Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
My furnace has been out since Thursday night. Called my furnace guy. I need a new furnace. :(

I have an electric heater that I have been using so it's not too bad. The estimate for the furnace wasn't bad as I thought it would be. $4800.00. But, when you're not expecting it, it hurts.

Fortunately, my wife and I put money aside for such things. We can't pay for it in full, but we can get half of it financed at a reasonable rate.
Man, it's always something.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
My furnace has been out since Thursday night. Called my furnace guy. I need a new furnace. :(

I have an electric heater that I have been using so it's not too bad. The estimate for the furnace wasn't bad as I thought it would be. $4800.00. But, when you're not expecting it, it hurts.

Fortunately, my wife and I put money aside for such things. We can't pay for it in full, but we can get half of it financed at a reasonable rate.
Sorry to see this posted bad news. I hope your back up and running soon. It does seem to happen when you least expect it to , :mad:..

It would be great if you can hold on to your set-up through this tough time.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to see this posted bad news. I hope your back up and running soon. ... It would be great if you can hold on to your set-up through this tough time.
Agreed on all counts. Really sorry to hear about your furnace, Barry.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, listen to you. If I didn't know better, I'd figure that you were eating grits while typing that.

:D
Hey, we get all of the American movies and TV shows up here too, you know!

Never mind "Queen's English", you'd probably need an interpreter to understand the English spoken where I grew up. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Never mind "Queen's English", you'd probably need an interpreter to understand the English spoken where I grew up. :D
Is that because it was actually French? :)

I took five years of French classes. Given where I ended up, and the changing demographics in America, it might not have been the best choice for a second language. Oh, well. If I ever move to Canada, I'll at least know when they're cursing. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Sorry to hear Barry.
That sucks; it wouldn't hold out for one more month... Probably would have if it wasn't such a tough winter.

On the bright side (I look at it once a year:D)
The new one will be more efficient.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Is that because it was actually French? :)

I took five years of French classes. Given where I ended up, and the changing demographics in America, it might not have been the best choice for a second language. Oh, well. If I ever move to Canada, I'll at least know when they're cursing. :D
Ha! No, it's not a French region. I grew up in Newfoundland and being somewhat isolated, there are some very strong remnants of "West Country English" dialects to be heard there. Plus, we would use some terms that have died out elsewhere. There is also an area that is very Irish, with a similar residual dialects.

I studied French too, but I've used so little of it, that I would have great difficulty carrying on much of a conversation now.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I studied French too, but I've used so little of it, that I would have great difficulty carrying on much of a conversation now.
Sadly, I couldn't carry on a conversation at the height of my knowledge. On the flip side, though, I can honestly say that I'm almost as good at French now as I was over 20 years ago. :D I was really good at the written portions of the class because I can understand and follow language rules, but I never felt confident in speaking it. I was always an American saying French words, never someone really speaking French. That, and I had the pesky problem of normally not understanding one word in a sentence - but it was always the subject or the verb...which tends to make following a topic a bit difficult. :eek:

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've been putting it off for about an hour, but I think it's time to go vacuum the rocks in my back yard. Weeeee!

Last edited by a moderator:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sadly, I couldn't carry on a conversation at the height of my knowledge. On the flip side, though, I can honestly say that I'm almost as good at French now as I was over 20 years ago. :D I was really good at the written portions of the class because I can understand and language rules, but I never felt confident in speaking it. I was always an American saying French words, never someone really speaking French. That, and I had the pesky problem of normally not understanding one word in a sentence - but it was always the subject or the verb...which tends to make following a topic a bit difficult. :eek:
I guess you need to reach a level of fluency where you don't have to translate in your head, what the other person is saying. Because if you have to, you just fall behind the conversation. I never truly reached that level either.:eek: In the end, I believe you need to be well-immersed in a second language in order to gain much proficiency with it, i.e. live in an area where the language is commonly spoken.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Yikes, that really sucks. I remember when the furnace died last Spring in my place. The only good part about that was that last year it was reasonably warm this time of year so we could put off replacing it until the end of the summer.

On the bright side, when the furnace is paid off and you recoup a bit, you can replace those EMP's with some Salk's, Phils, or what have you :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I guess you need to reach a level of fluency where you don't have to translate in your head, what the other person is saying. Because if you have to, you just fall behind the conversation. I never truly reached that level either.:eek: In the end, I believe you need to be well-immersed in a second language in order to gain much proficiency with it, i.e. live in an area where the language is commonly spoken.
Where Adam is, that should make learning Spanish a breeze :p

Heck, the men's soccer league I usually play in during the summer is 80% Hispanic where I am. Plus my on again off again summer job is heavily Hispanic (at least with the work I'm doing) so I can curse equally well in French and Spanish.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the comments!

Hey, worse things have happened to better people. And, it could have been worse for me. Much worse. I thought I had lung cancer. Took a day off work last week because of this lingering cold and cough. I got worried because I started coughing up blood, had lower back pain, and made some poor, very poor, decisions when I was younger. Quit smoking ten years ago, but cancer is still in the back of my mind.

As far as selling the gear goes, the speakers are just too big for my room if I'm honest. It looks kind of silly. I'll use my PSB's for surrounds and move my Def TEchs to the front and run a phantom center.
Plus, like Fuzz said, I'm already 'shopping'. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a blu-ray, ink cartridges, and coffee heading my way this week. It's almost like Christmas.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Please send the coffee to me. We had 6 cups of coffee and two teas with those dang K-Cups yesterday. I think this is going to get expensive.
I have a blu-ray, ink cartridges, and coffee heading my way this week. It's almost like Christmas.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Please send the coffee to me. We had 6 cups of coffee and two teas with those dang K-Cups yesterday. I think this is going to get expensive.
Sorry, man. These are Vue pods that won't work in your machine.

Plus, you'll slow down once the novelty wears off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis