Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Adam has been busy. Loading up on ammunition is not a good sign.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think you're likely to hear your blower struggle but think about how much more restrictive your filters are and how much more quickly that would fill them with trapped particles and how much more restrictive that would make them. It could probably be expressed in some mathematical formula where your filters that are rated at double the microparticles clog up in one quarter the time. Yep, true fact I just made up.
You're exactly right.
It puts more load on the blower motor.
Over the years I've spoken to every HVAC guy I see on various jobs, and they all say the same thing. Use the cheapest filter,(read least restrictive) just change them more often.
The other issue is that many AC service calls stem from frozen "A" coils due to reduced incoming warm air.
Also, running without a filter would clog the coils with dust reducing their efficiency.
This works out perfectly in the Boring Thread.:D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You're exactly right.
It puts more load on the blower motor.
Over the years I've spoken to every HVAC guy I see on various jobs, and they all say the same thing. Use the cheapest filter,(read least restrictive) just change them more often.The other issue is that many AC service calls stem from frozen "A" coils due to reduced incoming warm air.
Also, running without a filter would clog the coils with dust reducing their efficiency.
This works out perfectly in the Boring Thread.:D
Hmmm, wouldn't you change them less often? Being less restrictive, they would allow more dust to pass through and as a result, take longer to clog. If you want finer filtration, then you would need to change them more often. As I mentioned, multi-stage filtration is the answer.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
See, Adam? You can make women happy with the help of a dog.
Sure, with the help of another guy.

Something tells me you don't change your filter all that often.
Just a hunch.
A reasonable hunch. :D But, no, I'm actually pretty good about changing the filter. Sometimes a bit later than I should, sometimes a bit sooner than needed. All in all, though, I think that it's about right.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
go home and play Skyrim
I wish it could be this easy - my manager is out on vaca (also playing Skyrim) and one of us must man the post. Trust me - if he would be here - I'd find the way to get home.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmm, wouldn't you change them less often? Being less restrictive, they would allow more dust to pass through and as a result, take longer to clog. If you want finer filtration, then you would need to change them more often. As I mentioned, multi-stage filtration is the answer.
It does seem counter intuitive as first. It did to me, because I had just bought a case of those ultra super filters.:D
The example I was given used those blue fiberglass filters; the openings are fairly large compared to the pleated paper. As the blue filters start to clog they begin to funnel the air & dust toward the larger openings. A bit like a venturi effect. They start to pass the dust that's already trapped in them. It was suggested to change them more frequently. I never liked the fiberglass filters, and used the least restrictive paper.
It turned out that two years ago when I replaced my furnace it came with it's own cleanable filter, it looks like a fine window screen.
Edit: Forgot about the Multistage filters.
They are better, but nobody wants to pay for them.
Unless the plans call for them, an HVAC guy would loose every bid.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just bought two highly restrictive filters and was all excited, and you guys are ruining it for me! :mad:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis