Rhythmic L12 vs Klipsch SPL 120

• Thread starter FitzwilliamDarcy
  • Start date
F

FitzwilliamDarcy

Enthusiast
Few here would...a well designed sub is a good performer either way. It's mythbuster material....small in a sub is generally a disadvantage performance-wise.
Design being able to adjust for variance of inherent product type limitations is not the same as there not being a difference in the two types of subs. A better response would be, “the ported subs that we are recommending have all been designed to accommodate the response flaws some port subs can produce, so don’t worry about musicality.” That isn’t what you did though. And certainly those differences are not a myth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Design being able to adjust for variance of inherent product type limitations is not the same as there not being a difference in the two types of subs. A better response would be, “the ported subs that we are recommending have all been designed to accommodate the response flaws some port subs can produce, so don’t worry about musicality.” That isn’t what you did though. And certainly those differences are not a myth.
Musicality is just nonsense, tho. What flaws are you referring to? More nonsense like musicality?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There used be a time where ported subs used to be sloppy and boomy but those days are LONG GONE for reputable sub manufacturers. Unfortunately, the audiophiles of the world still propogate that old myth and have never caught up with the times.

I have 2 ported Rythmiks, a LV-12 (rear ported) and a LF-12 (front ported) in my main system..identical subs except ports were moved from back to front. I also own 3 PSB Subsonic6 subs which are also ported in my 2nd system. By listening to them, you would never know they were ported designs. I use them for both music and HT and they sound equally good in both roles.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I can verify I have used both the SVS PB1000 Pro’s in pairs, as well as the SB1000 Pro’s in pairs and my dinosaur Mirage BPS-400’s are both sealed but my pair of Mirage OM-200’s aren’t. Once properly calibrated I’ve never heard an audible difference in terms of my sealed subs being superior for music and ported subs being superior for home theater. Using a MiniDSP 2x4HD I’ve even mixed ported and sealed subs when I had to and again, I had great performance with usable output down to 14hz. That being said I listen to a wide array of material from native Atmos & DTS:X films and games, to two channel and multi channel native music and both my ears and REW confirm there’s no quantifiable difference in performance. Low end extension depending on what subs you’re comparing sure, but never have I listened to say the Beatles Abbey Road in Atmos with sealed subs and than listened with ported and thought they were “slow” or “in accurate” it’s just one of those old audiophile things like 3dB stated that people parrot and come to believe without doing any research.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis