Real Explosions vs Movie Special Effects

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is this any worse than when two ships in space shoot at each other in a Sci-Fi movie? Let's compare:
Movie: KA-BOOOOOOOMMMMMM.RUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLE.....
Real space: _________________________________________!
Dude, the sound waves are carried in the expanding gas released from the exploding ship. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Don't you ruin my space battles. :p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, the sound waves are carried in the expanding gas released during my power dumps. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Don't you ruin my space battles. :p
Fixed for ya.:p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I real life explosions have more impact due to the shock wave. It's more felt than heard.

Canada has submarines? And they work? :eek:
Subs yes.... 2nd hand diesel electrics that we bought from the Brits...very quiet running supposedly but since they are always in dry dock under repair I suppose they would be.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Subs yes.... 2nd hand diesel electrics that we bought from the Brits...very quiet running supposedly but since they are always in dry dock under repair I suppose they would be.
Wrong. Two are operational right now. But, you won't hear about that in the news, because it ain't "newsworthy".;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wrong. Two are operational right now.
:eek: When did that happen? Still these things were NOT worth the money and probably was the worst purchase they ever made. The Brits saws us coming wthen they sold us those.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't say rifles (except rimfire) sound wimpy in real life, they're very loud when you're close and I always wear hearing protection. They usually do sound different than in the movies, mainly action ones but some older westerns come pretty close.

Steve
I have to agree. Long rifles can be and often are extremely loud depending on the cartridge. Sure that .223 (5.56) is pretty wimpy but when you step up to .308 (7.62) things change. Something that most people haven’t experienced is firing a weapon in a confined space which is on a whole other level of loud. Well I guess some people shoot at indoor ranges… so I guess it’s not that rare, but probably still not the same as firing from inside a truck cabin.</SPAN>:D

Anyways, the movie We Were Soldiers does a fairly accurate job of capturing the sound of M16s in use if I remember correctly. </SPAN>:rolleyes:

But yeah movie stuff is fake…lol like all of Hollywood. </SPAN>

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I have to agree. Long rifles can be and often are extremely loud depending on the cartridge. Sure that .223 (5.56) is pretty wimpy but when you step up to .308 (7.62) things change. Something that most people haven’t experienced is firing a weapon in a confined space which is on a whole other level of loud. Well I guess some people shoot at indoor ranges… so I guess it’s not that rare, but probably still not the same as firing from inside a truck cabin.:D
I don't know that I'd call a .223 wimpy; you're not going to mistake it for a .22LR at a minimum. I will say this much though: one of the louder things I've ever encountered was being next to a guy firing a M1 Garand at an indoor range. Even with hearing protection, it got your attention...

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I don't know that I'd call a .223 wimpy; you're not going to mistake it for a .22LR at a minimum. I will say this much though: one of the louder things I've ever encountered was being next to a guy firing a M1 Garand at an indoor range. Even with hearing protection, it got your attention...
Don’t get me wrong I like .223 as a round and it’s definitely louder than a .22LR, so perhaps wimpy was the wrong adjective. </SPAN></SPAN>

It’s just that I don’t find the sounds of an AR15/M16 that objectionable…personally.
</SPAN>

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
When the purchase agreement was signed, we were getting them for a song. It was the cost of fixing the bugs and updating them that cost so much. The value for money is most certainly debatable. However, it's almost pointless. It was a time of severe fiscal restraint which coincided with the end of the useful lives of our previous submarines. So, it was these boats or nothing. It's been a long, hard, expensive road to get them up to snuff. Anyway, the point behind linking the video, was to contrast the sound of a real torpedo detonation with what you might hear from Hollywood, not to discuss the merits of the boat that fired it.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
This video contains audio from the detonation of a Mk48 torpedo. Just a short, sharp crack is heard. If you have little/no interest in submarines, skip ahead to about 13:00. Quite a contrast to what Hollywood would've done with it.
Well to be fair, it is a Canadian torpedo. I'm sure when it was sold to you guys, they took out all the actual explosives and replaced it with a few of these:
Bang snaps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
The only caveat that should be considered with the video is that we do not know how the sound was captured. Where was the recording device located and was it of sufficient quality to capture all of the sonic effects of the torpedo’s detonation? </SPAN>

With that being said, I’m still sure it sounds different than Hollywood’s presentation of the same event. </SPAN>

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Don’t get me wrong I like .223 as a round and it’s definitely louder than a .22LR, so perhaps wimpy was the wrong adjective. </SPAN></SPAN>

It’s just that I don’t find the sounds of an AR15/M16 that objectionable…personally.
</SPAN>
The most annoying part of the M16's sound is that "BOIIIING" sound that the recoil spring makes right beside your ear.:rolleyes:

The loudest rifle I've ever fired was my Lee Enfield .303 Jungle Carbine. Might be due to the fact that the barrel is 6.5" shorter than my No.1 Mk III. It kicked like a mule too...

However, the thing about rifles and handguns is that they may be loud, but the frequency of the sound seems to be quite a bit higher than they make them sound in most movies.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The only caveat that should be considered with the video is that we do not know how the sound was captured. Where was the recording device located and was it of sufficient quality to capture all of the sonic effects of the torpedo’s detonation? </SPAN>

With that being said, I’m still sure it sounds different than Hollywood’s presentation of the same event. </SPAN>
I'm guessing that the microphone was the same one used to record the dialog inside the boat - I highly doubt they would've rigged one external to the pressure hull. As to the quality of the microphone, I have no idea.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No, I'm not a teacher; that would be my wife. My profession? Well that's classified :p
Yeah, I remembered that right after I posted. That's why I edited it - but not quickly enough. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis