Review: Pioneer Elite A-35R Integrated Amplifier

S

Scoogs

Audiophyte
Has anyone ever looked into replacing the binding posts on the back with some better 5 way binding posts?
I'm thinking about switching them out to something that will handle banana plugs if it isn't too difficult.

Thanks.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone ever looked into replacing the binding posts on the back with some better 5 way binding posts?
I'm thinking about switching them out to something that will handle banana plugs if it isn't too difficult.

Thanks.
The binding posts that are on it don't accept banana plugs? I've yet to see binding posts that don't accept banana plugs. Even if it didn't, it would be easier to make a bare wire connection than to try retrofitting it with new binding posts. There would certainly be no sonic advantage in doing this.

S

Scoogs

Audiophyte
The binding posts that are on it don't accept banana plugs? I've yet to see binding posts that don't accept banana plugs. Even if it didn't, it would be easier to make a bare wire connection than to try retrofitting it with new binding posts. There would certainly be no sonic advantage in doing this.
Oddly enough, none of the banana plugs I have fit the binding posts. They are solid plastic, so I assumed they may never have intended them to be used with them.
I know it won't improve the sound, but I figured it would be worth the change if a retrofit would be fairly easy.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Here are some photos of the Pioneer A-35R Integrated Amplifier. The build quality is pretty good for a 179.00 amp that is stable into 4 ohms. I was impressed with the 4 individual heat sinks and rather large transformer for a 45 watt integrated amp. (65 watts into 4 ohms)

Hi,

This is a little off-topic, but, I was curious on what parameters did you use to take this picture (pretty good picture) and here is what I found in EXIF data.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FX07
Focal Length : 5mm (Is that right??)

If so, you have a lens that can go to a focal length of 5mm? Sorry, if I understood it wrong.

Thank you.

C

cmchen0

Audioholic Intern
Nice pics. It does indeed look like a solid piece of an equipment.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hi,

This is a little off-topic, but, I was curious on what parameters did you use to take this picture (pretty good picture) and here is what I found in EXIF data.

If so, you have a lens that can go to a focal length of 5mm? Sorry, if I understood it wrong.

Thank you.
Wow! How did you know the model of camera ? To be honest I hate the camera. Hard to use. But then again I know nothing about cameras. I just pointed and shot when I took the photos. :)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Wow! How did you know the model of camera ? To be honest I hate the camera. Hard to use. But then again I know nothing about cameras. I just pointed and shot when I took the photos. :)
right click on pic and choose image properties:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

Thank you.
The lense on that camera works in the range of 28mm to 102mm, is it possible it has something to do with the macro setting?

J

johnchabin

Audiophyte
I just got this hooked up in my office (silly me, it's just been sitting unused for ages). I'm using it for a simple amp for my iPhone with a pair of Polk Audio RTi4s. I don't yet see the downside on this one. Sounds great.

I've ordered a '+USB Line Out Dock Cable' and 'Aux to RCA Adapter' from cablejive so I can use the line out on the iphone dock, rather than the mic out. The 'Apple Universal Dock' looks like it might be a good choice, too, but I wanted something more portable (and cheaper). :)

J

johnchabin

Audiophyte
Ok, I got the 'Apple Universal Dock' after all.

This dock allows me to play music (dock line out to amp line in) while charging the phone, and the phone sits upright so I can see who is calling (and the amp automatically mutes). It also comes with a remote, which is nice so I can control the iPhone from my desk.

My bluetooth headset completes the package - if I want to take the call, I just press a button, the music mutes, and I take the call.

And the sound is great. What a deal!

J

jakebot

Enthusiast
My a-35r

I don't know about you guys but i CANNOT get the banana plugs in the terminals. I have used banana plugs before and these won't work. Anybody know what gives?

J

johnchabin

Audiophyte
I'm pretty sure it's not an actual banana plug connection, just a look-alike. I use bare wire.

Stutz320

Stutz320

Junior Audioholic
For a new integrated amp its hard to beat the A-35R. I have one question.
Can you hook a sub woofer to it?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
For a new integrated amp its hard to beat the A-35R. I have one question.
Can you hook a sub woofer to it?
Welcome to the forum!

You can hook up a subwoofer, but not through a dedicated subwoofer output. The A-35R doesn't do bass management. The best approaches available that come to mind are:
  • Connect the A-35R to a subwoofer that has speaker-level inputs/outputs, then connect your speakers to that subwoofer. You would use the crossover control on the subwoofer to set which frequencies are handled by the sub and which are handled by your speakers.
  • Connect a subwoofer with line-level inputs to the A-35R using one of the analog audio outputs on the A-35R (there are two sets available). You would need to work a little harder to get the sub to integrate in with your speakers doing it that way.

Stutz320

Stutz320

Junior Audioholic
WOW that was fast.
Thanks
Not sure I need a sub but it's nice to know that I can if I want to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis