Requesting subwoofer advice with a maximum budget of $300

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
I am setting up a new home theater system and would like some recommendations on what subwoofer to purchase. I would like to spend no more than $275 on the subwoofer. I will probably pair the sub with the Pioneer Andrew Jones FS-52's and the Andrew Jones center speaker, but have not decided on the rear surrounds yet. System will start off as a 5.1 system, but wiring is in place for 7.1. The room size is approximately 15' x 24', but opens up to another area. However the two rooms are broken up by a basement soffit so the 15' x 24' area with a 8' ceiling is more like a tunnel and is where the theater is located.

Main listening will be movies and tv (sports) with occasional internet radio / pandora / etc.

These are the subs I am looking at that fit my budget:

Acoustech H-100 Cinema Series 500-Watt Front-Firing Subwoofer, High-Gloss Black by BIC
BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer
Klipsch SW350 subwoofer
Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12-Inch 300-Watt Subwoofer with High Gloss Trim
Klipsch SW-450 10-Inch 450watt Subwoofer (Black)

What are the forum's thoughts on these models?

Appreciate any advice provided. Thanks

Last edited:
A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunately I only ran one subwoofer in the wall when I finished the room. Is there a way around this to hook up 2 subs? If you go with 2 subs do you place them side by side?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately I only ran one subwoofer in the wall when I finished the room. Is there a way around this to hook up 2 subs?
Absolutely. You can use an RCA y-splitter to handle that (example shown below, and those are really inexpensive, like ~$1). You can also get wireless systems that will transmit the signal to another sub, but those are kind of pricey (>$100).

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can place them side by side and use a splitter, or run another sub cable or a wireless adapter. I know a lot of people say placement is key, but Im not sitting on top of a subwoofer or remodeling my house to put it in the best audible location, I put it where the wire is and where the furniture dictates, comfort, aesthetics, and then sound quality for me especially when it comes to home theater...

adam beat me to it

Last edited:
A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
Thanks... So you just use the splitter and then place them side by side? I am a complete novice to all of this and just trying to create a nice theater environment. Not outstanding, just nice for wife and kids.

I have added one more

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks... So you just use the splitter and then place them side by side? I am a complete novice to all of this and just trying to create a nice theater environment. Not outstanding, just nice for wife and kids.

I have added one more

definitely not....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Did he return them and get another pair? Weird they make some good stuff. I love the NXG 4.1's and Center they're so good, too bad they got discontinued:(, I would have gotten another pair for surrounds. I might consider those TEAC LS-H265 since they look about the same size and look about the same.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I know they sent him what ever parts and then charged him for them because he didnt send the old parts back at his expense and it was a big hassle, but I can not remember what the problem was, I remember 1 broke down and the shortly after the other, before he even got the new parts for the first one.. I know he finally got it all worked out, and sold them shortly after... I heard one of them not both at the same time, but I know he has 2 martin logan subs now and says they are 100% better {not sure which martins, but he bought them on demo for $700 the pair...

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I can't speak to the parts/reliability issues others may or may not have had, but I can attest to the fact that the NX-BAS-500 goes into the mid-20's with solid output. Based upon my experience, the port tune is around 28Hz. Room gain will provide another 2-3Hz for most. It's definitely worth considering in the $300 range.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a suspicion that we all collectively wasting our breath, but I hope I uncovered few things which were educating.

afterlife, I don't doubt that NAX-BAS-500 is a reasonably powerful sub, especially for HT. It has very little to now the lower end of extension, but it does nicely from 40 to 80 and there are a lot of content in that range two. My biggest gripe with that sub is would be simply a disaster for music. I know it's a lot to ask solid ht and music performance out of $300 sub, but it's not completely impossible.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So you think the Dayton will handle both Music/HT?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis