Receiver advice for a newbie

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's good for you obviously, but it would be nice if we can hear from others users of the 3300,3400,3500 (same pre-amp/amp sections) on the negatives such as getting too warm and shutting down during normal use. Normal means within it's specified output limit.

By the way, I did a quick check on Amazon:
4.5 stars out of 5
81 reviews/ratings

2% 2 stars and 5% one star - Read all of the 2 and 5%, not shutdown related complaints.
68%/20% 5/4 stars

Compared that to the RX-A1080,

4.5 stars out of 5
10% 1 star, 0% 2 star,
72%/11% 5 stars

I recommended both in the past;) in the <$1,000 range.
The rack above it has vents, no fans, perforated sides and open back, no shutdowns ever.
Resizer_15441012685271.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The rack above it has vents, no fans, perforated sides and open back, no shutdowns ever.
View attachment 32646
Nice rack! I am a fan of quiet vfd (or at least lo-med-high) multi-speed fans. My Marantz amp has about 8 inches or more clearance but I still put a fan on top but that's just me. None for the Anthem because it is completely open on the top.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nice rack! I am a fan of quiet vfd (or at least lo-med-high) multi-speed fans. My Marantz amp has about 8 inches or more clearance but I still put a fan on top but that's just me. None for the Anthem because it is completely open on the top.
Just been lazy after the surgery. I'd recommend the same for all gear that fits the criteria. The amp, like most pro amps, has the air flow front to back which I'm assuming is due to the use of racking.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just been lazy after the surgery. I'd recommend the same for all gear that fits the criteria. The amp, like most pro amps, has the air flow front to back which I'm assuming is due to the use of racking.
@everettT,
You didn't read your User's Manual! :DContrarily to most pro amps, the DCA line of QSC amps and I believe all their amps have the air flow from rear to front.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
everettT,
You didn't read your User's Manual! :DContrarily to most pro amps, the DCA line of QSC amps and I believe all their amps have the air flow from back to front.
Yeah the direction was an assumption. The only parts of the manual I read was the input settings and the frequency response filters. :)

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I own the x3400. I flip back and forth from 2 channel listening and 5.1.2 Dolby processor with center spread on. My listening levels range anywhere from -30 to -10. I been as high as -6 but only for a quick moment as I didn’t want to push it. It was loud clear with no signs of distortion, clipping or degradation of any kind. Was it warm a bit but as expected.

What other receivers would challenge its value
The Marantz is basically the same. The Yamaha equivalent has the better dac as PENG pointed out but like the stats I posted prior the amp section is only favorable for 2 channel. The anthem mrx520, and I will refer to Amir’s review, was an even more disappointment. Then there’s the Nad Avr which Amir measured the x3500 amp section to measure better. Like PENG said focus on the numbers and not the fluff.

I am a fan of calibration, I let Audyssey eq below Schroeder and with app is another plus. If you run 2 subwoofers you can get the 2 subs setup individually not just signal split.

What other choices are on the table for sub $1000

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I own the x3400. I flip back and forth from 2 channel listening and 5.1.2 Dolby processor with center spread on. My listening levels range anywhere from -30 to -10. I been as high as -6 but only for a quick moment as I didn’t want to push it. It was loud clear with no signs of distortion, clipping or degradation of any kind. Was it warm a bit but as expected.

What other receivers would challenge its value
The Marantz is basically the same. The Yamaha equivalent has the better dac as PENG pointed out but like the stats I posted prior the amp section is only favorable for 2 channel. The anthem mrx520, and I will refer to Amir’s review, was an even more disappointment. Then there’s the Nad Avr which Amir measured the x3500 amp section to measure better. Like PENG said focus on the numbers and not the fluff.

I am a fan of calibration, I let Audyssey eq below Schroeder and with app is another plus. If you run 2 subwoofers you can get the 2 subs setup individually not just signal split.

What other choices are on the table for sub $1000
Just for clarity, I might have said the DACs of the Yamaha equivalents, such as the RX-A1080, has better DAC for Zone 2 (perhaps other aux functions too, not sure though but Z2 is for sure..)

For the main zone, I didn't mean to say one is better than the other as one has lower distortions and the other better DNR, suffice to say most people on this forum seem to think the DAC chip is not a concern at all.

As for the so called sound quality issue/conern, the X3400H and X4400H are the ones I would standby their performance, for reasons (both subjectively and objectively) I presented before. By extensions, I believe so are the Marantz equivalents, and all of them has to be used within, or best well below their power output limits. External fans are always good to have as they help lower the internal temperature the electronic devices would otherwise be subjected to. Also mentioned before, the internal fans don't normally turn on until they sense dangerously (just my guess) high temperature. Has anyone noticed any of them "ON"? I haven't, and that include the time when I had them on the rack with nominal clearances on top but no ext. fan.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought someone might be interested to know why I asked Amir about the conditions of his tests when he experienced "shutdowns" and also mentioned.................felt pretty warm, eventually leading to amp limiting power output to some 35 watts or so. It has nothing to do with it being about a unit that have been recommended on this forum quite often. I would have asked him the same questions of such comments made if it were a Yamaha, NAD or Pioneer.

I wanted to know more details because I am aware of that fact that for class AB amps, the amp section may have to dissipate more heat at lower output levels than it would have to at rated power or higher; and 35 W for the X3400 (or even integrated and power amps at the lower price range) could be a tough one depending on details on the conditions (e.g. number of channels, load impedance, duration etc.) of the test. An an extreme example, my 4BSST would become very hot to the touch if left on just idling for a few hours than if it was under normal use.

Thanks to AH, and of course @gene again, one does not need to be an EE to read up on highly technical articles, a quick search turned up the easy to read one linked below. I am sure he or his staff had written more on similar topics, but his one should cover the points I would otherwise have to try and make clear but in more clumsy ways..

If you don't have time to read the whole thing, below is one of the important things to consider:

Editorial Note on De-rating Power Ratings by Steve Feinstein

"This was originally 1/3 rated power, in 1974. The FTC had no idea that 1/3 power was smack dab in the middle of a Class AB amp’s least efficient operating range and as a result, all the amps under test ran extremely hot during the preconditioning—even before the actual testing! Many of these amps failed during the preconditioning! The manufacturers either had to de-rate them so they wouldn’t run as hot at a lower power level or they had to redesign them with additional heatsinking. The Dynaco SCA-80—a very popular integrated amp at the time—had to be de-rated from 40 wpc to 30 wpc, because 1/3 of 40 was too hot for the amp to handle. Be wary of bureaucratic interference, even when well-intentioned!"

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As for the so called sound quality issue/conern, the X3400H and X4400H are the ones I would standby their performance, for reasons (both subjectively and objectively) I presented before.
I think it worth noting too that there aren't a bunch of reports and complaints floating around about those units overheating and shutting down either. Of all the times they were recommended I don't recall a single person coming back with problems that weren't related to stuffing one into a cubby with poor ventilation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis