Requesting subwoofer advice with a maximum budget of $300

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I got a suspicion that we all collectively wasting our breath, but I hope I uncovered few things which were educating.

afterlife, I don't doubt that NAX-BAS-500 is a reasonably powerful sub, especially for HT. It has very little to now the lower end of extension, but it does nicely from 40 to 80 and there are a lot of content in that range two. My biggest gripe with that sub is would be simply a disaster for music. I know it's a lot to ask solid ht and music performance out of $300 sub, but it's not completely impossible.
Why would it be a disaster for music? It's a sealed sub so without EQ this is a very typical response. The reviewer didn't disable the low-pass filter either. The graph is compressed in a way that makes the sub look worse than it really is IMO. I doubt the Dayton has any real advantage unless we are talking your DIY kit which is not something for the OP to really be taking on IMO.

We are talking about a cheap sub. A decent sub driver costs almost as much as the sub itself. Even so it's still probably the best sub the OP has ever owned.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Why would it be a disaster for music? It's a sealed sub so without EQ this is a very typical response.
The NXG is definitely not a disaster for music. Quite the contrary actually; it's surprisingly good with music.

One correction though... it's a bass reflex design. The port fires to the rear.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was under the impression that you can not (or should not) EQ ported subs?

We can argue the performance of this sub or another, but in the end TLS is right. This is just another example of race to the bottom. Cheap sub with a cheap sub performance curves.

NGX is now $260 on amazon and it will be hard to find anything decent at this price anyhow... (without DIY ofcourse, since Jinjuku's Infinity

If OP plans to purchase Pioneer towers, I would advice to hold off the sub purchase until more funds available and get a more fitting sub for his very large space.

but Like I said before I got a feeling we all wasting our breath here...

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Another sub that was brought to my attention was the Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer and I was able to get a decent price from Sound Distributors. What are the thoughts on this one? I am not a purist just trying to create what most of you would call an entry level system that to me will be one of the few systems I ever own. Last system was an Onkyo HTIB system in early 2000's and I haven't had anything since as my next house did not have a decent set up to run a system without exposed wires, etc.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Skip the rear surrounds and get your subwoofer budget up to $500, and things will get a lot easier.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Skip the rear surrounds and get your subwoofer budget up to $500, and things will get a lot easier.
+1 this. Agreed. I would much rather have a good sub and no surrounds than surrounds and a cheapo sub.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Ok Guys sounds like you are pushing a 3.1 system then. So if my speaker budget where $1000 - $1200 then what would you recommend. I only have $1500 to spend and I was looking to spend $400 on 7.1 AVR so that I could upgrade in the future as I have all wires run in my new room.

Thanks

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Ok Guys sounds like you are pushing a 3.1 system then. So if my speaker budget where $1000 - $1200 then what would you recommend. I only have $1500 to spend and I was looking to spend $400 on 7.1 AVR so that I could upgrade in the future as I have all wires run in my new room.

Thanks
Why not get a sub later too? You could get better speakers than the pioneers. :D

A pair of Song Birds happens to be 1500. :D

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Given my budget what about going with two of the Pioneer Andrew Jones subwoofers that are getting great reviews over on Amazon?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Amazon user reviews for audio equipment seem by and large to be overenthusiastic writings from the underexperienced. The Andrew Jones sub seems to be very good for the price point - but the price point is SUPER CHEAP. This is the wrong direction to be moving.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Was able to raise the budget as I just got a great deal on my new receiver. Based on my room size (24' x 15' x 8') I have now narrowed it down to these subs:

HSU STF-2
OSD PS-12
SVS PB-1000 Really pushing my budget at $500 so the first two kept under $425 are more like it.

The OSD PS-12 can be had for $299 so I am starting to lean towards that one.

Advice is appreciated.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Was able to raise the budget as I just got a great deal on my new receiver. Based on my room size (24' x 15' x 8') I have now narrowed it down to these subs:

HSU STF-2
OSD PS-12
SVS PB-1000 Really pushing my budget at $500 so the first two kept under $425 are more like it.

The OSD PS-12 can be had for $299 so I am starting to lean towards that one.
I reviewed the OSD PS-10 and found it to be a pretty solid value, so I imagine the PS-12 is more of the same. However, in a room that size I'd go straight to the PB-1000. I reviewed that unit as well, and personally I think it would work better given your situation.

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Jim,

What about going with a single BIC F-12 to start with and maybe at Christmas time adding a second F-12? If one adds a second sub should they add the exact same model or can subs be mixed much like fronts, centers and surrounds?

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Jim,

What about going with a single BIC F-12 to start with and maybe at Christmas time adding a second F-12? If one adds a second sub should they add the exact same model or can subs be mixed much like fronts, centers and surrounds?

Thanks
If the intent is to get better response, they should be identical. Two subs that don't have the same in-room response will not smooth anything out.

Fronts and center should NOT be mixed either.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
If the intent is to get better response, they should be identical. Two subs that don't have the same in-room response will not smooth anything out.

Fronts and center should NOT be mixed either.
+1

That pretty much sums it up; get the same subs, and never mix the front 3.

If you're still open to other options a few potential choices are the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the BIC PL-200. The former is a very good value, one I was quite impressed with, while the latter can be had for a 15% discount if you use the code TV15. Both are pretty solid subwoofers for the money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis