Ripped music Organization - Is there a way to list Albums Chronologically rather than Alphabetically?

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Hi, all. I'm new to all this, so forgive me if this road has been gone down before.

I just started the process of ripping my CD collection to FLAC and storing the files on a NAS. I can then access the files on my Home Network and play them back on my AV Receiver using the HEOS app. I am used to sorting my LPs and CDs by artist alphabetically, and they by album chronologically. I'm almost 200 CDs deep in my ripping task, and I've come to realize that the file structure and HEOS user interface lists the artist albums alphabetically, which I guess makes perfect sense for a computer.

1597331436172.png

My question is, is there some trick or workaround to use the Metadata embedded in the albums to sort artist albums by date? One solution would be to add numbers before the album names to sort them, but that would be a major pain in the ass.

If I just have to live with alphabetical I'm sure it's fine. There are worse problems in the world. I was hoping some clever person has run into this issue and solved it already.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Put the year first. That's the only way I was able to do it years ago when I didn't use Plex.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Put the year first. That's the only way I was able to do it years ago when I didn't use Plex.
Put the year before the album title...that makes sense. My NAS (I only just set it up yesterday) has Plex available as an app. Plex has better sorting options, I presume? How could I play back music on Plex through HEOS and my Receiver?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Put the year before the album title...that makes sense. My NAS (I only just set it up yesterday) has Plex available as an app. Plex has better sorting options, I presume? How could I play back music on Plex through HEOS and my Receiver?
Honestly, I haven't used Plex with Heos. Or Heos at all, even though my receiver supports it. Plex has a DLNA server so you could use that with Heos no problem, but I'm not sure it would solve your album sorting problem. Worth a try though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can sort my music files in a variety of ways, but I use Foobar2000.....is that an option for you to use with Heos?

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I can sort my music files in a variety of ways, but I use Foobar2000.....is that an option for you to use with Heos?
I'm not sure, but I will check it out. If PLEX will work (which I haven't tested yet) then Foobar should too, provided it's a DLNA server. My general impression is that people aren't crazy about the HEOS app, finding it too clunky and with limited features. I don't mind it (at least not yet, I've only been using it a few weeks), but I'm old school. I hear wonderful things about Roon. Someday down the road I may try that with some Raspberry Pi dealio.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Plex and streaming are pretty much the only way I listen to music now and I just use their native apps to control my Android TV devices. Works pretty much perfectly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure, but I will check it out. If PLEX will work (which I haven't tested yet) then Foobar should too, provided it's a DLNA server. My general impression is that people aren't crazy about the HEOS app, finding it too clunky and with limited features. I don't mind it (at least not yet, I've only been using it a few weeks), but I'm old school. I hear wonderful things about Roon. Someday down the road I may try that with some Raspberry Pi dealio.
Yes, Foobar works with DLNA and you can try it easily enough as it's free. Roon seems to provide nothing I can't manage for myself, and the cost is prohibitive IMO....but I may need to actually try it someday outside of the brief look I took when a trial came with my Oppo.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Yes, Foobar works with DLNA and you can try it easily enough as it's free. Roon seems to provide nothing I can't manage for myself, and the cost is prohibitive IMO....but I may need to actually try it someday outside of the brief look I took when a trial came with my Oppo.
That's great, thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis