F

flippo

Full Audioholic
I want to re veneer my sub due to me doing a poor job the first time. What is the best way to remove old veneer?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What kind of glue did you use? If it's really on there and doesn't want to come off, I would make sure it's stable and veneer over it. If you used PVA wood glue or hide glue of any kind, use a clothes iron. If you don't want to mess up the one you have, buy one for the job (rummage sale, or Walmart has them for about $12). This should work for contact cement, too.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Use a heat gun. I've used it both for veneer/contact cement and veneer/cold press glue.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Heat Gun should work. Take it easy; not everything wants to be 1100 degrees. Might need a putty knife to help it along. Don't burn yourself! Don't melt the woofer surround or burn the cones!

Then you will have to remove the glue residue, which requires a bit of elbow grease and maybe rent a belt sander from Home Depot / Lowes / etc.

For the replacement veneer you can buy it with it's own adhesive already applied. Much better results if you're not a skilled finish carpenter. Ask whomever you buy the veneer from how to apply it. Might need to buy an Olfa knife, regardless use a new blade.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis