Revel vs SVS Ultra?

G

Genso

Audiophyte
I am looking to upgrade my HT's seven Klipsch Reference Premier speakers, in an effort to seek better clarity & overall sound quality, and wider dispersion. I am considering Revel Concerta2 line or SVS Ultra Tower, Center, and Bookshelves. Thoughts on the performance and trade offs of these two lines? 80 percent gaming, 20 percent movies, and bonus 1 percent music usage. I have a PC4000 sub and Denon X4400H.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
I am looking to upgrade my HT's seven Klipsch Reference Premier speakers, in an effort to seek better clarity & overall sound quality, and wider dispersion. I am considering Revel Concerta2 line or SVS Ultra Tower, Center, and Bookshelves. Thoughts on the performance and trade offs of these two lines? 80 percent gaming, 20 percent movies, and bonus 1 percent music usage. I have a PC4000 sub and Denon X4400H.
I just went from RF62IIs to Kef Q750s and am quite satisfied with the results. It did all of the above, better clarity, wider and deeper sound stage and the ability to play loud without any harshness. The Q series other than the center are currently on sale.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, among those two, all I can say the final decision should be made through a listening test. Both are very respected and rightly so. Having said that, there's a considerable amount of admiration that Revels always get.

If you have the time and will, visit Audio Science Review site and read whichever review of Revel you can find. They perform with flying colours in all tests. Even the most demanding (read: bordering OCD) reviewers are left breathless.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
At this price point, drop the Revel and SVS. Go with the JBL studio 5xx series, especially the Studio 590 towers. Somebody noted that they just put up their 50%off sale as well. So, jump on it. Do you know of a genius grade engineer called Greg Timbers from JBL? He is Andrew Jones's big bro when it comes to good quality sound at an affordable price man.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Of the two you mentioned, the Revel would be my choice. They've got a LOT more science into them on how to get the best sound for the money. Another might be the JBL 590's and 530's, because they're also on sale CHEAP. An up-level to that would be their JBL Synthesis HDI series. Both JBL and Revel are part of the Harman Group of companies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the SVS center design better. I really like the Concerto2 series from Revel though. Maybe the thing to do is to get the Concreto2 speakers and step up to the C208 center. If you can't do that, I would go with the SVS speaker setup. The center speaker is just too important. People really should be using the center to pick their home theater speakers, not the left/right speakers. Another interesting idea might be to use the Infinity Reference RC263 center with the Revel speakers. That looks like a very good 3-way center and it should be a lot like the Revels in voicing.

C

Cain Galata

Enthusiast
I don't have SVS but do have the Revel M16 and they are awesome. Even better then the NHT Classic 3s, which are already excellent. SVS Ultra's should be within those upper tiers.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have SVS but do have the Revel M16 and they are awesome. Even better then the NHT Classic 3s, which are already excellent. SVS Ultra's should be within those upper tiers.
Well, don't be too harsh. SVS is doing some amazing job with a smaller budget. SVS has to achieve results with speakers that will sell for significantly less.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis