Reinvent older sealed sub box, help?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes Tympany holds the rights to produce Vifa drivers. Parts express and others carry them. The xt25 tweeter still gets a lot love.

annunaki

annunaki

Many commercially available pre-assembled subwoofers have some level of signal processing built into the amplifier to help with low end response. What that means is while you like the SB1000 performance that enclosure/amp combo has been optimized for that woofer.
We are simply trying to help you do the same. If you put a RSS315HF into a sealed enclosure at 1.7ft^3. It will do ok. Just don’t expect a lot real deep bass due to the higher f3. You may want to consider adding an infrasonic filter to protect from over excursion if you go that route.
It would probably outperform the M&K since you have a couple decades of driver improvement in the Dayton.

Edit: I made this post prior to seeing you had committed to the SB. I think you will be really happy with that route!

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Subwoofer modifications underway over at my son's house now. :)

He has already opened-up the front baffle to accept the larger driver frame, and I picked up some 3/4" MDF to add a little more internal bracing and reconfigure the back for the different shape DSP-controlled amp. It'll get that much done soon, perhaps by the weekend, and we'll tackle making the grille a little thicker later.

Going in is the SB Acoustics SB345SWPL-76-4 driver and Dayton Audio SPA250DSP amp. Next report with have photos, perhaps a video of it working. Unfortunately, we have no measurement equipment beyond a Shady O'Rack handheld SPL meter, so we'll be dialing it in "by ear" for now.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The M&K Sub is no longer a V-90! It's officially a "Frankensub." Brief test tells me this now outperforms it's original configuration SUBstantially. :D I have some work to do with the PEQ to get it working at its best, starting with loading the Dayton app onto my wife's laptop PC and connecting it. I did make some basic setting using the display and knob on the amp, and found that there's settings there I don't recognize from the "demo mode" of the desktop app, such as a setting for "Q". I don't know where that should be. It seems there's a lot more control over boost at various frequencies.

If any has used a Dayton SP250DSP or SPA500DSP amp and has some tips to share, I'm grateful!
Front_modified_V-90.jpg
Rear_Modified_V-90.jpg
SB-Acoustics_SW34SWPL-76-4.jpg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The M&K Sub is no longer a V-90! It's officially a "Frankensub." Brief test tells me this now outperforms it's original configuration SUBstantially. :D I have some work to do with the PEQ to get it working at its best, starting with loading the Dayton app onto my wife's laptop PC and connecting it. I did make some basic setting using the display and knob on the amp, and found that there's settings there I don't recognize from the "demo mode" of the desktop app, such as a setting for "Q". I don't know where that should be. It seems there's a lot more control over boost at various frequencies.

If any has used a Dayton SP250DSP or SPA500DSP amp and has some tips to share, I'm grateful!
View attachment 25810View attachment 25811View attachment 25811View attachment 25812
Nice job. Yes, Eq will alter Q on a sealed sub. Set Q to 0.5 if you can. Your preliminary results sound most encouraging.

Your mod looks very neat and professional. Don't insult the sub, they have "ears" you know!

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice job. Yes, Eq will alter Eq on a sealed sub. Set Q to 0.5 if you can. Your preliminary results sound most encouraging.

Your mod looks very neat and professional. Don't insult the sub, they have "ears" you know!
Thank you! I can indeed set the Q to .5, and will do that tomorrow. I'm researching the other settings, there's a lot of them with this amp!

I played a song from blues artist Gregory Porter, "Holding On", the second of two versions of it on the album. I think it's got frequencies down into the low 20's, perhaps mid 20's. Sounded very close to my SVS SB2000.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you! I can indeed set the Q to .5, and will do that tomorrow. I'm researching the other settings, there's a lot of them with this amp!

I played a song from blues artist Gregory Porter, "Holding On", the second of two versions of it on the album. I think it's got frequencies down into the low 20's, perhaps mid 20's. Sounded very close to my SVS SB2000.
Ah! The rewards of doing what you are told.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Ah! The rewards of doing what you are told.
I do respect people's input. I do not assume to know a great many things, but am eager to learn. Someone like you who has training, and many years of building outstanding systems is one of the more reliable sources. I plead guilty to being foolish in getting this sub primarily for its nice box (very high WAF) and hoping to make it something it never was when it was made. Success!

Now take machining of metals. That's been my profession for over 40 years and I can be an resource for many things in that area. I still have a fairly well-equipped machine shop (compared to most home shops.) I'm pretty good with old-fashioned film-based photography too, and know my way around a full color darkroom. These skills aren't useful here, so I appreciate you sharing good, solid technical knowledge about this subject area.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do respect people's input. I do not assume to know a great many things, but am eager to learn. Someone like you who has training, and many years of building outstanding systems is one of the more reliable sources. I plead guilty to being foolish in getting this sub primarily for its nice box (very high WAF) and hoping to make it something it never was when it was made. Success!

Now take machining of metals. That's been my profession for over 40 years and I can be an resource for many things in that area. I still have a fairly well-equipped machine shop (compared to most home shops.) I'm pretty good with old-fashioned film-based photography too, and know my way around a full color darkroom. These skills aren't useful here, so I appreciate you sharing good, solid technical knowledge about this subject area.
I was just giving you a light hearted poke in the ribs. Sounds a great machine shop you have. Clearly your metal working skills will aid you greatly if you do another speaker project. Due to needing tractors here, and other equipment, 20 years ago metal work had to take precedence over wood work. So I had to learn a whole new skill set.

I don't think you were crazy to embark on this project. You did have "'Lady Luck" at your back though, as you were lucky to find just the right driver when modifying an existing cabinet. As it happens that driver is perfect for the job. I think once you optimize the Eq you will be really pleased with it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I wish I could use all I know about metalworking to build a pair of full range speakers! When I see the cabinet build of the Magico line, I know I could do that but would be intrigued to cast one in Meehanite and finish machine it. Of course it would take a forklift to move them around, but talk about an inert, non-resonating cabinet!

BTW, it was YOU who found just the right driver not me. I was looking only at Parts Express because they seemed willing to "match it up" for me. That was my ignorance to assume they knew what they were doing. I can't thank you enough for helping get the right pairing.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh ... well that explains it then. That sub works beautifully. I can't remember the name of the tune used for the demo but the very bottom of the bottom end where the speakers couldn't reach gets added in without spectacle.

I was too blown away by the speakers to really appreciate how little the sub needed to do and how well it did it. My experience with two of TLS's sub alignments makes me turn my nose at my SVS SB12NSD and a Def Tech Supercube. I think it's the low Q thing that makes TLS's alignments extra chocolatey.

That's a really nice design. Small, potent, plate amp ... take my money.

I fully respect your choice of using somebody else's fine woodworking and finish skills. My last foray into finishing a sub incorporated (I hate to say it) Formica.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before. But I'm glad to have seen the final evolution of that room; almost final since you shuffled some TTs around.

EDIT: I also had to reset my intended course to make my last project worthwhile. And I learned something from it but more importantly, it sounds good.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oh ... well that explains it then. That sub works beautifully. I can't remember the name of the tune used for the demo but the very bottom of the bottom end where the speakers couldn't reach gets added in without spectacle.

I was too blown away by the speakers to really appreciate how little the sub needed to do and how well it did it. My experience with two of TLS's sub alignments makes me turn my nose at my SVS SB12NSD and a Def Tech Supercube. I think it's the low Q thing that makes TLS's alignments extra chocolatey.

That's a really nice design. Small, potent, plate amp ... take my money.

I fully respect your choice of using somebody else's fine woodworking and finish skills. My last foray into finishing a sub incorporated (I hate to say it) Formica.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before. But I'm glad to have seen the final evolution of that room; almost final since you shuffled some TTs around.

EDIT: I also had to reset my intended course to make my last project worthwhile. And I learned something from it but more importantly, it sounds good.
That was probably Gary Hoey, the song "Almost Heaven" from his Neon Highway album.

Yes, I've done some very recent upgrades in two new-to-me Luxman turntables to replace my E.A.T. C-Major (no slouch of a TT itself!), the "resto-mod" AR XB, and the Kenwood KD-4100 Direct drive. I've also added two new cartridges, an Audio Technica AT33Sa and a Hana ML. That subwoofer remains, and it's just as you say, gracefully and discreetly filling in the lowest octave while KEF Reference 1's can't reach.

The two new TT's and in the room pic one can see the subwoofer that is the subject of this old thread over in behind the left speaker.
PD121U_left_PD171A_right.jpg
Room_as-of_12-25-22.jpg

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. Is this what would be referred to as, one from the vault?
Just gettin' in touch with my feminine side: diggin' up the past. :D

Seriously, a TLS inspired sealed sub mod that I missed? Musta been one a them abductions where they gave me false memories.

This thread is only 5 years old. Is that old now? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis