Recommended speaker cables

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
In general there are many great options out there but some popular choices would include Monster Cable's XLN series , Audioquest’s Rocket 33/44 or even Cambered's 6series UL OFC wire if you're looking for something more budget friendly while still getting great results!
Or you could just get something like this at 4% the cost of the Rocket 44 and have the same results:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L37VMR/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&th=1

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Or you could just get something like this at 4% the cost of the Rocket 44 and have the same results:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L37VMR/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2IHZFOHOQ0WG8&th=1
Still too much and it won't make a difference. If someone leaves their cables in a place where they can be seen, that's up to them but at some point, the area behind the system becomes cluttered and no amount of cable pants, etc makes it look good. Unless it sparkles. Get the kind that sparkles. Maybe something with blinking lights or somehow, looks like it's on fire. They could be called 'Hot Wires' ©®(and any other symbols that will prevent someone from stealing my idea!)

Yeah, that would be so cool.....

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In general there are many great options out there but some popular choices would include Monster Cable's XLN series , Audioquest’s Rocket 33/44 or even Cambered's 6series UL OFC wire if you're looking for something more budget friendly while still getting great results!
Fraudioquest, seriously?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I prefer my speaker and HDMI cables be EMI graded, first ;)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@Kingnoob Speaker wire that is foil shielded. You can call a local electrical contractor and see if they have 14 or 16 ga, 2 conductor stranded wire, 99.9% pure copper, SHIELDED, and jacketed. This shielded cable is used in industrial communications installations and studios. As long as it is shielded, it is EMI rated. It is usually in twisted pairs. Maybe a local industrial electrical contractor will sell off a 500 or 1000 foot roll.

I have access to it from my son, who works for a large industrial electrical contractor. They do nuclear or gas generated electrical plants, schools, colleges, industrial buildings, to name a few.

You might find it on-line too. Look for HDMI cables that are EMI tested, if interested. Read my signature.

Here is an example: 182STR-SPL-B-WH 18/2 Speaker Cable/Control Cable, 2 Conductor, 18 AWG, – FalconTech and they might have 16ga.
16-2 Stranded Shielded 16 Gauge 2 Conductor Cable 1000ft (cablingplus.com)

Perhaps a wire distributor would be willing to sell you 100 or 200 foot spool too.
electrical wire and cable distributors - Search (bing.com)

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
@Kingnoob Speaker wire that is foil shielded. You can call a local electrical contractor and see if they have 14 or 16 ga, 2 conductor stranded wire, 99.9% pure copper, SHIELDED, and jacketed. This shielded cable is used in industrial communications installations and studios. As long as it is shielded, it is EMI rated. It is usually in twisted pairs. Maybe a local industrial electrical contractor will sell off a 500 or 1000 foot roll.

I have access to it from my son, who works for a large industrial electrical contractor. They do nuclear or gas generated electrical plants, schools, colleges, industrial buildings, to name a few.

You might find it on-line too. Look for HDMI cables that are EMI tested, if interested. Read my signature.
Oh I see this stuff is it just for in walls is there some benefit to using it for regular wire??
And the hdmi version also for in wall?
I don’t really need shielded cable right now nor can I afford it. Just wondered if it was better then regular copper cable ??
Amazon Basics 14-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire Cable - 99.9% Oxygen-Free Copper, 100 Feet https://a.co/d/33Smecn

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Here is an explanation, What is shielded cable and why use it? - Metroid Electrical Engineering ,and in my case, I have high tension wires nearby and transformers. My equipment is also near the furnace, refrig, washing machine and dryer motors. Same room, you might say. Fortunately, I don't have a Ham radio operator close by, but our local radio tower is 5 blocks away. I have blocked out any interference that might arise. That is me. Others might not need added interference protection or have the need.

what is emi - Search (bing.com)

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Here is an explanation, What is shielded cable and why use it? - Metroid Electrical Engineering ,and in my case, I have high tension wires nearby and transformers. My equipment is also near the furnace, refrig, washing machine and dryer motors. Same room, you might say. Fortunately, I don't have a Ham radio operator close by, but our local radio tower is 5 blocks away. I have blocked out any interference that might arise. That is me. Others might not need added interference protection or have the need.

what is emi - Search (bing.com)
Wow thanks for the info, I’ve never picked up radio frequency’s with my regular speaker wire but shielded wire could definitely prevent that 100%!! However I don’t use radio either , I used to outside though.

D

dianaermos

Audiophyte
Though I have read that some connectors on speakers themselves would be easier to deal with if using the smaller 12 AWG wires.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My question is... since we obviously haven't picked out speakers yet, and we don't know what size/make/model of speakers we'll be getting in the future, I think I need to pick cables that are going to work with basically everything? So, should we just run 12-gauge speaker cable everywhere? Would greatly appreciate any advice, many thanks.
The reality is that unless you plan to treat the rooms and use extremely high end speakers, you don't need more than 14 gauge cabling in a distributed audio system, and even thicker than 16 gauge is arguably not needed. The in-ceiling speakers have relatively low quality compared to the nicer floor standing speakers on the market. While people are quoting you information about 'best' quality, that's just pure silliness in the real world of distributed audio.

I like that you are forward thinking on this. Anywhere there MAY be audio, you should wire to. If this is a home with a garage, then I would include the garage, and potentially any outdoor spaces where you may spend some time as part of this plan.

I think, in bedrooms or rooms with televisions, you may want to consider if you may/will ever want the television audio to play through the overhead speakers in the room. If so, you may want to move speakers to either side of the TV or towards the 'front' of the room where the TV will be located. Angled in-ceiling speakers, that aren't directly overhead, create better stereo imaging and present more of a left-right feel to the listening experience. If this is desired, then you may want certain sources centrally located for this, in which case, ensure you have at least 2 pieces of cat-6 wiring at each potential future TV location. This will allow for networked or HDBT extension of HDMI signals to those television locations, or a balun to take TV audio back to the head end (equipment closet).

You will want to do some digging on what distributed audio system you want to use and I am a huge fan of keeping an eye on eBay for distributed audio amplifiers. Older 12 and 16 channel amps can sometimes be had for a steal on eBay.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis