Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
majorloser

majorloser

At my local pawn shop I found an irresistable deal on one of those DeWalt 'suitcase' things full of battery operated tools for $120. It's all 18 Volt XRP. I already have the Drill and vacuum with 3 batteries. This acquisition adds a sawzall, 6-1/2" circular saw, hammer drill and flashlight to the deal but only comes with 1 battery. That's not a detractor for me.

Now that I got to bragging about my score, I realized that this stuff takes lithium ion batteries. Everything works with the regular battery that comes with it but I did notice that the base of the tool has a different shape than the base of the battery. Now I know why. Those lithium ion batteries are expensive and there really are no deals there. They are just nice because of their low weight but I'm gonna be fine with my Frankenstein batteries.
That's still a nice find! The Li batteries last much longer. Once you buy them you'll be set.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
At my local pawn shop I found an irresistable deal on one of those DeWalt 'suitcase' things full of battery operated tools for $120. It's all 18 Volt XRP. I already have the Drill and vacuum with 3 batteries. This acquisition adds a sawzall, 6-1/2" circular saw, hammer drill and flashlight to the deal but only comes with 1 battery. That's not a detractor for me.

Now that I got to bragging about my score, I realized that this stuff takes lithium ion batteries. Everything works with the regular battery that comes with it but I did notice that the base of the tool has a different shape than the base of the battery. Now I know why. Those lithium ion batteries are expensive and there really are no deals there. They are just nice because of their low weight but I'm gonna be fine with my Frankenstein batteries.

Those are nice!
Did you win those in another AH contest?:D

We've got six of those kits with the hammer drill and sawzall.
They take a beating considering their daily use.
I've been replacing one or two variable speed triggers on the drills each year.
Other than that no complaints. I would like a pistol grip on the drill instead of the T- handle.
You know what I mean; considering all the drywall you do, I'm assuming you prefer the pistol grip too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have Speed on blu-ray arriving today. I've always enjoyed that movie, and apparently, the blu-ray transfer was quite good.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Yahoo :)

I was dismissed early; a large scheduled trial reached settlement :)

Serenity,

Forest Man

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

That is quite fascinating. That's enough tools to start some fun projects.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Innuendo - An innuendo is, according to the Advanced Oxford Learner's Dictionary, "an indirect remark about somebody or something, usually suggesting something bad or rude; the use of remarks like this: innuendoes about her private life or The song is full of sexual innuendo." The word is often used to express disapproval.[1]

An innuendo is a baseless invention of thoughts or ideas. It can also be a remark or question, typically disparaging (also called insinuation), that works obliquely by allusion. In the latter sense, the intention is often to insult or accuse someone in such a way that one's words, taken literally, are innocent.

The term sexual innuendo has acquired a specific meaning, namely that of a "risque" double entendre by playing on a possibly sexual interpretation of an otherwise innocent uttering.

For example, if you were playing billiards, you might say "hold my balls", meaning the pool balls, but that can also have a sexual innuendo to it (ie. the scrotum).

Innuendo - Adam's word of the week..
But Adam usually plays pool with his dates which are women so I bedlamized :confused:

Peace and serenity,

Forest Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai

That's a sweet set of power tools - I have the same exact one. Crushes the cheaper Ryobi stuff that Home Depot hawks so much. I've dropped that drill off the top of a 10 foot ladder onto concrete before and it still works like a champ - didn't even break a sweat!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I just got my son a few years ago with that.My dad got me good,I was out there beatin the grass for an hour..:D
My dad never got me on the snipe hunt, but he did get me good one day. I was about 12. He had a dandelion in his hand. You know how they get when they turn all white and are ready to spread their seeds? He told me that this one was magical. It could find things. In fact, (he handed me a small rock) if you hide this somewhere on your body, I will be able to find it, as long as you don't put it in your mouth. So, he turned his back and I put the rock in my pocket. He ran the dandelion up and down my front. Then my back. He checked my sides, and under my arms. Then he said, "you must have put it in your mouth." I told him that I hadn't, but he didn't believe me. "Open your mouth" he said. So I did, and he shoved that dandelion down my throat.
All them fuzzy white things took forever to spit out.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
have you ever terminated cable with a sawzall :eek:
With a double insulated sawzall you can go right through live wires! :eek:
It's the quickest way to find the breaker for that circuit. :D

I'm assuming you prefer the pistol grip too.
DeWalt had a pistol grip cordless hammer some years back. I don't like them because they are poorly balanced and they won't stand on the battery. A screw gun gets held so that your ring finger works the trigger. Anybody using their index finger on the trigger of a gun is still wet behind the ears. :D

... but we all start there. ;)

Hey Major !!!

Sorry for yelling but I wanted to get your attention. What do you mean Li lasts longer. Like in between charges or battery life? :confused:

majorloser

majorloser

Both!

Lithium-ion batteries have several advantages:

They have a higher energy density than most other types of rechargeables. This means that for their size or weight they can store more energy than other rechargeable batteries. They also operate at higher voltages than other rechargeables, typically about 3.7 volts for lithium-ion vs. 1.2 volts for NiMH or NiCd. This means a single cell can often be used rather than multiple NiMH or NiCd cells.

Lithium-ion batteries also have a lower self discharge rate than other types of rechargeable batteries. This means that once they are charged they will retain their charge for a longer time than other types of rechargeable batteries. NiMH and NiCd batteries can lose anywhere from 1-5% of their charge per day, (depending on the storage temperature) even if they are not installed in a device. Lithium-ion batteries will retain most of their charge even after months of storage.

So in summary; lithium-ion batteries can be smaller or lighter, have a higher voltage and hold a charge much longer than other types of batteries.
http://www.greenbatteries.com/libafa.html

They also can handle more charging cycles before they won't except charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis