M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
Hi, is receiver positioning an issue? I mounted mine on its side, will this create issues? (there is space between the wall and the receiver for heat to escape, and a vent at the top)

Heres a picture if im not being clear:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno for sure.

I do know that they are desigjned to use cool air coming in from the bottom and venting out the top via convection.

M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
I do know that they are desigjned to use cool air coming in from the bottom and venting out the top via convection.
Okay, so would you recommend changing the position or will this suffice. If i do need to change its position, i need to look for a new place to put it, im running out of room (lol).

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
It looks like you have adequate Venting; It should work fine ;)

Good Luck!

Forest Man

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Could try a "touch test". run it for an hour and check it every so often during that to see if the heat gets worrying.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Oh my......

That pic gave me a chuckle:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The heat sinks are positioned so the heat will cause convection to draw cooler air in from the bottom. This won't work if the receiver is on its side. At some point, something will get too hot, especially if it's run hard. Class H or not, they all get hot to some extent and heat is what kills electronics.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Instead of being obscure, would you mind being productive and answering the question?
A monk asked Nansen: `Is there a teaching no master ever preached before?'

Nansen said: `Yes, there is.'

`What is it?' asked the monk.

Nansen replied: `It is not mind, it is not Buddha, it is not things.'

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Ambient cooling shouldbe adequate

The heat sinks are positioned so the heat will cause convection to draw cooler air in from the bottom. This won't work if the receiver is on its side. At some point, something will get too hot, especially if it's run hard. Class H or not, they all get hot to some extent and heat is what kills electronics.
Convection cooling occur because hot air rises and their is also ambient cooling cuase by the fins of the heat sink. There have been many other cases whereby electronic devices have been rotated 90 degrees with no ill effect, primarily because the temperature never gets close to a dangerous threshold. For example many enclosed PCs can be laid flat or towered with no ill effects. One specific type of receiver Onkyo, runs hotter than others and the key factor in assuring that a thermal protect ( most electronic equipment has a thermal protect) is to ensure adequate air clearance on the top, back and both sides. It is not so much postioning the unit horizontal or vertical.

Here is a pretty good article that discusses various cooling aspects.http://robots.freehostia.com/Heatsinks/HeatsinksBody.html

Even in your vertical situation if natural convection were required to maintain cooling, you could always add forced convertion with a laptop type cooling pad such as http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=laptop+cooling+pad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14343827250300502177&ei=iUslS7rUJpCCnQehwJDqCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers for as little as 15$.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Instead of being obscure, would you mind being productive and answering the question?
I think it's a brilliant use of space...................

.... I know from experience:D

Last edited:
Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Don't know about home amps and receivers but in the car world, the heat sinks of each device are only able to work if the device is flat, in the direction it's meant to face.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Convection cooling occur because hot air rises and their is also ambient cooling cuase by the fins of the heat sink. There have been many other cases whereby electronic devices have been rotated 90 degrees with no ill effect, primarily because the temperature never gets close to a dangerous threshold. For example many enclosed PCs can be laid flat or towered with no ill effects. One specific type of receiver Onkyo, runs hotter than others and the key factor in assuring that a thermal protect ( most electronic equipment has a thermal protect) is to ensure adequate air clearance on the top, back and both sides. It is not so much postioning the unit horizontal or vertical.

Here is a pretty good article that discusses various cooling aspects.http://robots.freehostia.com/Heatsinks/HeatsinksBody.html

Even in your vertical situation if natural convection were required to maintain cooling, you could always add forced convertion with a laptop type cooling pad such as http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&q=laptop+cooling+pad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14343827250300502177&ei=iUslS7rUJpCCnQehwJDqCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers for as little as 15$.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

I have sold and installed this kind of equipment for over 30 years and have seen things work for a while in a position that "should be OK", only to have it puke. They didn't design it to be placed on its side but since no mention of added cooling was mentioned, I didn't mention it either. Of course more cooling will help but coming in from the side is the wrong place.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I have sold and installed this kind of equipment for over 30 years and have seen things work for a while in a position that "should be OK", only to have it puke. They didn't design it to be placed on its side but since no mention of added cooling was mentioned, I didn't mention it either. Of course more cooling will help but coming in from the side is the wrong place.
The reason for the forced side cooling is that was the original bottom and in accordance with your convection heat rise direction it would force air in the same direction as the orginal convection. So side air coming in from the sie is correct.

Peace,

Forest Man

Y

Yancy Sefton

Banned
Hello guys!

I really want to be a wide receiver on varsity next year, but my football team doesn't have a summer training program. What kind of wide receiver workouts can I do to be better than the rest...

M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
Hello guys!

I really want to be a wide receiver on varsity next year, but my football team doesn't have a summer training program. What kind of wide receiver workouts can I do to be better than the rest...
What the...

lol...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would just run sprints, do squats and take a lot of Anabolics....
Hello guys!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Definitely go with the steriods.....It is only illegal if you get caught. It's a same that you don't already know that.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Back on the current topic. I think you will be fine. As long as the top and bottom vents are open to vent freely, I do not see any reason why it will hurt the receiver. From the picture there appears to be plenty of clearance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis