Receiver with Pre out or amp

A

allEars

Junior Audioholic
I now have two External amps, a 2 channel that is driving my front speakers and a 5 channel that is driving the rear and center speakers (2 channels are not being used)
The last piece that needs to be updated is the receiver/processor.

If I get a good receiver with pre-outs, will it be close to the sound from a $2000.00 processor (looking into the Onkyo 886 or the Integra 9.9)?

the main reason for the upgrade is so I can get the latest Codecs.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Onkyo Pro PR-SC-886P, definitively.

Hello again allEars,

The Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P is a great pre/pro. I highly recommend it to you my friend. With this last, but most important piece of the puzzle, you'll be perfectly set. :)
And at it's present price, it's a great value for a pre/pro.
And no need to pay more for the basically same Integra DHC-9.9.

Of course, other people will tell you to get a cheap receiver, and use it as a pre/pro; but then why use something only half way?
And besides, what receiver would give you Audyssey MultEQ XT, with PRO capability, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, THX Ultra2 Plus, with THX Volume Plus, TI Burr-Brown PCM-1796a Dacs for all channels, three TI Aureus DSP chips, VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) for all channels, 15-band graphic EQ for all individual channels, especially including the subwoofer channel with lower EQ than usual, HQV Reon-VX50 superb video processor, with individual HDMI video setup adjustments, Balanced outputs for all channels, Balanced Stereo inputs, quasi state-of-the-art preamp section, toroidal transformer, gold plated jacks for all inputs and outputs, and a great simple menu setup, easy to understand, a great remote control too, an easy to understand instruction manual, a solidly build component, internal quality parts by abundance, a fantastic sound, and a quality guaranteed Onkyo product?
Sorry, but I don't know any receiver with all these qualitative attributes.

My highest recommendation to complete your system. :)

* http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKPRSC886/Onkyo/PR-SC886-THX-Ultra2-Plus-7.1-Channel-3-Zone-preamplifier/Processor-/1.html

Bob

Last edited:
K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
Hello again allEars,

The Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P is a great pre/pro. I highly recommend it to you my friend. With this last, but most important piece of the puzzle, you'll be perfectly set. :)

Of course, other people will tell you to get a cheap receiver, and use it as a pre/pro; but then why use something only half way?
And besides, what receiver would give you Audyssey MultEQ XT, with PRO capability, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, THX Ultra2 Plus, with THX Volume Plus, TI Burr-Brown PCM-1796a Dacs for all channels, three TI Aureus DSP chips, VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) for all channels, 15-band graphic EQ for all individual channels, especially including the subwoofer channel with lower EQ than usual, HQV Reon-VX50 superb video processor, with individual HDMI video setup adjustments, Balanced outputs for all channels, Balanced Stereo inputs, quasi state-of-the-art preamp section, toroidal transformer, gold plated jacks for all inputs and outputs, and a great simple menu setup, easy to understand, a great remote control too, an easy to understand instruction manual, a solidly build component, internal quality parts by abundance, a fantastic sound, and a quality guaranteed Onkyo product?

* http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKPRSC886/Onkyo/PR-SC886-THX-Ultra2-Plus-7.1-Channel-3-Zone-preamplifier/Processor-/1.html

Bob
Does Yamaha or Denon make a pre/pro with all this?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha, no, wish they did.
Denon, not at a price that competes with the Onkyo that LOR brought up.

Hello again allEars,

Bob
Depends on the budget it mind.
Before upgrading my three year old Yamaha receiver to my current one I was hell bent on going with a processor/pre-amp
I seriously considered the Onkyo or Emotiva's perpetually upcoming pre-pro.
I couldn't justify the cost, in the case of the Onkyo, or the wait in the case of the Emo.

I'm not suggesting buying a "cheap" receiver, but, in my mind anyway, justifying the price of a pre-pro when there are plenty of capable receivers out there is a tough thing to do.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hey Nomo, I don't know if you remember when the Onkyo PR-SC885P was on sale last april for only $529! A lot of people jump on that deal, and boy! they're happy now! :)

And like I said on my previous post, try to come up with a receiver that have all these features and internal parts. :D Even for a thousand bucks (except for Onkyo very own TX-SR875 & 876, or even the 805). But then, what about all these amps just idling???

Anyway, I spoke my saying, and I stand by it. :)

Regards,

Bob

P.S. How much did you pay for your Yammy 1800?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
For that price? Are you kidding? No darn way. ;)

Yamaha doesn't even make any pre/pro at all.
And Denon want your eyes for theirs. :eek:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Nomo, I don't know if you remember when the Onkyo PR-SC885P was on sale last april for only $529! A lot of people jump on that deal, and boy! they're happy now! :)

And like I said on my previous post, try to come up with a receiver that have all these features and internal parts. :D Even for a thousand bucks (except for Onkyo very own TX-SR875 & 876, or even the 805). But then, what about all these amps just idling???

Anyway, I spoke my saying, and I stand by it. :)

Regards,

Bob

P.S. How much did you pay for your Yammy 1800?
I paid $900 for my 1800. I have very few regrets, but that price on the Onkyo would have turned my head if I didn't already have the Yamaha.:eek:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

I'm not suggesting buying a "cheap" receiver, but, in my mind anyway, justifying the price of a pre-pro when there are plenty of capable receivers out there is a tough thing to do.
I would go further than that, and say that if one does not have state of the art speakers first, one is spending extra money in absolutely the wrong place if actual sound quality is what matters. Before buying very high end electronics, one should have the best speakers possible. The differences between electronics are trivial compared with the differences between speakers.

Almost everyone gets this wrong in practice, and wastes money by spending it on the parts that make the least difference.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I now have two External amps, a 2 channel that is driving my front speakers and a 5 channel that is driving the rear and center speakers (2 channels are not being used)
The last piece that needs to be updated is the receiver/processor.

If I get a good receiver with pre-outs, will it be close to the sound from a $2000.00 processor (looking into the Onkyo 886 or the Integra 9.9)?

Yes, using a receiver as a preamp will get you the same sound or nearly the same sound as a comparably equipped preamp. I would look at the usual brands, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc., for one that had all of the features I wanted. Since you are using separate power amplifiers anyway, you can totally ignore the amplifier section of the receiver, and if a company has gone cheap with that part, while giving a good preamp, if they pass the savings on to you, that might be the way to go.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yamaha RX-V1800 is a very nice receiver, for sure.

I paid $900 for my 1800. I have very few regrets, but that price on the Onkyo would have turned my head if I didn't already have the Yamaha.:eek:
Tell me about it, it did turn mine for sure, and my eyeballs too. :eek:

* By the way, thanks for your welcome, greatly appreciated. :)

Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I would go further than that, and say that if one does not have state of the art speakers first, one is spending extra money in absolutely the wrong place if actual sound quality is what matters. Before buying very high end electronics, one should have the best speakers possible. The differences between electronics are trivial compared with the differences between speakers.

Almost everyone gets this wrong in practice, and wastes money by spending it on the parts that make the least difference.
I agree with what you're saying.

But you don't need expensive speakers for that, because nowadays you can buy some very affordable speakers that have excellent resolution, and that will reveal intricate details from your electronics, even from speaker cables' and interconnects' choices.
My speakers are not at all expensive, but they allow me to notice the sound differences between various electronics in my system.
The drivers and x-overs in my speakers are nicely built and perform with great focus; you can really see through the soundstage, very holographic.
I use good speaker cables (Kimber Kable 8TC & 4TC), and good interconnects too (Kimber Kable Hero & WireWorld Atlantis III; also various Audioquest & Ultralink analog & digital interconnects).
I also used very good material recordings on SACD and CD on Audiophile labels.

So, no need for a high end speaker system, if you know what to look for. :)

Regards,

Bob

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
Very Interesting. I believe there is merit each posts point of view. The electronics upgrade of Pre-Pro and amps I am still undecided on that point. Concerning DVD/CD players, I’m sure on that point, within a price cap (excluding extremely expensive high-end), there are better player that impact the sound quality, IMHO.

Pryrro’s point on quality speakers I hope he is right-on. I have waged a heavy bet on that point, recently purchased new fronts and center which is a considerable cost for me. I have a good set of speakers now, but when I receive my new pair im hoping to hear a MAJOR Improvement.

Pre-pro and amps that’s the area I just don’t know. I wish I did.
Speakers, this is the area where the greatest improvement is sound can be made, if you have at least good quality electronics not “high end”. Just my opinion and humble experience.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No reason why it would not.
Onkyo has some good, inexpensive receivers with all channels pre-outs, like the 705/6;):D They will decode the latest codecs through the HDMI.
Check them out as well. I use the 705 in this fashion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis