Resident Evil: Afterlife (new thread)

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
The other ones either were about the film release, had spoilers, and/or had a rambling review (heh, sorry).

Movie:
If your a Resident Evil fan, you'll tolerate this installment. It's fun if you like movies about the undead featuring a sexy heroine. It isn't intelligent, it doesn't really make you think, but it's entertaining. There are a few really cool 'bad undead zombie things' and use of weapons. And, ugh, that's it.

Some of the special effects were great, but a few things looked a little cheese too me (like some control screens in one of the first scenes looked like the printed cardboard they probably were) - it was a little strange to see some things look so good and then them pass over some simple things. Also, it ganks some trendy (borderline dated) effects, some where you'll say 'Oh, I saw this in [insert movie here]'

The writing is a bit cheese, but, yeah, that's how these are.
Costume design is great for Milla, but I don't think Milla would have it any other way....the other characters weren't so good in that department.

Picture:
The 2.31:1 transfer is great, very sharp, vibrant color. I noticed a few spots the blacks looked a little grainy, but then other scenes they were perfect. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps a higher ISO used in those particular scenes? Overall the picture is excellent.

Sound:
Holy moly. Crank this one up. If your borderline on renting it, let the audio track persuade you. It's crisp, clear, gritty, chunky, thick and is best served cranked. The soundstage is immersive, the explosions are chest pounding, the dialog is clear.

Overall:
Worth a rental if your into these kind of movies, but don't expect to be moved. It's a great demonstration disc.

7/10 ... Nearly a 6, but a 6 is a little harsh for something that kept me entertained for the whole ride.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I thought this one was easily better than the last one, and on par with the first. ANYTHING is better than the second one :) Yep, don't expect much in the way of depth here, but I enjoyed it. Good popcorn action/horror flick.

Was waiting for the price to drop, which it did today so I just ordered it off Amazon for $16.99.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought the previous RE was much better and a lot more exciting.

I still like RE Afterlife, like all the other RE films, but RE Apocalypse was the best for me.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I still like RE Afterlife, like all the other RE films, but RE Apocalypse was the best for me.
I agree with that, Apocalypse was the best followed by Extinction then more or less a tie between the original and Afterlife. Seems like the last one relied too much on the 3D/matrix type effects to carry it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with that, Apocalypse was the best followed by Extinction then more or less a tie between the original and Afterlife. Seems like the last one relied too much on the 3D/matrix type effects to carry it.
Did you see it in 3D? They did a really good job of not overdoing it and it worked quite well in the theater. I haven't watched it yet at home, but I am guessing this one won't translate as well in 2D.

Apocalypse the best? Apocalypse was utterly retarded. It should never have been made.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Never saw it in 3D, rented the Bluray last week so I guess it did lose something in 2D.

Apocalypse also has the best (most cheezy) one liners, like "Stars". :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched it this weekend and it definitley loses some of the fun factor when not viewed in 3D.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I am renting it tonight and will post my thoughts.........:eek:

B

BWG707

Audioholic
I rank this one at the bottom. It wasn't anything special at all, except maybe the audio. The story was weak and the CGI was weak. The same old zombie scenes that have been done to death. There really wasn't much to this movie at all. Definitely a rental, even with the good audio track.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I watched this last night and thought the story was kind of weak, but the picture was great, the audio was even better, it was loud, immersive, and very aggressive. It's definitely worth a rent, but I wouldn't buy it, unless you are a huge fan of the series and want to own them all.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
The 3D Blu Ray disk is well done as far a 3D effects go. It seemed like quite a few concepts were taken from the Matrix series, as opposed to being original.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 3D Blu Ray disk is well done as far a 3D effects go. It seemed like quite a few concepts were taken from the Matrix series, as opposed to being original.
More of them than not seem to be doing that lately. I thought this one was done well in 3D. Not too over the top. The scene in the rain at the beginning and the lights under water in particular were cool.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with you 100%.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Resident Evil (2002) - I thought was good
RE Apocalypse (2004) - I thought was great, tied with Extinction
RE Extinction (2007)
RE Afterlife (2010) - I thought was good tied with the first RE

I have all four.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com