Review of Sony S1500RF Multi System Region Free Blu-Ray Disc DVD Player

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Region codes are a total PETA, that inconvenience so many at the high altar of corporate idiocy.

I like to play discs form the UK. I first used SlySoft but they got driven out of the Antigua and went to Belize and resurfaced as Red Fox. I had a lifetime subscription to SlySoft which eventually Red Fox failed to honor. So I decided to purchase this nice little small footprint and low profile region free BD player.

It installed with the Direct TV Genie in the old space left by the Direct TV HD 20.

Just remember if you buy one of these units do NOT connect it to the Internet or use it for streaming. Otherwise it will get updated and become a North American disc player.

This unit works perfectly and has excellent picture quality.

I had to put my Gefen HDMI switch back in service as my pre/pro only has four HDMI ports. So I used the port my Marantz universal disc player connect to. Now the switcher has the Marantz disc player, the Sony region free player and a ChromeCast device. So that has given me 6 HDMI ports.

So now I can enjoy my favorite comedy series of all time: - Dad's Army.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've seen the region free upgrade kits for Oppo players on ebay. Looks like a pretty simple install too, but I don't know much about them and if they really work, or if a firmware update will kill it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've seen the region free upgrade kits for Oppo players on ebay. Looks like a pretty simple install too, but I don't know much about them and if they really work, or if a firmware update will kill it.
Firmware updates always kill region free players. I did not want to make my Oppo player region free, as I was afraid I might bork it, and also because after that you need to disconnect it from the Internet.

I though the best thing was to buy an inexpensive player and leave it off NET.

N

nusrat

Audiophyte
Can't you avoid unwanted firmware updates by having your router block all contact with certain domains / IP-addresses/ranges?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis