Refurbished AV receiver

C

chloe_sullivan

Enthusiast
Everything kinda went out of budget so I decided to go for a refurbished model for my AV receiver because it cost me almost 200 dollars less with the three year protection plan included.

Onkyo TXSR803 7.1

but, should I be scared and is there a chance it wont function as good as a new one would have? Has anyone bought any refurbished stuff out here?

majorloser

majorloser

As long as it's a reputable dealer. Nothing wrong with refurb or B-stock. Make sure they have a good return policy, just in case there's a major flaw you just can't live with.

majorloser

majorloser

Yes. they are! I've used AC4L quite a few times. They're located near Orlando, FL.

I've spend well over $8K with them. Even returns and exchanges where easy.

EDIT: they're a Canton speaker dealer if you want to look at something pretty.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
To echo Major's sentiment, so long as you're buying from a reputable dealer, refurbs are a great option. In fact, about 60-70% of my two HT setups consists of either refurbished or used items. In my main HT setup, I saved several thousand dollars buying used and refurbished that allowed me to buy the equipment I otherwise wouldn't have been able to if I went the new route.

Another frequently used refurbished site is uBid. In fact, they've recently had the Onkyo receiver you referred to for sale and it comes with a full 1 year warranty direct from Onkyo, so this is as good as you're going to do new. If you felt like throwing in the extended warranty from uBid, you can do this as well. They currently have the model down from the one you mentioned here. I believe the HDMI may be the only difference between the 703 and 803, but if you're set on the 803, I'd keep a lookout for it there unless AC4L has a better deal on it.... -TD

C

chloe_sullivan

Enthusiast
hey majorloser
Thanks. That indeed is comforting. I was a bit concerned.

Tom: I want the HDMI thingy so I opted for the 803 one. And I ordered it a while back from accessoriesforless.com Thanks for the advice though. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've used AC4L a number of times too and I'm very pleased with them also.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
You're welcome, just thought you might like another option, even if its only for future use...:D

AC4L is a very reputable place, so I'm sure you'll be all set ordering from them... -TD

C

chloe_sullivan

Enthusiast
oh that's a relief. Now it's only a matter of wait..until my shipments arrive.

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Refurbish Unit

I have brought several items from accessories4less. I am lucky as I live in Orlando and I have gone straight to their location to buy the items in person. I have been dealing with them since 2000 and have brought speakers (AR 312HO) not made anymore, DVD players (Onkyo 702 just recently-refurbish) and I just brought the (Onkyo SR-603x-refurbish as well) a couple of weeks ago when my Pioneer died a painful death.

Meeting them in person years ago gave me a sense of ease as they have a real location and the friendliness people I have ever met. I have not had any issues with the products I have brought from them and they are an authorized Onkyo, Marantz dealer as well as several high end speakers.

I have probably spent upward of close to 2500.00 dollars with them and I am planning on buying speakers in the next two to three weeks for my bedroom (Bookshelf speakers) and a entry level Onkyo for the bedroom as well.

You can rest assure that they are legitimate and very professional. And the prices are hard to beat.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
AC4L good seller..

I bought my Mordaunt Shorts from them. Good seller...

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Refurbish Receivers

Quick question. I was interested in purchasing the Mordaunt Shorts for my bedroom. How do they sound in your opinion?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have had them in my bedroom setup for a few years now and I am quite happy with them (bought from AC4L). Mostly neutral, good with most types of music. The highs are crisp but not overly bright and midrange is just clean.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I have had them in my bedroom setup for a few years now and I am quite happy with them (bought from AC4L). Mostly neutral, good with most types of music. The highs are crisp but not overly bright and midrange is just clean.
I agree. It is pretty much neutral i can say. For music, I even like it in stereo (without the center). For small room like mine, they are about right.

P

pbmpharmacist

Audioholic Intern
majorloser said:
As long as it's a reputable dealer. Nothing wrong with refurb or B-stock. Make sure they have a good return policy, just in case there's a major flaw you just can't live with.

I agree, just be careful where you buy from

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis