Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Got my prize today!
District 9 - blu-ray - courtesy of Matt.
Awesome. It's a shame I have rehearsal tonight and can't check it out until the weekend.

-pat

J

jamie2112

Banned
Got my prize today!
District 9 - blu-ray - courtesy of Matt.
Awesome. It's a shame I have rehearsal tonight and can't check it out until the weekend.

-pat
It will be there anytime you want to watch it buddy........

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Battery Boring !!!

They also can handle more charging cycles before they won't accept charging.
That's not covered in the link but I'll take your word for it. The regular NiCad's from DeWalt last a very long time as it is. I had a pair last me over 3 years but that was with moderate use.

They higher cell voltages only result in a lighter weight as far as I can tell. The only thing that kills a NiCad quickly that I do is operating the vacuum. None of those tools is meant for all day every day use any way so the weight reduction is 'cute' but not cute enough to justify the expense. An extended run time would be of no benefit to me as the NiCad's are pretty tough to drain with normal use. If the run time was significantly greater I guess it might be useful with the saw but even that is sort of Romper Room. If you really need a circular saw you get a real one.

It's really all about the hammer drill for me. I have one of those Bosch Bulldogs

but when I need to sink a couple of Tap-Cons, that bad boy is an hour away in storage. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am officially resisting the Lithium-ion trend but it's only because I am already fully functional like Data with my four NiCad's. BTW, this stuff is only for personal projects. We aren't allowed to bring power tools to work.

... and Halon, yes, Ryobi sucks ... just look at the price.
It's like TLS says about the most expensive thing you'll ever buy is something cheap. :D

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
That's not covered in the link but I'll take your word for it. The regular NiCad's from DeWalt last a very long time as it is. I had a pair last me over 3 years but that was with moderate use.

They higher cell voltages only result in a lighter weight as far as I can tell. The only thing that kills a NiCad quickly that I do is operating the vacuum. None of those tools is meant for all day every day use any way so the weight reduction is 'cute' but not cute enough to justify the expense. An extended run time would be of no benefit to me as the NiCad's are pretty tough to drain with normal use. If the run time was significantly greater I guess it might be useful with the saw but even that is sort of Romper Room. If you really need a circular saw you get a real one.

It's really all about the hammer drill for me. I have one of those Bosch Bulldogs

but when I need to sink a couple of Tap-Cons, that bad boy is an hour away in storage. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am officially resisting the Lithium-ion trend but it's only because I am already fully functional like Data with my four NiCad's. BTW, this stuff is only for personal projects. We aren't allowed to bring power tools to work.

... and Halon, yes, Ryobi sucks ... just look at the price.
It's like TLS says about the most expensive thing you'll ever buy is something cheap. :D
Alex,

NiCad's require an intelligent user; Lithium-Ion don't. On NiCad you recharge slowly after the battery is COMPLETELY depleated. If you recharge NiCad too soon then it starts remembering and thinking that is the capacity is the recharge capacity not the total capacity. Also recharging too fast depleted the life. Alex ...you just proved your intelligence :rolleyes:

Lithium Ion however, have no memory and no negative effected by recharging either partial or full discharge. That is why they are so good on laptops, blackberries, phones, and PDAs.; people are always trying to "top" them off.

There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap; cheap is junk. Inexpensive means showing proper fudiciary responsibility! That is why I like Makita better! ;)

Peace and Serenity,

Forest Man

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I just got back from taking some work people to a boring dinner.

We aren't allowed to bring power tools to work.
Because you use air tools at work or they just don't allow you to use power tools at all?:eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that sounds about right. :)
Innuendo. :D

NiCad's require an intelligent user ...
When you have two batteries with a drill it's pretty easy. When the battery dies, it goes into the charger. The other battery is already fully charged like the one you just depleted will be in about an hour. What gets me is when somebody drains a battery and doesn't immediately charge it. Like, are they waiting for a better time? Maybe if they forget to charge it, they can have two dead batteries eventually. That way nothing works.

I like Makita better!
For cordless drills nothing tops DeWalt for RPM's and probably torque in that 14.4 Volt - 18 Volt range.
The Makita is a very pretty blue color though. :p
My friend has the Makita Lithium-ion drill. The RPM's don't go as high as I like but it is very light and it has a little LED light that you might think is a joke but it is actually very handy. :)

For running screws I use a DeWalt 14.4 Volt Impact Driver with a standard 3-1/2" magnetic shaft: nice and light but unstoppable.

I see guys try all sorts of stuff but nothing has ever measures up and lasts like DeWalt for cordless tools and Drywall Screw Guns ... ever. ;)

While we're on the subject I also have this cute little toy:

I bought that and the regular drill way back for some side work that I did way back. I'd like to do some more side work with them now. Who needs their house fixed? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Because you use air tools at work or they just don't allow you to use power tools at all?:eek:
Union rules say that the worker only provides hand tools. That keeps the playing field level for the workers and it keeps the employer from using 'provided equipment' as a type of kick back.

A family man isn't going to be put out of a job because he doesn't have the disposable income to throw at equipment like a single guy would. That's what I mean by level playing field. Trade unions are competitive and you do get axed for poor performance. My last time out I could barely hang with the big dogs due to being out of shape physically and just plain rusty. The poor economy has also created a surplus of talented guys on the open market and the bids on jobs have cut all the fat out. It's tough all over. ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Become an engineer. You don't need to be in shape for that.

I bet that you'd be one of the engineers looking at other people's shoes. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm watching Speed.

I don't get it anymore (leave it alone :)), but I can still remember that sinking feeling in my stomach when the bus hits the baby stroller. Man, what a scene that was.

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Drinking a mint chocholate chip shake

I believe this is a good post to this thread except the shake isn't that boring. I made it with heavy whipping cream instead of milk.... Yum... 5 grams of fat per tablespoon. I'll be dead by 19

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
niki

Adam, my son really likes your avatar, he points and screams kiddy!!! ... I know, he still doesn't know the difference between cats and dogs

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, my son really likes your avatar, he points and screams kiddy!!! ... I know, he still doesn't know the difference between cats and dogs
Thanks! I'd say give him a lick for her, but there are some real perverts on this forum. :D

BTW, you probably missed when I posted about this:

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Is that what you did to your #%$lude?

Nice car though, It might possibly beat my wrangler in the quarter mile:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Effing infomercials. I'm getting my fourth beer, and there's a commercial on for a workout machine. Now I feel guilty.

Okay, not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis