Retiring Yamaha RX-V1, Network Receiver, External DAC / Processor, I just don't know!?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont see those prices ive check amazon/bestbuy/visions .ca,

Wait? omg please no!!!!!! :eek:
I said it was less than a month ago, the sale ended on Oct 12 2019.

And I am saying that because it happened twice in the past several months so I bet it will be back. I posted the link in two different thread, too bad you still miss it.

Also, keep an eye on the redflagdeals.com, those guys typically don't miss such good deals.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I just called visions and said 1199 for Denon X4500 and he was like ahhhhhhhhhh
ok man
Im going to get in right now

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
The guys at visoins was a good salesmen! I ended up with the x6500h for $2200 CAD!!!
UNREAL!!!

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
The sound is unreal. Just on 2ch with the new TOOL album so far. No question the sound change is drastic from my very temporary method of using my PC sounds card as a preamp. I cant really test this until I move to my house soon as im in an apartment.

One thing I notice right away: The screen does not fit on my LGC8 55" oled, I have screen cut off of about a 1/3 inch on each side and top/bottom of tv. Also I can see yellowish spots in the text as I pull up foobar....never saw that when my pc was direct connect my tv (Im using my pc direct connect via HDMI to the AVR)

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
It sure warms up considering my driving only 2 lsim707 at very average low "apartment level" volume...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dang you didn't waste any time picking that up! :) Doesn't your tv have a way to adjust the picture for fit? I can't say I've ever seen yellowish spots when using foobar, even when I display it on my tv....which I don't usually do....I stream foobar wirelessly most of the time.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I dont mess around, I think getting this for $2200 CAD is an unreal deal, he said it was going sale on black friday for $2599 CAD.... and I pounced!

I will have to check the tv closer, but before it just slow auto fixed itself in about 15 minutes of use (when I had the tv direct contact via hdmi to my pc). I can tell something is not right with video pass through or something. Ill have to read up on this. At this low volume to be this warm, anyone ever run quiet pc usb fans on these to cool them down?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont mess around, I think getting this for $2200 CAD is an unreal deal, he said it was going sale on black friday for $2599 CAD.... and I pounced!

I will have to check the tv closer, but before it just slow auto fixed itself in about 15 minutes of use (when I had the tv direct contact via hdmi to my pc). I can tell something is not right with video pass through or something. Ill have to read up on this. At this low volume to be this warm, anyone ever run quiet pc usb fans on these to cool them down?
Does seem like a good deal, was just ribbing you earlier with the optimistic comment ;) Auto fix? Nice. Turn off the video processing in the avr would be my suggestion.

Yes, many of us use an active cooling solution to the avr running warm thing....

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Hahaha, yea literally I hooked up my pc to my lg oled. the screen size and position were messed up,,,,, slowly it just auto adjusted ! for real

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
It is interesting, the amp "design" must be much differnt....
my Emotiva UPA-2 power amp does not even warm up unless im at eviction volume levels in my apartment. This baby is HOT at low volumes....Id feel much better with one of those super low db pc fans on this.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is interesting, the amp "design" must be much differnt....
my Emotiva UPA-2 power amp does not even warm up unless im at eviction volume levels in my apartment. This baby is HOT at low volumes....Id feel much better with one of those super low db pc fans on this.....
Probably a difference in heat sinking. I use one of these at minimum setting on my 4520 even tho it doesn't run all that warm but I have it on a shelf with minimal clearance above it....

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I turn ov
Probably a difference in heat sinking. I use one of these at minimum setting on my 4520 even tho it doesn't run all that warm but I have it on a shelf with minimal clearance above it....
Yea good point, I see almost 2.5x the amount of heat sink in the UPA-2

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
You happy with how quiet the fan is? I dont know how loud 19db is(in the specs)....I kinda forget, but I know the fan I put on my pc processor is hard to hear in a silent room unless you have your ear within 1 foot of it....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You happy with how quiet the fan is? I dont know how loud 19db is(in the specs)....I kinda forget, but I know the fan I put on my pc processor is hard to hear in a silent room unless you have your ear within 1 foot of it....
At the minimum speed setting it's relatively silent even with ear up to avr (and have used one of their others as well but no speed control and that was a bit louder, why I changed it out).

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
So blue jeans cable? Ive been using home dept cables with no banana plugs for way too long....o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So blue jeans cable? Ive been using home dept cables with no banana plugs for way too long....o_O
I just buy 12g in bulk and attach my own banana plugs....nothing wrong with home depot as long as it's at least ETF copper and of proper gauge for the length/impedance involved.....maybe just pop some bananas on there!

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
yea these cables are old, I like the idea of using basic 12g and banana plugs too, and perhaps just change out cables every 5 years or so.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yea these cables are old, I like the idea of using basic 12g and banana plugs too, and perhaps just change out cables every 5 years or so.....
Why only 5 years? They don't expire....

Now if you want pretty, there are ways of gussying up your cables with tech flex and heat shrink and other goodies....

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
all I know is my 7 year old cables look a different color than when they were new suggesting oxidation perhaps, no idea on if this effects sounds/.... just a guess

ETF? I assume this is fine "

AmazonBasics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 100 Feet
"

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
all I know is my 7 year old cables look a different color than when they were new suggesting oxidation perhaps, no idea on if this effects sounds/.... just a guess

ETF? I assume this is fine "

AmazonBasics 12-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 100 Feet
"
Some dielectrics did react poorly over time....not usually an issue I think. Mostly you just don't want to buy CCA (copper clad aluminum)....

From the wiki on oxygen free copper:
Oxygen-free copper is typically specified according to the ASTM/UNS database.[3] The UNS database includes many different compositions of high conductivity electrical copper. Of these three are widely used and two are considered oxygen-free.

• C10100 - also known as Oxygen-Free Electronic (OFE). This is a 99.99% pure copper with 0.0005% oxygen content. It achieves a minimum 101% IACS conductivity rating. This copper is finished to a final form in a carefully regulated, oxygen-free environment. Silver (Ag) is considered an impurity in the OFE chemical specification. This is also the most expensive of the three grades listed here.
  • C10200 - also known as Oxygen-Free (OF). While OF is considered oxygen-free, its conductivity rating is no better than the more common ETP grade below. It has a 0.001% oxygen content, 99.95% purity and minimum 100% IACS conductivity. For the purposes of purity percentage, silver (Ag) content is counted as copper (Cu).
  • C11000 - also known as Electrolytic-Tough-Pitch (ETP). This is the most common copper. It is universal for electrical applications. ETP has a minimum conductivity rating of 100% IACS and is required to be 99.9% pure. It has 0.02% to 0.04% oxygen content (typical). Most ETP sold today will meet or exceed the 101% IACS specification. As with OF copper, silver (Ag) content is counted as copper (Cu) for purity purposes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis