Reddit members having a d* measuring contest

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The group delay for thise bass horns are unbelievably bad. Its an audible artifact. Klipschorns were a good design for their day. They were launched n 1947.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
OMG thanks for the pics. I need to show my wife to remind her it could be worse. Lol.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The group delay for thise bass horns are unbelievably bad. Its an audible artifact. Klipschorns were a good design for their day. They were launched n 1947.
The guy running 3 said he’s running 2 McIntosh men220 (roomperfect) to correct it. Anything like this would probably benefit from active crossovers. The guy said he’s also bi-amping them with McIntosh amps and said he’s never seen the needle on the VU meter move. Pointless, absolutely but it’s his money. Also said Klisch custom made the center speaker and it has a serial number of 1 as it’s the only one they’ve ever made.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
The guy running 3 said he’s running 2 McIntosh men220 (roomperfect) to correct it. Anything like this would probably benefit from active crossovers. The guy said he’s also bi-amping them with McIntosh amps and said he’s never seen the needle on the VU meter move. Pointless, absolutely but it’s his money. Also said Klisch custom made the center speaker and it has a serial number of 1 as it’s the only one they’ve ever made.
What’s the point of the beautiful blue meters if you can’t get them bouncing around. Crazy.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pffft! Two or three speakers?

Not for this guy-

I had a pair of the EV 30W and doubt that I'll ever have anything close to that again, but they wouldn't fit into my house.....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The madness of this hobby seemingly always ends up with large horns of some sort. The current tech that revolves around waveguides tends to show how a little goes a long way, including some of the tiniest waveguides that a lot of modern tweeters are built into.

I have gotten into some quirky and eccentric designs myself, and although far from correct, still intriguing and fun to listen to somehow, at least until that novelty wears off. Ultimately, though, causing me to instead to do a complete 180 into less and uncomplicated being being actually more. Once I hear a type of speaker that sounds like it is trying too hard or depending on too many 'right' things, I can't unhear it. Same happened to me while experimenting with dipole or wideband types.

It makes me laugh at myself now though, getting my audio socks knocked off by smaller, 3-way monitors, tiny and inexpensive, class D amps. . . and subwoofers. The only downside, if there is one, being, there is nothing left to do other than just listen to the music. Turns out that this hobby didn't really need so many of my big ideas after all.

P

psyduck103

Audiophyte
That is why I use a MiniDSP 4x10 with 2xMc240 and2XMC30 amps to correct for this I am also using parametric EQ to smooth out that +- 5db response curve. I use them for old optical soundtrack films .Next best thing to original Western Electric horns which I can neither afford nor have the room for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis