Recommendations on setup

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
@shadyJ if it’s going to make a significant difference I’d rather spend the extra money on 3 CCB-8. How do the CCB’s compete in this price range? Also, did you see my setup, is it terrible placing a center channel on the bottom?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ if it’s going to make a significant difference I’d rather spend the extra money on 3 CCB-8. How do the CCB’s compete in this price range? Also, did you see my setup, is it terrible placing a center channel on the bottom?
I think the CCB-8 compete very well in this range. I review speakers for Audioholics, and I still remember the CCB-8 as having an uncanny imaging ability. There are some caveats though, it is a large speaker, and a lot of people don't like the way they look. Hsu has since added a model with a black cone, but I think the yellow cone version has more personality. Also, they are intended to be used at a slight angle, so they can sound a bit crisp with the speaker aimed right at you. If you decide to get them, follow Hsu's placement guidelines to get the best sound. They are also intended to be used with a sub, so they don't have much bass extension into subwoofer range frequencies, not that you need that extension if you are using them with a sub.

I think they would work better than normal center speakers in the cavity in your entertainment shelf. The reason is that they have relatively narrow dispersion on all axes, so they won't reflect as much sound in the vertical axis. Normal MTM center speakers actually tend to have a wide vertical dispersion, so they will be more prone to diffraction from nearby surfaces in a vertical angle, such as your floor. In other words, the floor will have a more damaging acoustic affect on a traditional center speaker than it would o a speaker like the CCB-8.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
...did you see my setup, is it terrible placing a center channel on the bottom?
No, you don't want to place the center too low. You have the typical space and placement issues we all face, the very reason those flawwed mtm center channel speakers exist!

CCB-8's are pretty girthy for your space, maybe too big to manage. Placement on the top shelf, which would be best, would force you to raise the tv up. They may not fit on the next shelf down, and you don't want to go any lower than that. But if you can make them fit and dig up the extra cash, three CCB-8 and the sub would be an incredible rig that would knock your socks off.

Last edited:
Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
Thanks so much to both of you! I guess I’d have to figure out the placement if I were to get them. At least they now have the black cone (WAF or in my case GAF) and the left/right channels I could put right where my A5+ are. Might need to suck it up and mount the TV

Been reading some other forums and the CCB-8s just get such fantastic reviews that I’m hooked.

Does sub placement matter? Was thinking the corner of the room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks so much to both of you! I guess I’d have to figure out the placement if I were to get them. At least they now have the black cone (WAF or in my case GAF) and the left/right channels I could put right where my A5+ are. Might need to suck it up and mount the TV

Been reading some other forums and the CCB-8s just get such fantastic reviews that I’m hooked.

Does sub placement matter? Was thinking the corner of the room.
Yes, sub placement has a major affect on the sound. I would encourage you to try the sub out in whatever spots that you have available and keep it in the place that sounds best to you.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
[edit, I see you were asking about sub placement, not speaker placement, my bad.]

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The budget maximizing speakers/sub is a good way to go....the 3500 may again be avail for 600 (it has even gone for that new on Amazon) but in these times hard to know...but the 1600 would do fine for your purposes...especially with speakers with good sensitivity. Do you have a phono stage?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ouch! $202 for shipping!

I was going to buy a sub from them anyway so is it worth me just biting the bullet and getting them?

How are the CCB-8 compared to the 600Ms? Also, don’t know how I’m going to put it on it’s side in front of my TV (I don’t think my TV goes up any more than where it’s at). Would I be a fool to put this on the bottom shelf?

View attachment 36541

Also, which receiver would pair with these?
I would pick the CCB-8s myself. I have to be honest and tell you I haven't heard either, but based on reputation, reviews and comments my gut tells me that the CCB-8 is a better speaker. Definitely the better center channel solution for sure. I really like the concentric drivers too. I recently got to experience a pair of speakers with those type of drivers and really like the way they image. Very precise.

Plus being more powerful doesn't hurt anything either! I'd take the hit now and not wonder if I woulda shoulda coulda... been there, lol.

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great advice. Yes, I have a phone stage, Cambridge Audio.

Going a different route, what about the CCB-8 vs Sierra 1’s + Sierra 1 Center? I’m just concerned about the exact placement of the CCB-8...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Phew...

I'm the wrong guy to back asking about Ascend Acoustic Sierra speakers!

I found a pair of Sierra 2s on Craigslist for a great price so I jumped on them. I just love those RAAL tweeters and ended up ordering the towers, which I was just notified will be here Monday! I haven't heard the Sierra 1s but I have no doubt they're pretty nice speakers too. They're the same cabinets and that's a big part of why they sound so good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well both companies (Hsu and Ascend) do offer a return policy but depending on you paying return freight, so not quite as good as SVS or RSL in that regard. Unless you're in reach of SoCal (both are there) by vehicle it may cost as much to pick them up yourself :)

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
Funny enough I am in SoCal. I see a pair of HSU CCB-8 on Craigslist for 550 in my area. Maybe I’ll grab those although with the times as they are now there’s no easy way to test, etc as I’m definitely not going into someone else’s place

HSU is only about a 40 minute drive for me! Unfortunately I can’t audition them but damn it would save me a ton of shipping cost! Ascend is a little further (about an hour+ away).

I’m now in a pickle between CCB-8 and Sierra 1’s and positioning of CCB-8 is interesting. I hear that people love the coaxial speaker though. But since I’m already getting a VTF-2 MK5 I’m more inclined toward CCB-8

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd definitely arrange for some demos if you're that close....when I lived in the area I wasn't even that close time wise. Both I believe with advance request will accommodate....and you get to meet some very cool audio people!

ps assuming they're opening for public and all that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not open for demoing or walk ins :(
Hard to blame them, but an in-home demo is always the best in any case. Seriously, I think you'd be good with either choice. There's always something better out there like so many other things. Sometimes you just choose. I was pleased with blind choices for my first Ascends (200SE), and more so when I scored a good deal on a used set (Sierra-1s) later.

ps Disclosure the Ascends now are my bedroom setup, a full set of JBL Studio 5 series in the big room now....diy subs both

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
Yep, can’t go wrong either way and especially since I’m going HSU Sub it might be worth the CCB’s since I’d get them as a packaged deal and possibly a discount.

Is it worth me waiting a few months until I can demo? I’m not in a hurry ☺

What’s your opinion of buying the CCB off craigslist? Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to play them given the times so if they are dead I’m SoL...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, can’t go wrong either way and especially since I’m going HSU Sub it might be worth the CCB’s since I’d get them as a packaged deal and possibly a discount

What’s your opinion of buying the CCB off craigslist? Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to play them given the times so if they are dead I’m SoL...
If you can get a demo with a Craigslist pickup, works for me....how I got my used Sierra 1s.....while I expected good he had something playing when I came in and it was like those speakers that poorly placed sound that good? I'm sold! I did test some more with my own music I'd brought, but it just confirmed my first impression quickly....

Z

ZSamuels28

Enthusiast
I wouldn’t go in someone’s house right now that’s an issue...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn’t go in someone’s house right now that’s an issue...
Yeah can understand that but most risk can be alleviated with some mutual participation....the newish standard in the meantime until we have comprehensive testing et....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis