N

nick p

Enthusiast
I want to buy the Marantz SR6014 receiver . I am being told they are not very reliable and I should buy a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. Any suggestions ? Please help.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamahas is probably the most reliable brand out there. The 3 out of the 4 that I use have been purchased used and have been trouble free. The 4th unit I had bought new has also been trouble free but I gave it to my son inlaw to use. Its working fine too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@M Code has been saying for years that Yamaha is #1 in reliability and HDMI compatibility.

I recently switched from being a very long-time Denon/Marantz user to Yamaha because I wanted to see if Yamaha is #1 in reliability.

Well, alright, I've had some bad experiences with D/M and especially their repair services - Panurgy (they SUCK).

The very last straw for me was when Panurgy could NOT repair my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI - not once, but TWICE. And this was under 100% Best Buy Store Warranty!

I've only been a Yamaha user for 2 years now. But so far, my impression:

1. My Yamaha CX-A5100, MX-A5000, and RX-A3080 operate so much COOLER than ANY Denon/Marantz I've ever used in my life.

2. The Yamaha WiFi remote app works 100% better to me than the DM remote app.

3. HDMI has been more reliable to me with the Yamaha.

4. WiFi Music Streaming has been more reliable to me with the Yamaha.

5. Yamaha will PAY for shipping BOTH ways for any warranty services - Brand New & Refurbished via Authorized Dealers.

6. D/M use Panurgy repair service in New Jersey as their MAIN center. You have to pay for shipping to them even under warranty if your local D/M repair shops cannot repair your component (if you have a local D/C repair shop). I wouldn't touch Panurgy with a 10ft pole based on my multiple experiences with them.

So with only 2 years experience with Yamaha, I can't say much about long-term reliability, although the MUCH COOLER operating temperature might be ONE indicator.

BTW, I used THREE 120mm fans on my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI. Still broke after about 8 years. So there goes the hypothesis about how using FANS (THREE 120mm fans) should extend reliability.

But.....there are people who have NEVER had any issues with Denon or Marantz products. BTW, most of us group Denon and Marantz together. They are under the "D/M" group now owned by Sound United.

As an authorized dealer for both Yamaha and Denon/Marantz, I truly hope that Sound United will FIRE Panurgy and (please for the love of gods) use somebody else much better than sorry Panurgy.

D/M does have the very awesome Audyssey Editor App (which is NOT free and SHOULD be FREE). This app is great for people who love to use EQ for their sound.

So Sound United - please FIRE Panurgy, make the Editor App FREE FREE FREE with all D/M users, and give all D/M users Free Shipping BOTH WAYs for Warranty service like YAMAHA. :D

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
My Denon is 15 Years Old and going Strong.

Does Yamaha have a Repair/Service department? Then they too Break Down.

Many people say Toyota is the Most Reliable. Walk past any Service Department and every Bay is full of Toyota's being Fixed. Hmmmmm

B

banks

Audiophyte
I want to buy the Marantz SR6014 receiver . I am being told they are not very reliable and I should buy a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. Any suggestions ? Please help.
Both are great receivers I own both I have a Marantz 7008 that is 4 years old and it was a refurb. That being said I have a new Yahama 3080 and so far so good,I also have a 12 year old Yahama that has never missed a beat.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Both are great receivers I own both I have a Marantz 7008 that is 4 years old and it was a refurb. That being said I have a new Yahama 3080 and so far so good,I also have a 12 year old Yahama that has never missed a beat.
It seems most people are into one brand or the other. Both of us have used both brands.

Have you compared them in terms of WiFi Remote Apps, WiFi Music Streaming, HDMI Compatibility, Room Correction, EQ, etc.?

I hate all Auto-EQ software. But when comparing them, I think Audyssey is less OFFENSIVE to me. All the Yamaha YPAO auto EQ curves (Flat, Natural, etc.) sound bad to me. Thank goodness for the Yamaha Manual Parametric EQ. :D

I think Yamaha has no business doing Auto-EQ or DSP- I hate the millions of DSP modes Yamaha has.

So far I love Yamaha more than DM, but it is definitely not for Yamaha's Auto-EQ or DSP modes. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It seems most people are into one brand or the other. Both of us have used both brands.

Have you compared them in terms of WiFi Remote Apps, WiFi Music Streaming, HDMI Compatibility, Room Correction, EQ, etc.?

I hate all Auto-EQ software. But when comparing them, I think Audyssey is less OFFENSIVE to me. All the Yamaha YPAO auto EQ curves (Flat, Natural, etc.) sound bad to me. Thank goodness for the Yamaha Manual Parametric EQ. :D

I think Yamaha has no business doing Auto-EQ or DSP- I hate the millions of DSP modes Yamaha has.

So far I love Yamaha more than DM, but it is definitely not for Yamaha's Auto-EQ or DSP modes. :D
I totally agree with that. Yamaha can keep all those DSP modes. They are useless, and they suck. As far as auto EQ, I ran it and tweaked the levels, and the subwoofer trim. But after lots of listening I have decided on the "through" mode with no EQ. I don't feel like I know enough about what changing the Q and gain for each frequency will do to the sound, so I don't mess with the manual EQ. But other than that so far so good with my 3060. And I've had it maybe three and a half to four years now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I totally agree with that. Yamaha can keep all those DSP modes. They are useless, and they suck. As far as auto EQ, I ran it and tweaked the levels, and the subwoofer trim. But after lots of listening I have decided on the "through" mode with no EQ. I don't feel like I know enough about what changing the Q and gain for each frequency will do to the sound, so I don't mess with the manual EQ. But other than that so far so good with my 3060. And I've had it maybe three and a half to four years now.
I use the manual PEQ only for the subwoofers in the 30Hz-100Hz region - the bass that we can easily hear the difference. I always use Q=0.5 since it's supposed to be "cleaner". If I don't boost the 30, 40, 60, 80 frequencies a few dBs, then I don't get that Slamming Freight-Train-from-Hell Impact. :D

But I don't mess with EQ on anything else except for the 2 subs. This applies to all Auto-EQ I've ever listened to.

B

banks

Audiophyte

Yahama has the best apps Musicast is a lot better than heos. on the Marantz, I agree bout the dsp modes .I do think Audyssey is better than yapo, but with a little tweeking The yahama sounds just as good as my Marantz,You really cant go wrong with either one. The biggest thing about getting them to last a long time is to keep the heat down.The Yahama runs a lot cooler, I bought a AC INFINITY fan to keep the Marantz cool.I do think Audyssey manage the subs better but I love the Yahama .

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I use the manual PEQ only for the subwoofers in the 30Hz-100Hz region - the bass that we can easily hear the difference. I always use Q=0.5 since it's supposed to be "cleaner". If I don't boost the 30, 40, 60, 80 frequencies a few dBs, then I don't get that Slamming Freight-Train-from-Hell Impact. :D

But I don't mess with EQ on anything else except for the 2 subs. This applies to all Auto-EQ I've ever listened to.
Slamming freight train from hell impact, LOL! I like that. Very informative though, 0.5 for the Q in those bass frequencies? I'll try that. I've never used REW, but I feel like I could possibly squeeze a little bit more performance out of my Rythmik sub.

Some music I listen to has tight clean bass , other music has, how can I say a thicker sounding bass. And then when I listen to Hendrix, there's not much bass at all. But I guess a lot of that just depends on the source maybe?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Slamming freight train from hell impact, LOL! I like that. Very informative though, 0.5 for the Q in those bass frequencies? I'll try that. I've never used REW, but I feel like I could possibly squeeze a little bit more performance out of my Rythmik sub.

Some music I listen to has tight clean bass , other music has, how can I say a thicker sounding bass. And then when I listen to Hendrix, there's not much bass at all. But I guess a lot of that just depends on the source maybe?
Most old rock never really had good low end bass, take RUSH not much at all, was spinning RUSH just yesterday was like, where's the bass! lot's of mid bass ton of Treble. On my Yamahas, I use "Through" mode also. Sometimes I use the "Enhancer" for some music I find it helps out on the lowend for some Sources with not a lot of bass. DSP modes, yeah Yamaha should do away with all those. Don't use the Manual EQ settings. My old Yamaha TSR-7790 came out in 2015, I go it Refurbished back in 2017 still going strong it's in my bedroom now. The Denon unit I'd like to try out would be the 3600 or the 4500. Those two where in my top 3, I went with Yamahas a1080, I've had 3 avr's crap out on me before, a H/K 3600 and two Onkyo 818. All had issues with HDMI.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
I have the SR6014 and have had no issues with heat or any other hardware/software related issues. I do not keep it in a cabinet nor do I have fans on it. It is on top of a stand with all of my other components under it with the amp at the bottom. I do use the pre-outs and have pushed the system a bit with sustained reference level listening but not to extremes of maxing the volume. I can say that my setup is considerably cooler than the demo unit at Best Buy. Letting the system breathe is key.

@little wing I would definitely say the source has a major impact on the bass and sound quality in general. The quality of the recording and how they laid the tracks will have great impact. The source it is coming from can affect the quality as well such as if it is being streamed over blue tooth from your phone vs HD streaming service on a high speed Wifi connection.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have the SR6014 and have had no issues with heat or any other hardware/software related issues. I do not keep it in a cabinet nor do I have fans on it. It is on top of a stand with all of my other components under it with the amp at the bottom. I do use the pre-outs and have pushed the system a bit with sustained reference level listening but not to extremes of maxing the volume. I can say that my setup is considerably cooler than the demo unit at Best Buy. Letting the system breathe is key.

@little wing I would definitely say the source has a major impact on the bass and sound quality in general. The quality of the recording and how they laid the tracks will have great impact. The source it is coming from can affect the quality as well such as if it is being streamed over blue tooth from your phone vs HD streaming service on a high speed Wifi connection.
Yeah that 6014 is a very nice AVR, like Yamaha, Marantz doesn't Discount much. If you go on Accessories4less you'll see just as many Refurbished units of Yamaha as the other's. I do believe the old HDMI Problem is a thing of the past.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think most of it depends on the source.

As for REW measurements, I think it's only helpful if there is something "WRONG" with your system's sound and you just can't figure out why that is.

But if you're just wanting more slamming hitting impactful bass, you can easily hear the before-and-after difference immediately when you boost those frequencies 30-100Hz. You can boost 0.5dB or 1.0dB at a time and see. Q=0.5 is good. I think some people consider Q=1.0 or higher as "muddy/boomy" bass. :D

For me, if I keep the Frequency Response Curve FLAT/Linear and not boost those bass frequencies, the bass is just not super. It's good, but not awesome.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, can't go wrong with both. I've had many brands of AVR over the years and I've only had one break on me and that was Onkyo, it was also a known issue repaired for free.

I'm currently using Denon and the Onkyo that was repaired and have no complaints. The Denon in the theater runs pretty cool and have had zero issues.

To be fair to Yamaha, everything they make is good (in my experience). Doesn't even matter what product line.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yahama has the best apps Musicast is a lot better than heos. on the Marantz, I agree bout the dsp modes .I do think Audyssey is better than yapo, but with a little tweeking The yahama sounds just as good as my Marantz,You really cant go wrong with either one. The biggest thing about getting them to last a long time is to keep the heat down.The Yahama runs a lot cooler, I bought a AC INFINITY fan to keep the Marantz cool.I do think Audyssey manage the subs better but I love the Yahama .
None of my DM products had HEOS back then, so I never used HEOS. But I have compared AirPlay between the Denon vs Yamaha. And I absolutely love the Yamaha MusicCast.

Yamaha AirPlay is also super cool. My daughter was listening to some Vivaldi (Winter from 4 Seasons) on YouTube on her iPhone. She has NEVER used AirPlay. But I simply told her, "Stream your iPhone music to AirPlay". She pressed a few things on her iPhone, and seconds later I hear Vivaldi's 4 Seasons on my Sound System. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Most old rock never really had good low end bass, take RUSH not much at all, was spinning RUSH just yesterday was like, where's the bass! lot's of mid bass ton of Treble. On my Yamahas, I use "Through" mode also. Sometimes I use the "Enhancer" for some music I find it helps out on the lowend for some Sources with not a lot of bass. DSP modes, yeah Yamaha should do away with all those. Don't use the Manual EQ settings. My old Yamaha TSR-7790 came out in 2015, I go it Refurbished back in 2017 still going strong it's in my bedroom now. The Denon unit I'd like to try out would be the 3600 or the 4500. Those two where in my top 3, I went with Yamahas a1080, I've had 3 avr's crap out on me before, a H/K 3600 and two Onkyo 818. All had issues with HDMI.
I love those old groups like Yes Rush and The Police. And you're absolutely right, if you look at the bands and what they played there's just not a lot of base energy there. And you're right on point about the Yamaha enhancer mode. I hear an improvement with all sources so I just leave it on all the time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To be fair to Yamaha, everything they make is good (in my experience). Doesn't even matter what product line.
I confess that is also a huge reason I love Yamaha.

Would love to own a Yamaha Grand Piano one day. And if I ever win the lottery, add the Yamaha Yacht and Supercar to the list. :D

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
Owned several motorcycles over the years including Harley, Honda and Yamaha and my 2006 Yamaha custom Stratoliner was by far my favorite. I loved that comfortable old road sofa :cool:. Tried to add a pic but apparently a 1.47mb JPG is to big.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis