Record Skip Question

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh oh. I wish I had another headshell with a secondary cart to try before I play the replacement. But then again, my tt doesn't have a removable headshell. I'll be on pins and needles for about a week. If it plays, I think I'll record it right away since you say these impurities seem to migrate like illegal aliens.
I would not worry. I have had very few LPs have this problem. They pretty much all date to the Iran Crisis when the Shah was deposed and Americans taken hostage in the embassy in Tehran.
Those were the days when we had the 55 mph, blanket nationwide speed limit introduced.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
They were still using plastic from the late 70's in 1986?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They were still using plastic from the late 70's in 1986?
There have been ongoing problems with American pressings over many years. The UK pressings were by far the best. I don't think I ever had a bad pressing from a UK plant.

highfigh

highfigh

Oh oh. I wish I had another headshell with a secondary cart to try before I play the replacement. But then again, my tt doesn't have a removable headshell. I'll be on pins and needles for about a week. If it plays, I think I'll record it right away since you say these impurities seem to migrate like illegal aliens.
You didn't write about impurities, just a blip in the flatness- worry about that, especially since you plan to record it ASAP and not years after now.

Where is the disc not flat, is it at the edge, is it cupped, bent like a taco shell?

If it's cupped, you could slip a small rubber O-ring over the spindle and press down, to push the center down to the platter. At the risk of having someone tell me that I'm full of crap, a record clamping device DOES help with LPs that aren't flat but I don't like seeing heavy record weights on turntables that don't/may not have a bearing that can handle it.

highfigh

highfigh

It looks VG+. Or better in my opinion. Some folks say if it's opened, VG+ is as high as it goes. I would say M- with the very faint fingerprint. But the slight warp.... ok, maybe VG+ was visually correct.
Can you edit your feedback or contact the site, to see if the owners can do that? Explain the situation and maybe, they'll be reasonable.

highfigh

highfigh

There have been ongoing problems with American pressings over many years. The UK pressings were by far the best. I don't think I ever had a bad pressing from a UK plant.
The problem is that, even though CDs were starting to cut into LP sales, some segments of the LP market were still strong but feeling the pinch, so they needed to cut costs. The reality of injection molding and pressing is that if bad products are made, they WILL regrind the plastic, for a couple of reasons- disposal isn't free and buying virgin OR reground plastic was expensive. The problem with reground is that paper labels probably weren't removed and if the cardboard is like the tan corrugated type, it would seem that the whole box was tossed into the hopper.

Did you see many American factory workers when you were working in the ER? I worked at a plastics factory, as I mentioned- most of the 3rd shift employees were hard drinkers, did various drugs (before, during and after work) and well, let's just say they were less than conscientious workers.

Buying imported LPs has been a good way to buy better quality pressings- I started buying them in the late-'70s and have never had a bad one, like you. It was less a problem for me and others who worked where these were sold but as a consumer, ending up with bad products is never good.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Can you edit your feedback or contact the site, to see if the owners can do that? Explain the situation and maybe, they'll be reasonable.
On Discogs, you can retract your fb, but then you cannot leave it again. I might see if I can contact someone. I am only out $10 plus shipping and tax though.

highfigh

highfigh

On Discogs, you can retract your fb, but then you cannot leave it again. I might see if I can contact someone. I am only out $10 plus shipping and tax though.
Plus your time, plus the aggravation, plus.....

I would contact Discogs- they might let you or do it for you.

highfigh

highfigh

Did you give my post a dislike because you don't like the facts, or because you think it's wrong?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I was at one of my stops when I viewed and replied to your message. I pushed the wrong little tiny icon when I intended to push like.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The problem is that, even though CDs were starting to cut into LP sales, some segments of the LP market were still strong but feeling the pinch, so they needed to cut costs. The reality of injection molding and pressing is that if bad products are made, they WILL regrind the plastic, for a couple of reasons- disposal isn't free and buying virgin OR reground plastic was expensive. The problem with reground is that paper labels probably weren't removed and if the cardboard is like the tan corrugated type, it would seem that the whole box was tossed into the hopper.

Did you see many American factory workers when you were working in the ER? I worked at a plastics factory, as I mentioned- most of the 3rd shift employees were hard drinkers, did various drugs (before, during and after work) and well, let's just say they were less than conscientious workers.

Buying imported LPs has been a good way to buy better quality pressings- I started buying them in the late-'70s and have never had a bad one, like you. It was less a problem for me and others who worked where these were sold but as a consumer, ending up with bad products is never good.
The major employer was American Crystal Sugar. They have Sugar Beet plants up and down the Red River Valley.

There was a Simplot Potato plant the made French Fries for multiple fast food chains

I used to buy from an outfit out East who specialized in importing European pressings.

For instance the difference between and American Angel pressing and a UK HMV pressing was night and day, in terms of pops and clicks and actually the SQ.

I have a large legacy LP collection therefore statistically I am more likely to have the odd problem disc. In relation to the number of discs I have, problem discs are far and few between. What amazes me is how well so many of those stand comparison with modern media.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't understand how a secondary headshell would help. You just need to play it with the best equipment you have.

Unless these records were made in a very inferior plant, then you are unlikely to run into this twice in row.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't understand how a secondary headshell would help. You just need to play it with the best equipment you have.

Unless these records were made in a very inferior plant, then you are unlikely to run into this twice in row.
Oh that's good. What I meant was if I had 2 headshells, one with a superior cartridge like the Blue Ortofon that I have right now, then I'd rather test the LP out with the secondary one. But it is likely a moot point.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Oh that's good. What I meant was if I had 2 headshells, one with a superior cartridge like the Blue Ortofon that I have right now, then I'd rather test the LP out with the secondary one. But it is likely a moot point.
The trouble with that plan is that cheaper cartridges with lower compliance can permanently reduce SQ with just one play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis