RBH Sound Impression 85-1 Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are your thoughts on running them in say< 2.1? LEF/+mains in a 5.1/5.2 surround. assuming one isn't using a Yamaha AVR that has say, one DSP set to on? in 2 channel set with Sub use. (Extra Bass) set to on. assuming.
When I had the Revel Salon2 (XO frequencies 150Hz, 575Hz, 2.3kHz), I set my Salon2 to SMALL and XO in my Denon to 150Hz. They sounded great.

When I had the KEF Reference 201/2 (XO frequencies 145Hz, 2.5kHz) I set my KEF to SMALL and XO in my Denon to 150Hz. They sounded great.

When you had your $2K/pair RBH R-55E (XO 120Hz, 3kHz) and dedicated Sub, didn’t you set them up as Small in your Yamaha AVR?

Editorial Note by Shane Rich: Regarding Bass Crossover
I’m personally not a fan of a crossover point on the woofer that high, even if it is a 2nd order filter as long as the midrange drivers support lower frequency response (which is the case for the R-55E). There is there is still too much midrange energy from the woofers that negatively affects the imaging. I chose to implement a 1st order filter on the R-55E bass drivers at 120Hz.
Response by Steve Feinstein (Reviewer):
RBH has a valid point about the first-order woofer slope. 120Hz at 6 dB/oct means the woofer is only down 6dB at 240Hz and still only 12dB down at 480Hz--yes, the woofers will still have some audible output well into the midrange. Plus, 1st-order slopes preserve coherent phase, so there is no potentially distracting phase shift right in the heart of the sensitive vocal region of the midrange.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
They look like excellent low cost speakers for the right sized room. I had towers with a powered sub and a passive radiator on one side of each Tower They sounded excellent until one of the amps quit. I Like that these are passive so no amp to worry about.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
When I had the Revel Salon2 (XO frequencies 150Hz, 575Hz, 2.3kHz), I set my Salon2 to SMALL and XO in my Denon to 150Hz. They sounded great.

When I had the KEF Reference 201/2 (XO frequencies 145Hz, 2.5kHz) I set my KEF to SMALL and XO in my Denon to 150Hz. They sounded great.

When you had your $2K/pair RBH R-55E (XO 120Hz, 3kHz) and dedicated Sub, didn’t you set them up as Small in your Yamaha AVR?

Andrew, that would be a Big Fat Nooo!!! Lol. Me being me, I'm a BassAholic!!:D I set (Sub) PEQ (manual). Trimmed that cheap 12" sub to my liking. And Full Range set 2.1 with (Extra Bass) in YAPO> settings to "ON" :D.
Only use that setting for 2.1 music (Critical listening) with Volume set depending on my mood, sometimes reference :D level. But then Neighbors start coming out their house. And PoPo comes driving by real slow the first pass by. Second time PoPo passes by with lights on, than I lower volume down to -25dbs.:) Now to Answer your question, for movie surround I'll use those settings in your post as a starting point in a 5.1.So yes Sir! Towers are dialed in on settings to small. plus I'll take Yamaha A4A out of manual set in PEQ to what Yamaha ARC set to (Flat) when I ran Auto Set with the supplied ("Mic+ stand) that Yamaha supplied with the Aventage. I call it my boomerang stand.;)

Edit @AcuDefTechGuy those Elite towers, R-55E are a very Special RBH tower, give them room to Breathe for the lack of a better word. One will understand the full meaning of why RBH will not stamp a unworthy speaker won't stamp the RBH name badge on the grills. That's the only pair of RBH towers I've ever owned. I can only imagine what your RBH towers sound like. Gene has Flagship RBH towers. To use an analogy of RBH speakers, think high Octane fuel for Pro Funny car 1/4 mile drag. High performance high quality sound with ungodly amount of bass accuracy and clarity. If you ever been to a drag race, you know how loud it can get well that's RBH speaker's, and still sound great at reference levels. :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew, that would be a Big Fat Nooo!!! Lol. Me being me, I'm a BassAholic!!:D I set (Sub) PEQ (manual). Trimmed that cheap 12" sub to my liking. And Full Range set 2.1 with (Extra Bass) in YAPO> settings to "ON" :D.
Only use that setting for 2.1 music (Critical listening) with Volume set depending on my mood, sometimes reference :D level. But then Neighbors start coming out their house. And PoPo comes driving by real slow the first pass by. Second time PoPo passes by with lights on, than I lower volume down to -25dbs.:) Now to Answer your question, for movie surround I'll use those settings in your post as a starting point in a 5.1.So yes Sir! Towers are dialed in on settings to small. plus I'll take Yamaha A4A out of manual set in PEQ to what Yamaha ARC set to (Flat) when I ran Auto Set with the supplied ("Mic+ stand) that Yamaha supplied with the Aventage. I call it my boomerang stand.;)

Edit @AcuDefTechGuy those Elite towers, R-55E are a very Special RBH tower, give them room to Breathe for the lack of a better word. One will understand the full meaning of why RBH will not stamp a unworthy speaker won't stamp the RBH name badge on the grills. That's the only pair of RBH towers I've ever owned. I can only imagine what your RBH towers sound like. Gene has Flagship RBH towers. To use an analogy of RBH speakers, think high Octane fuel for Pro Funny car 1/4 mile drag. High performance high quality sound with ungodly amount of bass accuracy and clarity. If you ever been to a drag race, you know how loud it can get well that's RBH speaker's, and still sound great at reference levels. :)
Oh, so in 2CH mode, you can set the Yamaha front speakers to LARGE + EXTRA BASS and still get LFE output (2.1CH)?

But for 5.1CH+ modes, you need to set speakers to SMALL to get LFE.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Oh, so in 2CH mode, you can set the Yamaha front speakers to LARGE + EXTRA BASS and still get LFE output (2.1CH)?

But for 5.1CH+ modes, you need to set speakers to SMALL to get LFE.
From my understanding, 2.1 (Extra Bass)set to on in 2.0 Yamaha calls that setting (Extra Bass) :rolleyes: filtered at 120Hz? According to Gene & PENG. I never called into Yamaha CS, who knows what one will get speaking to a first Yamaha CS rep. I do not believe LFE is out putted using 2.0 than activating (Extra Bass) in the setting 2.0 without activating .1Sub will not receive a low pass signal. But I believe you know that already. Assuming;) since in your dedicated HT room with those, what 12-12" passive subs you have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis