RIP, a key member of the audio community, Jeff Bagby

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This morning, Loudspeaker Designer Jeff Bagby, from Kokomo, Indiana (Howard County) passed away after having been hospitalized with pneumonia on March 9th. A 60-year old man from Howard County was also confirmed to have passed away to COVID-19 today after having been hospitalized. I can't confirm if these two people are one and the same, but it's a great loss for our community nonetheless.

Jeff designed the Continuum, which was his take on the classic BBC monitor spec, but far more modern:

the above is the Salk-constructed version. The design was also available as a kit. Jeff designed various speakers which many have made here on Audioholics

and this was his Kairos 3-way, a very high-end piece:

1636523-speakersjeff-bagbys-kairos-3-way-tower-with-woofer-module.jpg

As well as the Salk Pharos

product_443492.jpg

and Salk Archos Open-Baffle:

Salk Archos.jpg

He also designed a good chunk of the enclosure design of the Salk Soundscape, those passive radiators were his idea.

Salk Soundscape.jpg

And some constant directivity style kits, such as the Zephyr-12s below:
649259978_large_d2b3c0b8444c5219b488643817bedb3a (1).jpg
and the Maximus-12s:

Image result for Maximus-12

And his own DIY pair of towers named the Rubicons, one of my personal favourites just from the aesthetics:

Rubicon7.jpg

And he also wrote this outstanding article on a key aspect of measuring drivers

along with other endless information he's shared with the loudspeaker community. I carefully utilized this information when I designed the speakers linked in my own signature, and he shared friendly PMs that helped make that project happen.

Finally, his various excel worksheets, most notably Passive Crossover Designer and Baffle Diffraction Simulator, became a staple of DIY loudspeaker design. They are available on his page:

RIP, Jeff:

90682578_3346792975350557_185106970129203200_o.jpg

The community lost someone great, today.

Attachments

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dang, sad to hear!

I've never seen a complete list of his designs and contributions, but it must be impressive.

Seems that he does not get a whole lot of attention on AH, but certainly does on other forums. I have been wanting to build a set of the PE Solstice ever since they were released.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Jeff Bagby had also been involved in the SEOS designs for awhile. This is a real blow to the DIY speaker building community.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This morning, Loudspeaker Designer Jeff Bagby, from Kokomo, Indiana (Howard County) passed away after having been hospitalized with pneumonia on March 9th. A 60-year old man from Howard County was also confirmed to have passed away to COVID-19 today after having been hospitalized. I can't confirm if these two people are one and the same, but it's a great loss for our community nonetheless.

Jeff designed the Continuum, which was his take on the classic BBC monitor spec, but far more modern:

the above is the Salk-constructed version. The design was also available as a kit. Jeff designed various speakers which many have made here on Audioholics

and this was his Kairos 3-way, a very high-end piece:

View attachment 34834

As well as the Salk Pharos

View attachment 34829

and Salk Archos.

View attachment 34830

He also designed a good chunk of the enclosure design of the Salk Soundscape, those passive radiators were his idea.

View attachment 34831

And some constant directivity style kits, such as the Zephyr-12s below:
View attachment 34833and the Maximus-12s:

Image result for Maximus-12

And his own DIY pair of towers named the Rubicons, one of my personal favourites just from the aesthetics:

View attachment 34832

And he also wrote this outstanding article on a key aspect of measuring drivers

along with other endless information he's shared with the loudspeaker community. I carefully utilized this information when I designed the speakers linked in my own signature.

The community lost someone great, today.
I sit here wanting to acknowledge this post with a thumb up but it doesn't seem right. I think we need to add a new emoji. I didn't know this man but my sincere condolences to his family. His contribution to this hobby is impressive and this is a big loss. James, if you want to write up an editorial on this, I will post on our site. thanks.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Damn...A true loss to the hobby.

R.I.P. Mr. Bagby

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I sit here wanting to acknowledge this post with a thumb up but it doesn't seem right. I think we need to add a new emoji. I didn't know this man but my sincere condolences to his family. His contribution to this hobby is impressive and this is a big loss. James, if you want to write up an editorial on this, I will post on our site. thanks.
Yes, we need a salute emoji.
2f0.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I sit here wanting to acknowledge this post with a thumb up but it doesn't seem right.
This has come up a lot when we RIP the passing of an Artist and such... "Liking" the sentiment is not liking the passing. :)
James, if you want to write up an editorial on this, I will post on our site. thanks.
THIS!!!
I don't know near enough about all of his contributions, yet recognize that his name is attached to many great things in the DIY community. For example (though I haven't used it yet) the Passive Crossover Design worksheet has been an invaluable tool to many.

Definitely a sad for anybody interested or invested in this hobby!

RIP, Jeff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe just a sad emoji....could be useful in other ways, too...

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
What a bummer. The Tempests will rock the block today in his honor.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is a terrible loss to the DIY community. He was a great cheer leader for it. Not nearly enough audio enthusiasts learn to design and build their own speakers. He showed with data that the home builder can come up with designs better than the vast majority of speakers available through commercial channels.

This is a terrible loss.

I encourage all to honor his memory fighting back against a president who thinks he will save the economy by letting this terrible infection run riot throughout the country. We will loose a lot of this kind of talent and worse if Trump gets his way. Italy has already lost 10% if its most skilled physicians though this. We stand to loose a lot more if Trump gets his way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even I've heard of Jeff and looked at some of his designs. This really does suck.
We will loose a lot of this kind of talent and worse if Trump gets his way. Italy has already lost 10% if its most skilled physicians though this. We stand to loose a lot more if Trump gets his way.
I am not Mr Politics by a longshot and am not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I just want some clarity on what you mean here. What has Trump done (or not done?) that's going to make things worse? Are we seriously underreacting or are funds being pulled from somewhere they shouldn't? Again, I just want to know. I don't want to spark a political debate. I just want facts.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am so sad to hear this.
Even I've heard of Jeff and looked at some of his designs. This really does suck.

I am not Mr Politics by a longshot and am not agreeing or disagreeing with you, I just want some clarity on what you mean here. What has Trump done (or not done?) that's going to make things worse? Are we seriously underreacting or are funds being pulled from somewhere they shouldn't? Again, I just want to know. I don't want to spark a political debate. I just want facts.
He wants to lift the shutdown restriction by easter and have folks go back to work. Problem is, we are on the upswing of this disaster and not the downswing. The results could be disastrous to our elderly population... some politicians are actually implying that the elderly should "take one for the team" to get the Dow back up. No, I'm not kidding.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am so sad to hear this.

He wants to lift the shutdown restriction by easter and have folks go back to work. Problem is, we are on the upswing of this disaster and not the downswing. The results could be disastrous to our elderly population... some politicians are actually implying that the elderly should "take one for the team" to get the Dow back up. No, I'm not kidding.
Okay, that's... not good. :oops:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jeff Bagby's loss is a shock. He was one of those DIY designers who everyone was familiar with. His designs have an excellent reputation. His online descriptions of them were also an excellent read for anyone interested in speaker design.

He once wrote a long set of articles in the Parts Express Techtalk forum called "A Theory on Loudspeaker Imaging by Jeff Bagby". It got my attention years ago – I thought it was excellent. I kept a copy just for my own reference. I just converted it to PDF and attached it below.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I'm not heavily into politics either. However for the sake of transparency I am a registered Republican. However during the last election campaign I did write to the central party asking that Trump be expelled from the Republican party. That is before he won the party's nomination.

The fact is that this President is uneducated, unread and pig dribble stupid.

He does not have a sufficient fund of knowledge to deal with a situation like this. He obviously has no idea of the havoc this pandemic has wrought in Asia, Europe and now New York.

I just spoke with the nephrologist on our ICU team, that I worked with for nearly 30 years. He owns the B & W 800 D3s by the way. He said: - "Trump is going to set the country of fire!"

The point is that this is already a catastrophe and he wants to put it on steroids. He is stupid enough to think that if he sacrifices lives, and there will be enormous number of them, he will rescue the economy by sacrificing these lives. He won't. The economy is already totally wrecked. It can not be put back together the way it was. Life is now for ever changed. We are into the transition to a new world order now. The present imperative is the saving of life and the talent that those lives encompass.

Now we have a dumb Texas Lt. governor saying that the over seventies are prepared to jump off the cliff to save the economy. If that were true, I might give it some thought, but that is another Orwellian lie.

If you thought that you neglect the elderly, that these are deaths will free up resources you are wrong. These elderly patients will still require a lot of attention and care from medical staff. A death from ARDS that if not carefully managed is just truly horrible and agonizing. Letting thousand die form it unattended is totally amoral.

Our lunatic president wants to see the Churches full on Easter Sunday! Trump is an idiot, and a way needs to be found to remove him form office within days.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Jeff Bagby's loss is a shock. He was one of those DIY designers who everyone was familiar with. His designs have an excellent reputation. His online descriptions of them were also an excellent read for anyone interested in speaker design.

He once wrote a long set of articles in the Parts Express Techtalk forum called "A Theory on Loudspeaker Imaging by Jeff Bagby". It got my attention years ago – I thought it was excellent. I kept a copy just for my own reference. I just converted it to PDF and attached it below.
R.I.P. too this legend of the diy world . Wish I knew more about him maybe read some of his articles or posts sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Jeff did the calculations for the SDX12 PR enclosure, of which I built two, for my HT.

RIP, Jeff.:(

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Now we have a dumb Texas Lt. governor saying that the over seventies are prepared to jump off the cliff to save the economy. If that were true, I might give it some thought, but that is another Orwellian lie.
For what it's worth, Texas is pretty pissed off at him for saying that. I almost want to make the short drive to Austin just to punch the guy for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis