Recommendations on setup

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
Pair for 550 is $100 less than it costs from HSU, plus I might be able to get them down to 500 or below. I would then just buy an additional one and the sub from HSU.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yep, can’t go wrong either way and especially since I’m going HSU Sub it might be worth the CCB’s since I’d get them as a packaged deal and possibly a discount.

Is it worth me waiting a few months until I can demo? I’m not in a hurry ☺

What’s your opinion of buying the CCB off craigslist? Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to play them given the times so if they are dead I’m SoL...
When Hsu opens for curbside pickups, you could just pick up some CCB-8s there along with a VTF-2, and if they don't work out for you, you can just return the speakers for a full refund. You have a 30 day trial with Hsu products. You might get in contact with Hsu to ask when they think they will be ready for curbside pickups again.

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
I wonder if they do pickup, just not walk-ins and demos. I also need an amp first

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HD sorta touched on this when he mentioned bedroom setup. I love the Sierra 2s but I think I've come close to their limits volume wise in my large room, which is what helped tip me toward the towers.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
If you want to save money, a 2.1 CCB-8 set-up is also a good idea. I have a pair and have lived without a center, just listening to a phantom center (dialogue is clear and intelligible). This is because they have a huge sweet spot. Properly set up per Hsu's guidelines, the stereo image is locked in even if you're sitting 3-4ft off the center axis. The image doesn't collapse to the speaker nearest you. Imaging is uncannily realistic, and soundstaging extends beyond speaker boundaries. They're neutral-sounding, not at all bright. They also play loudly without distortion, at least in my 19.5x15x8 room.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
@JengaHit that’s awesome! What receiver do you use? Does the Phantom Center really work well?
I use a 21 yr-old Bryston amp and 17 yr-old PS Audio pre-amp (for now 2.1 ch is fine for me). The phantom works really well for 3-4 people. Don't have any problems understanding dialogue. The CCB-8's were going to be a temporary bridge until I bought tower speakers again, but I'm very satisfied and have no desire to upgrade for now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis