Really really weird issue with Denon 4400H I could use some help with

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man PENG setting up things have sure changed its a lot more complicated. I really had that BD player messing stuff up. That DRC was really affecting my sound. It now sounds great at 80 82. I was wondering why when you said 80 will put you at movie reference I was like Damn it don't feel even close. But know it does. I still like to push it but only 1 or 2 notches not the whole dang volume up to like 90

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Man PENG setting up things have sure changed its a lot more complicated. I really had that BD player messing stuff up. That DRC was really affecting my sound. It now sounds great at 80 82. I was wondering why when you said 80 will put you at movie reference I was like Damn it don't feel even close. But know it does. I still like to push it but only 1 or 2 notches not the whole dang volume up to like 90
Congrats! I can tell your system must be sounding really great with little distortions. I know that because at volume 80 you are getting close to THX reference, may be 2-3 dB short because of mic tolerances and everything else may not be totally accurate. In general, people don't perceive it "loud" even if it really is loud, when sound quality is great. Conversely, if it doesn't sound good, you would perceive it as louder than it really is.

Do me a favor, set volume to 80, and measure the spl from you main mic position with a meter, use C weighting, response set to slow.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats! I can tell your system must be sounding really great with little distortions. I know that because at volume 80 you are getting close to THX reference, may be 2-3 dB short because of mic tolerances and everything else may not be totally accurate. In general, people don't perceive it "loud" even if it really is loud, when sound quality is great. Conversely, if it doesn't sound good, you would perceive it as louder than it really is.

Do me a favor, set volume to 80, and measure the spl from you main mic position with a meter, use C weighting, response set to slow.
Okay I need to learn how to start measuring. It's time to keep growing. Where do I buy a good meter at that can do all the things you just mentioned?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay I need to learn how to start measuring. It's time to keep growing. Where do I buy a good meter at that can do all the things you just mentioned?
Also do you want me to measure with a movie on or with test tones which would be better?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Theres a guitar center right down the road would they sell one there?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Also do you want me to measure with a movie on or with test tones which would be better?
Unless you have some calibration DVD/BD, the internal test tone should be good enough. They were supposed to be recorded at 75 dB (-30 dBFS) but I think they might have reduced it somewhat because I was getting only 71-73 dB on both the AV8801 and X4400H.

For SPL meter,

The popular Radio Shack 33-2050 (analog display) and 33-2055 (digital display) are only available used
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radio-Shack-Sound-Level-Meter-Analog-Display-33-2050/292774008802?hash=item442ab0d7e2:g:j2kAAOSwFYJbxdiN:rk:1:pf:0

I would think anything with similar specs should work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y59XZWH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Unless you have some calibration DVD/BD, the internal test tone should be good enough. They were supposed to be recorded at 75 dB (-30 dBFS) but I think they might have reduced it somewhat because I was getting only 71-73 dB on both the AV8801 and X4400H.

For SPL meter,

The popular Radio Shack 33-2050 (analog display) and 33-2055 (digital display) are only available used
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Radio-Shack-Sound-Level-Meter-Analog-Display-33-2050/292774008802?hash=item442ab0d7e2:g:j2kAAOSwFYJbxdiN:rk:1:pf:0

I would think anything with similar specs should work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y59XZWH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1
Ok thanks I'll get on it let you know what I come up with

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wonder if that's because they're aiming at a summed 85/105 dB reference level as opposed to individual channels?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...noise...only comes on when I put on Dolby Surround...
That is weird. On my Yamaha, I also use “Dolby Surround”, which is DSU when watching ATMOS.

DSU won’t change anything to an ATMOS movie, so you will still get ATMOS.

So on my Yamaha, when playing an ATMOS movie, I can use either DSU or STRAIGHT mode and get ATMOS. For DTSX movie, I can use either DTSNX or STRAIGHT mode and get DTSX.

On the Denon, for ATMOS movies, can you use either DSU or Stereo Mode to get ATMOS? What shows on the LCD when you use Stereo or Direct mode?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That is weird. On my Yamaha, I also use “Dolby Surround”, which is DSU when watching ATMOS.

So on my Yamaha, when playing an ATMOS movie, I can use either DSU or STRAIGHT mode and get ATMOS. For DTSX movie, I can use either DTSNX or STRAIGHT mode and get DTSX.

On the Denon, for ATMOS movies, can you use either DSU or Stereo Mode to get ATMOS? What shows on the LCD when you use Stereo or Direct mode?
I haven't had enough time to tinker with it to find out I'll try it tonight and see what it does. What I found yesterday is if you put it on Dolby it will automatically switch to Atmos if it had it. Same with DTS. I bet it will do that with stereo mode or any other but I'll try it and let you know

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

How does it engage dsu on an Atmos track?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis