that their in-ceiling speakers were quite expensive. Keep in mind I just spent a fair amount money on my other new gear.

So, the search was on for viable options (and believe me there was many). I considered many of the brands most everyone has heard of. I read several professional reviews that helped me narrow the field. I eventually landed on the RSL Speaker website https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/. To be honest, I had not even heard of RSL speakers but I am glad I found them. After comparing the quality of components used in the RSL C34E to others I realized that the RSL was one of the best values I had found. So, I took the plunge and purchased a pair. I figured at $125.00 each it was worth a shot plus you get a 30 trial period. If you're not satisfied you can send them back. I can tell you now that you will not send them back.

The speakers were delivered quickly and I opened the box with great anticipation. The speakers are on the large size and requires a 10" hole to be cut into the ceiling. This did not bother me at all since I only had room in my listening area for two (2) height speakers. To me, the larger speakers would fill the room with the needed overhead sound that ATMOS is known for.

I have a vaulted ceiling and had some questions about positioning, etc. so I sent RSL my questions. Joe Rodgers answered my questions promptly. I could not believe the owner of the company would personally respond to my questions. To me this means a LOT. I proceeded to install the speakers with the help of my niece. The installation was straightforward. The instructions provided were very helpful. Since the speakers are open-back I did install with a cover over the back with insulation over that.

After making sure the settings on my Anthem MRX-720 were correct I proceeded to watch and listen to various content. I watched movie scenes from Van Helsing, A Quite Place, Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Bohemian Rhapsody and Halloween. I can tell you beyond a doubt that these speakers performed as they were intended. These same movies that I had watched several times in the old 5.1 set-up became a much more immersive experience. Even the quite scenes now exhibited more sounds of leaves falling, wind, rain, etc.. The difference was significant enough for the niece and wife to comment on how good it sounded. Even the dog and cat were looking around trying to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Musically the speakers performed very well. We listened to rock, country, jazz and a great local bluegrass band - Carson Peters and Iron Mountain Band. If you like bluegrass look these guys up.

With all that said these speakers exceeded my expectations. I could have paid a lot more for a pair of speakers but I know now that more expensive does not always mean better. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone who is looking to add high-value, high-quality, superior-sounding speakers to their system. I have included the speaker specs below so you can see for yourself the component quality used in RSL speakers.

In the end, I hope this little bit of real-world, actual user input will help others make the decision.

Woofer: x2 4 1/2” with Ferrite Magnet, Polypropylene Cone, and Cast aluminum frame
Tweeter: 7/8” Soft Dome, Ferrite Magnet
Frequency Response: 70Hz – 20,000 Hz ± 3db
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohmsSensitivity: 88dB SPL at 1 watt at 1 meter
Recommended Power: 25 – 150 watts
Crossover Frequency: 2,500 Hz
Crossover Slope: 6 db/octave
Crossover Parts: Air-core coil, polypropylene capacitors, gold-Plated binding posts
Tuning Method: N/A
System Resonance: N/A
Weight: 4 1/4 lbs.
Dimensions: C34E: Diameter: 11 5/8″ Depth: 3 7/8″
Hole: Diameter: 10″ Depth: 4 1/4″

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice write up. I also use them in my system, and do love them. My vaulted ceiling was a big consideration and Joe spent much time looking over my detailed drawings and pictures. Can’t say enough about Joe Rodgers. excellent company.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis