Recommended Connection

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
I currently have the RX-663 receiver, and I'm out of HDMI ports. It only comes with 2 incoming, 1 out, and I have a PS3, Xbox 360 using them, and now I need one for my ATT Uverse HD-DVR.

Question: Would you recommend running HDMI to the TV, then running audio out of the TV to the receiver? Or run component cables to the receiver, which would include the Stereo Analog Audio? The ATT Uverse DVR does have an optical connection. Optical > Analog right?

Another option would be to use some sort of HDMI switch for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but I'm afraid that will degrade the quality. I really don't want that since I use them a lot for watching movies (PS3) and gaming (Xbox 360).

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
From the perspective of video, the only advantages HDMI has over component are 1080p (component maxes at 1080i) and deep color... though I don't think anything supports the latter, and most sources (last I looked) are 1080i.

Speaking at least for the standard cable box, the color looks better from component (has to do with the renderer).

In audio, HDMI offers several modes not supported over optical. Almost all related only to blue-ray.

You are just running playback from the DVR? Assuming the Yamaha does upconverting, attach the DVR to the Yamaha via component and digital audio.

H

hewlett123

Enthusiast
If the switch is made right I don't think it *can* degrade the quality. HDMI is a digital signal, sure the signal can be weakened but if the 1's and 0's are still there then the quality should be there as well.

Personally I'd actually go the switch route. Having everything go through the receiver is something I prefer as it's less cable hell. Furthermore, depending on your switch the expansion can give you another HDMI port for the unusual additions later on. Perhaps a laptop with HDMI out.

caleb2001r

caleb2001r

Junior Audioholic
@JerryLove: Right; I'm only doing some HD programming playback and general TV watching from the DVR. If the HDMI audio advantages only have to do with bluray, then I'm probably going to go optical like you suggest. Thanks!

@hewlett123: If I go with the switch route, do you have a switch you would recommend? The only disadvantage I see to this is that I have my scenes setup to be in different modes dependent on what's on - PS3 is on Movie:Standard, Xbox is on a gaming scene, etc.

If I went with the switch I'd have to manually change them. Not a huge deal though.

Kind of makes me wish I just waited on the 663 until more HDMI inputs were added. :/

H

hewlett123

Enthusiast
Personally I have only heard good stuff about:
OPPO HM-31 Certified HDMI 1.3 and 1080p Switch

It's auto sensing and it does a decent job of it. Therefore the TV modes is all you'd have to care about. The only gotcha is the fact that the switch is 99 bucks at amazon (do some searching as amazon is rarely the best price). Depending on your budget it may be worth waiting until black friday and getting a new reciever. (If you're looking that route sometime soon).

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
@JerryLove: Right; I'm only doing some HD programming playback and general TV watching from the DVR. If the HDMI audio advantages only have to do with bluray, then I'm probably going to go optical like you suggest. Thanks!
Both are correct. Your DVR is not likely to be putting out 1080p. If it is, it's unlikely to have a true 1080p source (so upconverting in the AVR or TV, assuming they have it, will work fine). So there's no video advantage to HDMI in that instance.

For audio, the formats that won't go over the standard digital connection are things like DTS-Master, which again I doubt are coming from your DVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis