Retiring Yamaha RX-V1, Network Receiver, External DAC / Processor, I just don't know!?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont mess around, I think getting this for $2200 CAD is an unreal deal, he said it was going sale on black friday for $2599 CAD.... and I pounced!

I will have to check the tv closer, but before it just slow auto fixed itself in about 15 minutes of use (when I had the tv direct contact via hdmi to my pc). I can tell something is not right with video pass through or something. Ill have to read up on this. At this low volume to be this warm, anyone ever run quiet pc usb fans on these to cool them down?
I tried to fight this off but couldn't resist.. It's not a good deal when if you wait, pretty sure the $1199 or $1249 deal for the SR7013 will be back before Christmas. It may be too late now but if you like the AVR-X6500H that much, you may want to give the sales man a call and tell him you want to return it and wait for better deals on the SR7013 or the AVR-X4500H. I bet he would offer you a few hundred dollars off the X6500H to back you off from returning the unit. For $1000 less, you will NOT notice a difference in sound quality if you take the X4500H home instead also. Sorry if I spoil your initial excitement and I hope the store is nearby.., and you are welcome to ignore this post..

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
He offered the x4500 for $1200....The x6500 is better for me overall even though it is not mathematically as good as a discount. My research suggested the 6500 is better for me than the 7013.

Also I dont agree, the 6500 has more power than 4500 and that can affect sounds quality through demanding speakers. Power supply being larger is a huge difference to me. Even if I really overpaid for the relative small difference. Who knows perhaps I get fancy and go 11.0 someday. This stat is significant between the 6500 vs 4500, and probably the most important difference to me.

Higher Dynamic Power per Channel, 4 Ω, Front)6500
250 W x 2-channel
190 W x 2-channel

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He offered the x4500 for $1200....The x6500 is better for me overall even though it is not mathematically as good as a discount. My research suggested the 6500 is better for me than the 7013.

Also I dont agree, the 6500 has more power than 4500 and that can affect sounds quality through demanding speakers. Power supply being larger is a huge difference to me. Even if I really overpaid for the relative small difference. Who knows perhaps I get fancy and go 11.0 someday. This stat is significant between the 6500 vs 4500, and probably the most important difference to me.

250 W x 2-channel
190 W x 2-channel

All of a 1.2dB difference :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

250 W x 2-channel
190 W x 2-channel

Not sure what you "don't agree with" whatever technical points I have given or quoted you are based on facts and figures from reliable sources and/or my own calculations, not subjective perceptions by some non technical sales reps or internet hearsay.

Given so much internet hearsay these days, I would suggest you at least be more careful with your sources. The power output of the 6500 vs 4500 under any equal condition will be marginal, may be 10% or so.. As hd mentioned even at 250/190, the difference is only 1.2 dB, that's hardly noticeable.

You can also look at some measurements, if not available for the 6500 and 4500, then you can base the numbers on the 6400 and 4400.

Whoever feed you the snake oil info such as 250WX2 and 190WX2 for the two models should be questioned about his/her basis and/or source. That kind of power output gap between the two are simply impossible, if based on an apple to apple comparison.

FYI, the power consumption specs and weight for the 6500 vs 4500 are:

X6500H.............750 W, 32 lbs 3 Oz
X4500H.............710 W, 30 lbs 3 Oz

The 6500 has two more mouths to feed, so you do the math!!

Note that power consumption figures are not standardized or well defined so you can only use them to compare class AB amps by the same manufacturers. Even then, they do not equal power output, but if the difference between the two (6500 vs 4500) is only 5.6 % increase, you can expect similar % increase in output power on the 6500.

What is not disputable is that the 6500 is made in Japan, and has two more amp channels. My only point is that paying $2,200 for one is not very....., but it's your money, I am just giving you some food for thoughts based on my many years of experience spending too much money in this hobby.

I predict the X6500H will drop to $1,399 to $1,799 (at the very most) between now the Christmas (or may be Jan2/3..). Think about this, it has the same list price as the Marantz SR7013, and both Bestbuy.ca and Amazon.ca had the 7013 down to $1249 and $1199 twice already in the past 6 months.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I should add that if you really want to have some extra headroom whether you need it or not, the $1000 saving by going with the 4500 or 7013 (yes that one you may have to wait for the sale to return),can be better spent on a 3 channel real power amp such as Monolith's.

Bench test results comparison (Audiovision.de):

1573313699922.png

1573313748469.png

Last edited:
A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Not sure what you "don't agree with" whatever technical points I have given or quoted you are based on facts and figures from reliable sources and/or my own calculations, not subjective perceptions by some non technical sales reps or internet hearsay.

Given so much internet hearsay these days, I would suggest you at least be more careful with your sources. The power output of the 6500 vs 4500 under any equal condition will be marginal, may be 10% or so.. As hd mentioned even at 250/190, the difference is only 1.2 dB, that's hardly noticeable.

You can also look at some measurements, if not available for the 6500 and 4500, then you can base the numbers on the 6400 and 4400.

Whoever feed you the snake oil info such as 250WX2 and 190WX2 for the two models should be questioned about his/her basis and/or source. That kind of power output gap between the two are simply impossible, if based on an apple to apple comparison.

FYI, the power consumption specs and weight for the 6500 vs 4500 are:

X6500H.............750 W, 32 lbs 3 Oz
X4500H.............710 W, 30 lbs 3 Oz

The 6500 has two more mouths to feed, so you do the math!!

Note that power consumption figures are not standardized or well defined so you can only use them to compare class AB amps by the same manufacturers. Even then, they do not equal power output, but if the difference between the two (6500 vs 4500) is only 5.6 % increase, you can expect similar % increase in output power on the 6500.

What is not disputable is that the 6500 is made in Japan, and has two more amp channels. My only point is that paying $2,200 for one is not very....., but it's your money, I am just giving you some food for thoughts based on my many years of experience spending too much money in this hobby.

I predict the X6500H will drop to $1,399 to $1,799 (at the very most) between now the Christmas (or may be Jan2/3..). Think about this, it has the same list price as the Marantz SR7013, and both Bestbuy.ca and Amazon.ca had the 7013 down to $1249 and $1199 twice already in the past 6 months.
"Whoever feed you the snake oil info such as 250WX2 and 190WX2 for the two models should be questioned about his/her basis and/or source. "

this is from DENON! their website! do your research!
And I like this avr, and I can afford any power amp I want later.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
"Whoever feed you the snake oil info such as 250WX2 and 190WX2 for the two models should be questioned about his/her basis and/or source. "

Probably not a good idea to go down this road. The manufacturer as well as salespeople have a financial stake. 3rd party measurements are the gold standard to root out the marketing BS. Next time you want to tell a seasoned person to do research, maybe take your own advice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I seriously doubt you can do research as well as @PENG .... he's even found mis-info on the manufacturer's websites....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I seriously doubt you can do research as well as @PENG .... he's even found mis-info on the manufacturer's websites....
He took the info from Denon literally so I wouldn't even consider that much of a research, as the info are in the easily downloadable owners manuals. When it comes to "dynamic output", you and I both know it can be all over the place. It would be nice if manufacturers (iirc NAD does) actually specify the standards (IHF, CEA etc..) they based such ratings on. No doubt the 6500 is better than 4500, like the 8500 is better than the 6500, I did my part to let him know some deep discounts may/should be coming soon and that the difference in power output is marginal. As you mentioned it was only 1.2 dB even in terms of the so called dynamic output figures that have not been verified by any bench measurements past or present that I could find.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis