A

awesomebase

Audioholic
I'm probably a year away from actually getting these, but in terms of planning out the home theater, I have to start very soon since it affects the way that I construct my basement.
I'm considering the use of traditional speakers from Klipsch's reference line, namely the RF-7s for the fronts and probably RB-75s for surrounds and an RSW-15 sub. However, I've heard some great things about RBH and was interested in particular with their built-in speakers (I don't like what Klipsch has to offer in this regard). It would certainly be an excellent space saver, but more importantly, I want to know if anybody has tried RBH's built in speakers and what they thought of them. I like the 6100s for built-ins, but I'm not sure about their sound, though they have pretty impressive specs considering that they are "built-in". I see that Audioholics just posted a review of the 6000s, but I'm not sure whether that is much different from the 6100s except that the 6100s have two more tweeters. Any experience or opinions? Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You really can't make a fair comparison between the Klipsch vs RBH. They are an entirely different animal despite them both being excellent performers.

The Klipsch are ultra efficient and play loud, but are conversely not in the same league musically as the RBH's. The RBH's are more open and natural sounding. CinemaSITE is truly hard to beat in terms of performance, value, and aesthetics.

Check out our first look article on CinemaSITE at:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/RBHSoundCinemaSITEreview1.php
(formal review is coming shortly)

We are also in the process of reviewing the Klipsch THX Ultra System right now.

I would say if you lean more towards movie watching, and loud party going, go with the Klipsch. If you want a more musical presentation and have the extra oomph in amplifier power, go RBH.

6100's work great if you can get at least 8-10 feet away from them in a 3000cuft room or greater, otherwise I would go with the 6000's.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Interesting analysis

Thanks for the info Gene! It is like you said in terms of my conundrum... I'm not sure if I really want to go all out with the RBH design, especially since this "built-in" system would be difficult to wrestle loose of the house if we ever decide to move. However, as much as I love the Klipsch speakers, space is at a greater premium. Not that the room would be small, but I like the idea of having the speakers close to being flush with the projector's screen. As you mentioned as well, I would like a warmer, more detailed sound though I have to admit that I'm a little spoiled by the power that my upstairs Klipsch system provides. I like that. I'm sure that RBH is powerful but would probably require a good set of separates and that puts another wrinkle into the budget for this. I don't want to go overboard. I know that Axiom produces some in-wall designs but their approach seems more like a kind of "hybrid" in-wall / freestanding setup.
I had read the review you sent the link to before but had forgotten that 6100s were used. I am leaning to that setup just because of the space and sound-quality considerations, even if I don't get the type of volume I can get with the Klipsch, that is alright. I'm sure in my size room (~12 x 19 x 7 feet) it should be plenty. I am still wondering how to deal with the subs, I know that there are built-ins as well, but the depth is 9" as opposed to 3.5". So, there is a lot of planning to do in this regard.
Also, are there places where RBH is sold other than at brick and mortar A/V stores? They don't mention online where one can find them or what their prices are. That would be helpful for planning. Thanks!

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
2¢ more

Have you considered any On-wall options like the new Def Tech Mythos Eights.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis